My dog has a lump... is this a lymph node????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doberman has lymphoma. He has gone through a round of chemotherapy and is doing wonderful.

However, tonight I noticed a smallish lump on his left rear hip (sort of near where there's a hip bone lump). It's not bone, it's softer than that.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a lymph node or not??? I can take him to the vet in the morning, but in the meantime I'll be worrying nonstop. It is certain that the lymphoma will return - it's just a matter of time really. So we keep a close eye on him.

I hope this isn't a lymph node because it probably means his lymphoma is recurring.

Thought maybe someone could offer reassurance... I googled but I couldn't find any diagrams or anything that show where canine lymph nodes are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Dar

I don't think there are any lymph nodes on a dog's hips... here's a site that seems to show their locations:http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._lymphoma.html

Dogs get these totally harmless fatty tumors all of the time, at least many of mine have gotten them.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 AM

Can you move it? Does it feel like it is in the skin and not the underlying tissue?

Daisy...my old lab...has many many lumps like this. They are in the skin, they come and go and occasionally explode when they get infected. They feel like pea sized lumps but you can move them with the skin layer.

If you are worried, take your doggie to the vet. A good vet will know exactly what it is. Or they can also take a sample of what it in the lumps if you are worried.

From what I understand, they are very common in older dogs (Daisy is 9). And they are just something that happens.
#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 10:53 AM

No, that wouldn't be a lymph node there. It could be lipoma or a cyst. Fortunately there are lots of things it could be that aren't bad. Often the vet can tell just by feeling it. Let us know what the vet says
#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadmaMorgana
Can you move it? Does it feel like it is in the skin and not the underlying tissue?

Daisy...my old lab...has many many lumps like this. They are in the skin, they come and go and occasionally explode when they get infected. They feel like pea sized lumps but you can move them with the skin layer.
I KWIM - he's gotten those fatty tissue lumps on his skin before. This doesn't move with the skin layer, it feels like it's underneath.

Thanks, everyone, for the reassurance!! The lymphoma coming back was my first thought so I'm glad to know there isn't a lymph node there.

The lump is actually a bit smaller today so we're going to wait just a bit and see if it goes away, and if not take him in.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page