Kitty litters - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was in this small independent pet supply store this morning, checking out what they had for cat litter....they carry alot of "natural" types.....but I saw one called CRYSTAL CAT LITTER.......made out of non toxic sillica crystals. It said you only have to change out the litter once a month.

Just wondering if anyone has used this.....or any other types of cat litter that they recommend.

I was given some info when I adopted both my cats about how bad clumping litter is.....so Ive been using really cheap basic cat litter.
#2 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried the silica litter and the noise they make when they are using it is awful. It is really noisy. They also track it all over and get it in their pads. It may last a month but you still have to scoop the poops.

We switched to feline pine and it lasts a long time, smells good, is nontoxic, is biodegradable, and does not get tracked everywhere.
#3 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM

I have 5 cats so it's not cost efficient for me.
Some folks with 1 cat swear by it

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#4 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 PM

why is clumping litter bad?
#5 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polka123
I have 5 cats so it's not cost efficient for me.
Some folks with 1 cat swear by it
What do you use? What is your litterbox setup? I have 7 cats and we are getting ready to move, so I'm looking for ideas.

I haven't tried the crystal litter yet, though I've been thinking about it. Does it clump, or how do you remove the urine?

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 07:18 PM

We use an off-brand of clumping litter.
It's called "Snuffys" & it's a heavier, thicker type of scoopable - almost like regular old cat litter.
Now Petsmart used to sell a brand of litter called Dr. Easleys or somehting similar that worked well. It was a heavier, scoopable littler.
My cats do not like the fine grain stuff.
I've tried the Newspaper & Pine stuff but it just does not hold up tp 5 cats

I have an extra-large hooded litter pan I bought @ Petsmart.
All 5 kitties will use & we clean 1-2X/daily

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#7 of 25 Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
why is clumping litter bad?

The material that makes clumping clay kitty litters clump is sodium bentonite, a naturally occuring mineral resource that is mined by the ton in Western India. When air-dried, it retains an earthy aroma that is said to be appealing to cats. Unfortunately, it also has other, less benign properties Particles of sodium bentonite are capable of swelling to 15-18 times its dry size and then sticking tightly together . This makes sodium bentonite a great ingredient for sealants and grouts. Not for the insides of a cat. (Cats dont eat it-they lick it from their bodies in the form of dust, when they clean themselves.)

Inside a cat, the litter expands, forming a hard insoluble mass. It coats the digestive tract, encouraging old fecal matter to collect and become toxic. The litter also absorbs moisture in the intestines, causing blockages and dehydration, preventing the proper absorption of nutrients or fluids. THis process is especially damaging for kittens, whose intestines are small. This can become fatal to a kitten in a matter of weeks. Older cats using these litters have been found to suffer from stressed immune systems, increased infections, respiratory problems, diarrhea and vomiting. Because such a range of symptoms exists, "clumping litter syndrome" isnt necessarily easy to recognize. THe ASPCA, and many vets, now recommend against using clumping litter for kittens.

More info:

http://www.sonic.net/~marina/articles/clump.html
#8 of 25 Old 08-10-2005, 09:46 PM

eeek! How do I know if my kitty litter has this stuff in it?!?
#9 of 25 Old 08-11-2005, 01:26 AM

AFAIK, the above hazards/problems are true of *all* clay-based clumping litters. You can try a non-clay based clumping litter such as Swheat Scoop or World's Best Cat Litter instead, or a non-clumping natural or recycled litter (Feline Pine or the one made from recycled newspapers whose name I cannot remember).
#10 of 25 Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

On the link I listed above, it lists the different natural litters and she even reviewed them.

Im using just a plain clay litter, but I read even that has alot of dust.....and that mining clay (or however they get it) is really bad for the environment. So Im going to switch too.
#11 of 25 Old 08-11-2005, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee
AFAIK, the above hazards/problems are true of *all* clay-based clumping litters. You can try a non-clay based clumping litter such as Swheat Scoop or World's Best Cat Litter instead, or a non-clumping natural or recycled litter (Feline Pine or the one made from recycled newspapers whose name I cannot remember).

