monthly budget for pets.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-07-2005, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are trying to come up with a monthly budget. How much should we put in our budget for our dog Tyson? How much do you guys spend a month on your dogs? (food, toys, grooming, etc)

(if you have a rabbit or a guinea pig let me know for them too becuase my mother wants to give us a rabbit in the near future)

TIA!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Hmmm... I have a Great Dane and a Saint Bernard... and of course everything varies based on the dogs size... the quality of food, etc.
I'd say we spend about $80 a month on food
$30 a month on supplements
$20 for flea control (order your advantage at petshed.com... SO CHEAP!)
$20 for heartworm
$40 every two months for grooming (wally needs to be shaved in the summer months every two months... every 3-4 in the winter)
$30 on toys/bones/treats
$100 on day care (yes, I send them to day care one day a week)
$50 on vet bills (we have health insurance for them at $16 a month for all their preventive stuff... get a Banfield plan! SO worth it!... and we spend another $200 a year total, on average, for other stuff)
Wow... we spend a lot of money on our dogs. Why did you have to ask that question? Now I feel... weird.

I've had rabbits in the past. I'd say $20 a month on a rabbit... and factor in about $150 a year for the vet and incidentals
#3 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I dont use flea stuff on my dogs so that helps cut the cost for me and heartworm preventative i buy in 6 month supply so i pay it all at once. What is a banfield plan? Is that like pet insurance? BTW, I would love to a see a pic of your great dane. I LOVE great danes. I have never had one but they are gorgeous and so sweet!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#4 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 04:42 PM

Lets see - this will get depressing-

We are currently spending about 40 dollars a month to feed Innova to our 60 pound dog.

She is taking about 10 dollars in supplements now, but that is going to go up to I'd say 30-40 (she has some health problems)

We typically have her in a "class" of some sort, about 10 dollars a week/40 a month

I probably spend about 10-20 a month on toys (power chewer)

I buy heartworm in a 6 month supply, I got the cheap pills no fancy beef flavor, she takes them just fine and they were half the price.

I think an "average" dog would see the vet maybe twice a year, we go at least monthly (again some health issues) so we are spending 50-200 a month on vet bills.

I won't talk about the herbs and raw diet I had her on for a bit, that pushed us over the cost edge.

So for a grand average total I'd say we are spending.....250 a month, yikes.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327
I dont use flea stuff on my dogs so that helps cut the cost for me and heartworm preventative i buy in 6 month supply so i pay it all at once. What is a banfield plan? Is that like pet insurance? BTW, I would love to a see a pic of your great dane. I LOVE great danes. I have never had one but they are gorgeous and so sweet!
A banfield plan you buy through banfield (the vet inside most petsmarts) and it's only good at a banfield (so you'd have to switch vets if you don't go to banfield.. and I know you don't because if you did you'd have one by now).
You pay monthly, and for that it covers ALL the preventive care they need. all shots (all of them, not just the required by law ones), dewormings, blood counts and analysis, urinalysis/sediment exam, heartworm tests, fecal exams, unlimited free office visits, discounts (5-20%) on everything, two major comp exams each year (a yearly physical). You can also get ones that do dental cleaning, EKGs, x-rays, organ panels, etc.
I pay $16 a month for both dogs... they've been on them for four years. At every visit they tell you the retail cost and your cost... as well as how much you've saved over the pet's lifetime... I've saved well over $4000, but I also have expensive pets
It is totally worth it. I will never cancel theirs. It was $12 a month for forever, just got upped... oh well, still very much worht it. and they can go to any banfield anywhere in the country.
#6 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash
A banfield plan you buy through banfield (the vet inside most petsmarts) and it's only good at a banfield (so you'd have to switch vets if you don't go to banfield.. and I know you don't because if you did you'd have one by now).
You pay monthly, and for that it covers ALL the preventive care they need. all shots (all of them, not just the required by law ones), dewormings, blood counts and analysis, urinalysis/sediment exam, heartworm tests, fecal exams, unlimited free office visits, discounts (5-20%) on everything, two major comp exams each year (a yearly physical). You can also get ones that do dental cleaning, EKGs, x-rays, organ panels, etc.
I pay $16 a month for both dogs... they've been on them for four years. At every visit they tell you the retail cost and your cost... as well as how much you've saved over the pet's lifetime... I've saved well over $4000, but I also have expensive pets
It is totally worth it. I will never cancel theirs. It was $12 a month for forever, just got upped... oh well, still very much worht it. and they can go to any banfield anywhere in the country.
WOW! That is an awesome price! I pay $35 for shots and then it's only hte basic, bordatella, corona, and others required by boarding kennels are $30 each! So does every PEtsmart have a Banfield clinic or just some?

#7 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 08:17 PM

The majority do.
I will post a pic of Splash on my blog for you to see... whoever asked. There is also one of Wally (begging for breastmilk) if you wade down a few posts.
#8 of 11 Old 09-08-2005, 10:32 PM

You can vax your own dog via mail order vax or some drug or pet feed stores carry vaxs.
I've done this in the past - very easy to do.

I purchase my own worming supplies.

We keep our pet budget low & the only thing we do is but premium kibble.

I bought a few Kongs on EBAY & the K9s love 2 litre soda bottles & a flat basket, soccer ot volley ball.

ask any neighbor kids or your local school to save you any of them flattened balls or old tennis ball they will throw out.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#9 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:05 AM

hmmm,
we spend about $35 a month on Solid Gold dog food for two 50LB senior dogs, but they also get cooked rice/grain and veggie scraps. For doggie treats they get apples from our tree or carrots. We don't buy toys very often, we stocked up on their favorite ball that we got really cheap, so maybe like $40 a year. My dh washes them and I brush them, so we don't get them groomed. We also don't bring them to the vet often. Last year we spent about $500 at the vet, one of them was sick. We give them flee treatment about 2x a year, we don't really have a problem with flees, so it's just preventative. (They are in the house most the time) They get garlic/yeast tablets from Trader Joe's that are really cheap, under $5 a bottle. They do get heart worm treatment, but we get the largest breed size and cut them in half.

I guess it depends a lot on how much you can spend on them. Dog toys can be very expensive, and if you have to board them or anything it cost a lot! I would spend more if I could!

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#10 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:08 AM

I have an italian greyhound. He's so small that he only eats about one bag of food a month, so... we spend about $8 per month on food. Toys, well... he has enough. Vet, as needed. Needless to say... he's a cheap date.
#11 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Banned

My cat used to cost me about $20-$30 a month in food and cat litter. This didn't include his costly vet bills. Which WERE costly. We got him from a breeder but it turned out he had severe ringworm and FIV. After one year of ongoing treatment - he had to be put to sleep.

Had he been healthy - no vet bills.

User Tag List