Can you stop behavioral cat pee? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our oldest child is a 8ish old med/long hair calico from the pound. They thought she was about 2 when we got her, we've had her 6 years. When we got her she was underweight and loosing hair, she was clearly abused/neglected or both. Anyway fast forward she is healthy and beautiful. Still a bit shy and can be very b*tchy, but also very sweet.

She has always let us know when the litter box wasn't to her liking (which is just one little poop or pee in it) by peeing in ds closet : It got so bad that we've had to pull the carpet up in there.

Well now she has taken to peeing in the living room, in a corner but still. I can't get all the smell up, I'm worried I'm going to have to replace our entire living room floor. We are about to buy a new vaccum because it reaks, I could go on, it's a bad scene.

Anway she went to the vet a few weeks ago and nothing is wrong with her, it's behavioral.

I'm at a loss we are now locking her in the bathroom with food, litter, blankets during her "peak" peeing times. I hate to do this but how am I supposed to make it stop.

Oh and yes we have littermaids (2) and a regular box, we've used the same litter for years......

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#2 of 10 Old 08-29-2005, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I asked my housecleaner how to get out cat pee (we have the same problem)...

She recommended 2 ways... first, the cheap way: lots of regular white vinegar... you'll need to soak the area and it often takes a number of applications. I thought I would have dh steam-clean the room where our male kitty tends to pee. Instead of using the rug shampoo (or whatever), I'll have him use a mixture of vinegar and water and flood the smell away.

the more expensive way... there are enzymatic cleaners that are available, probably either from pet stores or from vacuum cleaner dealers. She didn't give me a brand, but I thought we'd try the vinegar first then investigate this other option.

Our kitty had been doing so well until this weekend - he narrowly missed my laptop bag on Saturday and then even more narrowly missed peeing IN my shoe (nailed the mat instead). Both times happened right after dh cleaned the litter box, fed them, and gave them fresh water.

ETA: Now that I'm thinking about this, some useful links on the cleaning (no idea how to fix the behavior!):
http://www.ehow.com/how_2701_remove-cat-urine.html (step-by-step guide)
http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/cat_...sletter10.html (another step-by-step)
http://www.nilodor.com/caturine.html?cat=1 (ad for product)
http://www.healthypetcorner.com/FRR/petforce.html (ad for product)
http://www.katpuke.com/cleaners-reviews.html (reviews of various methods/products)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#3 of 10 Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Feliway and Rescue Remedy!

Feliway is a product that mimics cat's facial scent gland smell. (Humans don't really notice this.) It discourages inappropriate urination and helps cats be more calm. Available at pet supply places in a pump spray and a plug-in diffuser.

Rescue Remedy works for pets, too! It's not just for humans any more. Put 4 drops in her water, or rub some onto her inside ear, paw pads or nose. Available at health food stores.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#4 of 10 Old 08-30-2005, 04:04 AM
Banned

I heard Feliway works for behavior peeing...

Generally a cat urinating is quite often under distress or has urinary problems or other health issues. Glad you already had that checked out.
#5 of 10 Old 08-30-2005, 12:47 PM

Well, last night dh steam-cleaned the front room (kitty's favorite out-of-litterbox peeyard) with vinegar. Oooo.... I think kitty was MAD. He didn't go near the room. Then last night I was in the basement working on laundry. He wanted to play or something but I was in the middle of stuff. So what does he do? He pees on the pile of dirty` towels. Some of it soaked through into the cement floor. I poured a little bit of bleach on the area (didn't really have anything else useful handy) Grrr. Then in the fog of the morning, I could hear that he was meowing, wanting something... only it didn't quite register with my brain... (plus ds and I were having a nursing session)... until I heard him scratching at the carpet in our room. GAH. He pee'd on dh's jeans and some of the carpet. And we used up all our vinegar last night on the "pee room". dh grabbed kitty and rubbed his nose in the spot, saying "no" the whole time. I liked it better when kitty knocked cups of water off dressers when he wanted attention. This cat is stressing me out... He's not a lap kitty - his idea of attention involves either access to the screen porch to stare at the big world or playing with him (and you can't do that and get work done at the same time).

We've already had him checked out by the vet... are using our usual litter... This is definitely deliberate attention-seeking behavior. I'm curious to see if he'll pee in the front room now that we've done one cleaning.

#6 of 10 Old 08-30-2005, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

bluets, I think we share the same kitty :LOL

We know it's behavioral, she will sit next to you, wait for you to leave the room, then go to her "pee spot", even if the litterboxes are perfect. She is spending about half the day in the bathroom, with litter food/water blankets, toys and some catnip. I go in often to give her lots of love and she is being just so lovey, like "let me out I'll be good", then I go in the kitchen and she pees in the living room :

The only "stress" was we put all the kitties on a diet because one was getting HUGE, but when the peeing wouldn't stop we stopped that, so now we have a growing fat kitty and one that pees everywhere :

#7 of 10 Old 09-01-2005, 12:44 PM

We started a new routine the other day...based on a something I saw at http://www.catsinternational.org/ Lots of good info there.

#8 of 10 Old 09-01-2005, 12:45 PM

Eman'smom, we share the same 2 kitties. Pixel (our female) is getting huge.... Mips (our male) pees where he shouldn't.

#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 PM

I think we solved the problem! Sort of.

Equalizer seems to work for getting rid of the pee. Feliway seems to work great as a specific deterrent.

Lying in bed the other morning, after cleaning up more cat pee (this time, it was clear that it was a temper tantrum), we figured out the problem. Pixel (our girl kitty) used to be the secondary and Mips (the pee-ing male kitty) used to be the dominant king kitty. Enter ds; mama returns to work; all of a sudden Mips isn't dominant anymore. Something in the nature of the relationships has turned topsy turvy. I liked it better when Mips would play gravity experiments to get our attention, but at least we think we understand why he's misbehaving.

#10 of 10 Old 09-13-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ok I'll update too

We got the feliway, and it seemed to be working we had 4 days of nothing but then Sunday and yesterday no such luck. We got some sort of oder granules that seem to be doing the trick on the smell. I'm hoping we have rounded a corner.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page