Yesterday's News :LOL

Ok, I was going to start this thread, so instead I'll hijack it.

I have used Swheat Scoop for many years and love it! My cats reall like it, it has a nice smaell out of the bag, clumps well, and isn't too dusty. My problem is that my cats live in an outdoor enclosure while I live with Mom. It is actually a greenhouse with a brick floor. SO, when the cats spill litter out tof the box, it gets stuck to the damp floor and molds. Ew, and hard to clean up (BTW, if this litter sticks to the sides of the litter box, just greese it 1-2x per week either PAM, or your own recipe).

Anyhoo, I have tried World's Best, and it does not mold! The cats still perfer Sweat Scoop and this does not clump as well, but it is a good alternative while the cats live in their greenhouse. And they tolerate it.

The crystal non-silica litter works ok. My cats were not crazy about it, the noise is *shudder* icky, and I hate stepping on the crystals when they escape the box, but it does work - BUT I would have to use about 2 tubs a week to fill my three boxes, and they get gross if I use that stuff for more than a week.

If you can get some one to lend you some extra boxes, I'd just put the different litters to the test over the next 4 mo or so - keep their regular litter in one box, and fill the box with a second litter. Try to see which they perfer and which you prefer. When you have tried them all, start testing the favorites against each other. That way you find a favorite, and you know your back ups in case the store stops carrying your brand or they run out or something!

GL
#12 of 25 Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 PM

kitty litter is one of my biggest pet peeves. i've never found ONE i'm happy with.

i live in a 1BD somewhat small nyc apartment. i have 3 cats (not on purpose! i swear!) and i have 2 litter boxes in my front hall closet. if i use clumping clay litter, i get no smells at all and i just have to scoop once a day. if i use anything else, it stinks. yesterdays news, lots of wheat ones, corn ones, pine ones, non-clumping, whatever. none of them work for me. they all stink or stick to the box or are too hard to clean.

i hate using clumping litter. i make my cats' freaking food, i don't take their health lightly! i'm so careful about chemicals in the home, but this is one i can't figure out how to get rid of!

is there anything anyone has used that has worked for multiple cats in a small environment only cleaned once a day? i really, really want to find something else.
#13 of 25 Old 08-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Dar

I love Citra Max litter. It's not clumping but it absorbs moisture. We used it with 2 cats and very lackluster scooping habts, and it worked fine, absorbs odors well and lasts a long time. Now we have one cat who lives in my daughter's bedroom, with catnbox, and it doesn't smell bad in there at all... it smells sort of orangey.

The cheapest place I've found it is Target. Sometimes they have awesome sales on it.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#14 of 25 Old 08-14-2005, 09:42 PM

We use World's Best Cat Litter and I think it is really good.We have four cats (indoor) and two boxes. we scoop on the morning and at night and clean them completly out once a week. I hate the smell of any pine litter and I don't use clay because of the "mining" of it. We used the crystals for a while, but I doubt that anyone with more than one cat can leave it in the box for a month. i also read that the dust of crystal litter is very dangerous for the lungs of cats and people. So this is the only alternative that I and my sensitive nose can endure.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#15 of 25 Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 PM

I tried the Feline Pine and dh didn't like it and I wasn't too thrilled with it myself (cat did poop in there though, lol!)

I switched to Swheat Scoop mainly b/c I could get it at a variety of places instead of having to constantly schlepp over to Whole Foods to get it. Sure, I can get it at Whole Foods, but I can also get it at Target or Meijer's or someplace closer.

And I do like that it clumps nicely and I could stick my hands right into the bag of litter and not feel like I need to wash my hands. Also, I got it so that on the very off chance my toddler who'll eat anything somehow gets ahold of the bag of kitty litter, she's not ingesting a moutful of chemicals or clay.
#16 of 25 Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM

I also really really love Swheat Scoop. My allergic cat uses it with no problems and even with three cats and one box it doesn't smell nasty when I scoop every other day.
#17 of 25 Old 08-14-2005, 10:15 PM

:

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#18 of 25 Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 PM

Tried the silica crystals and tried to transition the cats with half clay and half silica. The cats hated it. Did not use the boxes at all.

