Need help with cat pee please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-10-2005, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A very sad thing happened while we were away on vacation - our cat Tobi was accidentally shut in our bedroom overnight until my MIL heard him when she came to feed the pets the next morning. Poor cat was understandably freaked and peed and pooped in our bedroom, which sat for a week while we were gone. Of course he didn't do it on our ratty carpet that needs to be torn out anyway. He did it on our brand freaking new expensive wool, dry clean only gorgeous duvet cover/down comforter , which soaked into our sheets a little bit, and our mattress pad, AND our brand freaking new pillowtop bed .

I know it's our own fault. Thank goodness for our comforter or the damage to the mattress would've been way worse. I've washed the sheets, the mattress pad and the comforter. The sheets seem ok (I think), we'll see about the rest :. I dumped baking soda on the bed and duvet cover. It decreased the smell on the bed - but I can still catch a whiff of it. The duvet cover's in worse shape than I originally thought. Will take it to the dry cleaner's tomorrow. Can they do anything with that kind of situation? Not sure if I should risk washing it in a regular washer.

As for the mattress - dh is thinking spraying febreeze on it might help? I'm wondering though how much is that just a strong perfume used to mask other odors? Would an ozonator would be of any use? Any other ideas? Thanks muchly - I'd really like to sleep on my bed again.

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Ack, why didn't she clean it instead of letting it sit for a week :

Febreeze won't work. I hear enzyme odor neutralizers such as Nature's Miracle work quite well. I would also rent an carpet cleaner with attachments to clean the mattress.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:13 AM

This might be one of the few times I'd get a professional carpet cleaner in to clean the bed. They have stuff they can use that is non toxic...any one who does dry chem and advertises that they get out pet spots...talk to them and see about their guarantees. Febreeze is only good for the moment really, it's not a long term solution. You are going to be laying on the bed, I'd be wary of using chemicals that you are not sure about the toxicity.

As for the duvet, unsure. You can keep it around for when the dry chem guy comes over..then send it to the cleaners when he's done. I know cat pee is worse than anything to get out of things.

Sherra
Old 09-10-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I'll give those suggestions a whirl. I'm assuming that MIL didn't investigate the bedroom and just opened the door to let him out, but you woulda thought that she might've given it a look see since she knew the time frame........... oh well. She's not too good in a crisis so I'm not sure she would've known what to do either. Probably would've febreezed the living daylights out of it - gag!

Lisa

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :

User Tag List