YOUR PETS WATER: SPRING, TAP or ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ive been researching water and pets.....bc one of my dogs is dying from a kidney disease and I because my water (N.AZ) is heavily mineraled.....it could have contributed to my dogs health issues.

So......just wondering what everyone else uses for their pets.....do you think it makes a difference?..........and what do they drink from (ceramic bowl, plastic, etc)

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow... I live in AZ and I give my dogs tap water... i never thought anything of it un til now... thanks for posting this, i'm going to have to research this too. I know the water where I live is safe for people to drink (though I dont drink it myself becuase i dont like the taste).

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#3 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:43 PM

i was watching a stand up comedy about this very thing...he was saying that he had looked into dog water purfying systems but then he pictured his dog drinking from it then turning around and eating every kind of nasty thing, chicken poo, dead moles etc... :LOL i thought that was cute (and my wee dog does exactly that...)

im sorry about your dog , and I hope you get lots of great responses.
#4 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Im in Prescott.......the water is pretty clean here and tastes good. We drink water from the fridge which goes thru a filter......but now Im starting to rethink that as well.

My friend said he's lost 3 pets to kidney disease since he's lived here. But Ive got another dog and she hasnt had the same problem. ?

Right now we use one of those huge water stations with the big plastic water bottle that empties into a little one....Ive never liked it bc with 2 dogs and 2 cats, its hard to keep it clean. Im going out to buy a crock so I can clean it daily and itll be easier to fill with spring water......
#5 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh....when I googled "pets water".......I found several companies that make "designer" water for dogs ! I know pet people will spend any amount if they think its better for their pets, but that was a bit much!

Quote:
m sorry about your dog , and I hope you get lots of great responses.

Thanks.......
#6 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

#7 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 05:32 PM

my dogs drink tap or toilet water. Yes, they drink toilet water... from a clean toilet that is never used (because it's in a bathroom we don't use).
My cats, on the other hand, drink from a waterfall. Either that or their fountain, which is filtered. They won't drink it is it just sits there. They dig it out with their paws, and then whine. Or, they turn on the sink... yes, one of them knows how to turn the tap on. So, if their water isn't constantly moving, they get very upset.
But, pretty much just tap. And no health problems at all. Even from the toilet dogs (okay, they don't drink from the toilet that much, only when their bowls are empty)
#8 of 11 Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 PM

We don't drink the tap water and neither does our dog. We all drink spring water. But we live in California and the water from the tap tastes gross. He drinks out of one of those plastic bowls with a water container attached, but we don't fill it up all the way so it gets cleaned out and refreshed quite often.

At first my DH thought I was nuts for wanting to give our newly adopted doggy spring water only, but now he understands how important it is to me that he drinks quality water and he refills the bowl with the 'good stuff'.

So sorry to hear about your dog.
#9 of 11 Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

I grew up in L.A. ........and you NEVER drank the water from the tap...... so it was ingrained in me never to do it, even when I moved away to N. cali and then to a small mountain town in N. AZ.......I still dont do it. But I just got a new kitty....reading alot of holistic pet care books.....and having a terminally sick dog....I guess Im reaching for whatever I can do to help her......and all my animals.

So.....now my pets (2dogs, 2cats) are drinking better than us!
#10 of 11 Old 09-16-2005, 04:27 PM

Our cats drink tap water. But, last year we lived in a house where the water was nonpotable well water full of pesticide, leftovers from oil pumping operations, etc. At that time, we gave them the bottled water we drank. After all, if I can't even COOK with the tap water, no way am I going to let my cats drink it!

Now that we live in town, we still drink bottled water (I hate the taste of our tap water), but the cats are fine with the tap. They would tell us if they didn't like it, trust me!
#11 of 11 Old 09-16-2005, 07:49 PM

I think it depends on where you live. When I lived out in the country, my animals drank from the tap like we did.

I live in the bay area, california now and no way would I touch the tap water without proper filtration. The things that are in it are disgusting. One of my dogs has skin allergies (atopy) and it is one of the things I changed. I didn't want toxic stuff going into her body. I can't control some things she takes in, but her water inside when I offer it, I can control. They even say not to give unfiltered city water to a growing infant due to what is in it and the amount of pounds they have to absorb it all.

Sherra

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page