Wow, i did not know how bad the clay litter is. Unfortunetly we have litterbox issues and since the summer we only have an accident once every 6 weeks or so. I am scared to change litters since my tabby is very finicky. She is elderly and vomits about once a week. Its not hairballs. I would never have guessed that it could be litter.

How do i check? What do i ask the vet?
#19 of 25 Old 09-15-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
I love Citra Max litter. It's not clumping but it absorbs moisture. We used it with 2 cats and very lackluster scooping habts, and it worked fine, absorbs odors well and lasts a long time. Now we have one cat who lives in my daughter's bedroom, with catnbox, and it doesn't smell bad in there at all... it smells sort of orangey.

The cheapest place I've found it is Target. Sometimes they have awesome sales on it.

Dar
Just had to thank you for this recommendation!!!!! I've started using Citra Max, and I LOVE it!!!!!! It's like kitty potpourri! :LOL I just pick the poopies out (with a baggie over my hand) every 2 or 3 days, and give the stuff a good stir. It's great - very absorbant/long lasting and really keeps the odor at bay. And the litter box is about 15 pounds lighter now!

The cat was a little freaked by the stuff at first...he used it, but refused to "dig and cover" for a few days. Now he's burying again, no more icky clay to stick to the box and harm Sammy's health, no more scooping/sifting/disposing of big nasty clumps, and I'm not buying a huge box of cat litter every freaking week.

Thanks!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#20 of 25 Old 09-16-2005, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Im finally down to the bottom of my huge bag of plain clay litter. Ive been putting a layer of bsoda in the bottom......but man, sometimes it gets pretty stinky in there.....and Im diligent about cleaning out the box as soon as he goes! PEEEE--UUUUU!!!

So Im off to get some Citre MAx....I saw they have it for pretty cheap at Target!
#21 of 25 Old 09-24-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to report back on the Citre Max.......wow this stuff is so differnt! It is like a potpouri! Ive been mixing it with the clay litter so kitty would be used to it. It smells alot better in my b-room now!

Another thing I read in NEW NATURAL CAT.......this woman recommended removing the wet litter....as it is the pee she says that smells so strong. (I think both smell pretty bad) But Ive been doing that and it does help.

Anyway......Im sticking with the Citre Max! Wish they carried it at COSTCO, but I get a great deal at Target.
#22 of 25 Old 09-24-2005, 10:03 AM

I don't like it. But the litter we use, I love. I've only ever found it at petsmart, so it might be a house brand (but I don't think so, because they've got another house brand) It's called everfresh, it's a clumping litter. It is amazing. With three cats, we try to scoop the box twice a day... but we've had days before where we wouldn't scoop it at all because we couldn't smell it. And when we had five cats, and two boxes, same thing. no odor, and super hard clumps. It does track pretty bad, like all scoopables, but we just have a mat in front of it that works well (if the cats don't pee on it).
It's more expensive (about $12 a bucket) but so worth it. We probably go through a bucket every three weeks or so.
#23 of 25 Old 09-24-2005, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldnt use the clumping litters bc of the toxicity in them.

Anyone try the paper or wood pellets.......?
#24 of 25 Old 09-24-2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
Another thing I read in NEW NATURAL CAT.......this woman recommended removing the wet litter....as it is the pee she says that smells so strong.
Yes, I discovered this the other day! WOW!!!!!!!!! All the wet stuff was at the bottom and I'd just been stirring up the top...the ammonia was so strong, my eyes were watering! Seriously, I had to hold my breath! Whew!

However, it was still WAY easier to clean up than the clay crap (so much lighter!!!), and it never stank at all until I emptied the "dry" stuff off the top and disturbed the wet stuff.

So, I just have to get the wet stuff out every few days. Still lovelovelove Citra Max!!! So worth a few extra bucks - and it lasts longer anyway, so I think the price thing evens out.

#25 of 25 Old 09-24-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsmom
I wouldnt use the clumping litters bc of the toxicity in them.
:

splash, the whole point of this thread was to address the dangers of clay (clumping) litter to cats; and alternatives to clay.

How come you don't like Citra Max?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page