All animals to be shot in New Orleans in 3 days. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have heard from an Animal Rescue group contact (who is a client and I know personally) that all remaining animals are going to be shot in 72 hours, if not rescued by then. Many of these animals are peoples beloved pets. Apparently FEMA has reversed their orders on not taking pets, and some people have been evacuated with their animals now. Many Rescue Groups are working hard to find missing animals, even going house to house looking for animals people had to leave behind. Here is the email and they want people to email the media to try and reverse this decision.

Thanks in advance.

ALL ANIMALS TO BE SHOT IN N.O. IN THREE DAYS! WHAT CAN BE DONE? CONTACT...

Perhaps if we email the media? See all email addresses below!

hurricanevictims@cnn.com, paula.zahn@turner.com, aaron.brown@turner.com, lklshow.ideas@cnn.com, wolf@cnn.com, sachi.koto@turner.com, chuck.roberts@turner.com, linda.stouffer@turner.com, dave.willis@turner.com, sharon.collins@turner.com, asieh.namdar@turner.com, stephen.frazier@turner.com, catherine.callaway@turner.com, michael.squadron@turner.com, daryn.kagan@turner.com, lou.dobbs@turner.com, michelle.rozsa@turner.com, kyra.phillips@turner.com, cheryl.gould@nbc.com, letters@msnbc.com, rehema.ellis@nbc.com, david.verdi@nbc.com, abramsreport@msnbc.com, lester.holt@msnbc.com, brian.williams@nbc.com, dateline@nbc.com, marc.rosenwasser@nbc.com, david.corvo@nbc.com, letters@msnbc.com, wt@nbc.com, mtp@msnbc.com, 60m@cbsnews.com, KFSWriters@hearst.com, weekends@cbsnews.com, evening@cbsnews.com, sundays@cbsnews.com, earlyshow@cbs.com, sat@cbsnews.com, ftn@cbsnews.com, 48hours@cbsnews.com, comments@foxnews.com, kennedy@foxnews.com, john.moody@foxnews.com, skinner@foxnews.com, tim.gaughan@foxnews.com, folbaum@foxnews.com, janet.alshouse@foxnews.com, jon.scott@foxnews.com, brigitte.quinn@foxnews.com, patti.ann.browne@foxnews.com, todd.connor@foxnews.com, jerry.burke@foxnews.com, brian.gaffney@foxnews.com, afterhours@foxnews.com, foxmagazine@foxnews.com, fns@foxnews.com, newswatch@foxnews.com, greta@foxnews.com, brit.hume@foxnews.com, jim.eldridge@foxnews.com, john.gibson@foxnews.com, shepard.smith@foxnews.com, david.brown@foxnews.com, 2020@abc.com, JohnStossel@abcnews.com, nightline@abc.com, john.quinones@abc.com, bill.geddie@abc.com, thisweek@abc.com

fyi: Due to the overwhelming pressure by animal advocates all over the U.S., FEMA did reverse its policy requiring evacuees to abandon their pets.

Those of you who wrote your local media, contacted political representatives and katrina rescue organizations MADE A DIFFERENCE.

And while we all wish this policy was in place earlier (we wish a LOT was different earlier of course), it has saved animals.

--

Who stole my signature!
#2 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Have there been any media reports about this yet? I was just reading one positive story about the rescue groups that are now picking up stray animals and going door to door looking for pets. I hadn't heard anything about shooting them in 3 days. Will you cross post this in news and current events?
#3 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM

My Aunt & I were just talking about his yesterday - the shooting. - when was it gonna start? - most of these are peoples' pets & not feral animals full of disease so I really believe the disease threat is low.

Rescue efforts are being made but big Org.s but it's hard to contain all these poor animals & then where do you put them before one can arrange transport?

I'm on a few Rescue boards that are trying to arrange transport IF these pets are contained but it's hard to get them out of the area.

Shooting is such a terrible way to die for these animals b/c I'm sure that most of the people doing the shooting are not Sharp Shooters, etc & I so fear so many animals lying there, dying slowly.

Sadly, in any emergency, leaving behind your animals has been going on for years & years - this is not a recent trend.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#4 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 PM

this is atrocious!! i'd not heard that yet!! i will relay one very heartwarming story to somewhat up-lift our spirits...

there was a doctor in n.o. that stayed behind in his hospital to look after over 50 dogs 35 cats and 2 hamsters that were left behind by distraught pet owners who begged him to help them out and look after their beloved pets that they were unable to take with them....he was starting to give up hope after being stranded for more than 4 days, but refused to go back on his word and leave the animals and escape himself. he was rescued WITH all the animals by Matthew McConaughey. he and the folks from oprah's angel network helped this doctor evacuate w/ every single animal in that hospital!! that is very inspiring...if only more people were like this wonderful doctor!!
#5 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM

Quote:
fyi: Due to the overwhelming pressure by animal advocates all over the U.S., FEMA did reverse its policy requiring evacuees to abandon their pets.
There is completely NO excuse to force ppl to allow their pets to die. I never knew that pets had to die in these types of tragedies. How terrible it would be to leave behind your pet. I'm not so sure I would. I was raised that my animals were not expendable.

Sure I completely understand putting one's family first and if you had to save one thing, it would be your family vs the pets, but this IS a very wealthy country. We do NOT HAVE to act this way and the evacuation can be done with people's pets all along. SHame on them! We can soften our hearts "just a little" and allow people to be human and want their beloved pets with them. I don't understand that policy before it was reversed.

Are we trying to force people to become more callous? Don't we realize that how a nation treats people (elderly and children and victims) in need and animals that depend on them for life is indicative of how humane we are and what we value?

Sherra
#6 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 06:25 PM

I can't read that email list as I have a killer headache and words jumbled together hurt right now-but has anyone contacted Oprah??? I know she is very into the animals being rescued.

On a slightly happier note, our "shipment" of displaced dogs arrived last night. In our group which grew to 8 boarding and breeding kennels, we have taken in a total of 48 dogs in this area of Ontario. A rep from Air Canada I spoke with when I picked some of them up said they are also arranging with a couple other "doggie communities" to transport a few other large "loads" One going to Winnepeg, one to Vancouver and one to Quebec.
#7 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Here is some not so good news. Oprah is a great idea though and apparently PETA and other groups are on it, but some individuals are just shooting them already:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/phot...straydogs.html

Who stole my signature!
#8 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

PS The Rescue Groups are doing GREAT but they just won't have enough time and apparently some people are making the decision to shoot dogs already, which I am sure the Rescue Groups could work with and rescue given some time.

Who stole my signature!
#9 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 07:06 PM

#10 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I emailed Oprah! Hope she can help. A lot of other groups are working on it too.

Who stole my signature!
#11 of 14 Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 PM

I don't know what to say. Is this even legal to do? Even in a disaster- it's OK to SHOOT TO KILL an innocent animal? I'm so confused right now. Why would this be OK with any agency? I'm deeply disturbed by this and wish I could do something. WHY WHY WHY do people assume animals aren't as high as human in the pecking order? I'm ashamed of my fellow human beings right now. :Puke
#12 of 14 Old 09-10-2005, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I emailed the Humane Society.

I know that when dogs get hungry...and are running in packs like this, they can get vicious. BUt still, no excuse for shooting them!

Are there any more links to this?
#13 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 12:39 PM

I heard on the news that this is just a big rumor. Animals will NOT be shot.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#14 of 14 Old 09-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Can you clarify??? Are they going through with this horrible plan or not??? I'd like to sent emails but if it is not accurate then it wouldn't be appropriate

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page