Long move coming - kitties will freak! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In less than 2 weeks we're making a move to Colorado. We're taking our cats with us in our minivan... one of our cats, Xander, is 2 1/2 years old and gets really stressed by moving... he's only ever been moved short distances though, so I can't even imagine how he'll manage a long move like this.

Last time we moved we used Rescue Remedy, and it helped a LITTLE, but not even close to enough to allow him to handle a move of this size.

Is there anything (other than regular tranquilizers) that you'd suggest to calm a kitty in this situation? I want to make this as easy on him as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We're moving from GA to WA in 2 weeks with our 7 cats, so I'm very interested in any replies!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 03:24 PM

I was just reading about this in Martin Goldstein's book on animals from our local library.

This is what he suggested:

valerian root - use 1/3 to 1/2 of a human dose It is suppose to calm nervousness.

chamomile is suppose to reduce anxiety.

I have no idea if it works, but hey, it's worth a try?

Sherra

PS. I have a nervous dog that I think I'll try these on next time on our road trip. Previously I used a tranquilizing drug and it didn't work! If anything she was more nervous. So it had the opposite effect on her which I heard of before.
#4 of 6 Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 PM

I moved 3 cats & 4 German Sheps about 2000 miles & used nothing.

The cats were in 2 small crates with a small little pan (sm roaster pan with litter). They calmed down by themselves (no meds) after a few hours of driving & by the 2nd day they were ok.

Do google a herbal pet site to get the correct valerian root dose. I used Valerian root when I got in a new rescue foster dog & it worked 1/2 the time.
I would get a few mild tranquilizers from your Vet just in case they dont settle down but here again, I would only give 1/2 the dose as cats don't like to feel out of control.

DO make sure you do not hold them in your arms as you transport them as they can freak & jump out.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#5 of 6 Old 09-14-2005, 07:51 PM

Whatever you decide, try it beforehand. I did this and found nothing really kept one of my cats from being stressed, so I opted for the tranqulizer because it was a 14 hour trip and my cat tended to kind of hyperventilate if stressed for a long period of time. But I am glad I tried everything I could beforehand, so I didn't try the trip and have something not work.

Good Luck.
#6 of 6 Old 09-16-2005, 03:18 PM

We recently moved our cats 1 1/2 hours. We put one cat in a cardboard carrier, and the other two in a plastic carrier. The two in the plastic carrier did MUCH better than the one by herself; and they normally fight when together . Also, one of the two in the plastic carriers had previously hyperventilated when we took her in the same crate 1/2 hour away to the vet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page