Deciding to put my dog down - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My beloved dog is 16 years old. A year and a quarter ago, she had surgery that removed some cancerous tumors. Because of the location of the (main) tumor, they couldn't cut out as much tissue as they would have liked. I think the cancer is back big time.

She's in a lot of pain. I took her to the vet today, and our options were to treat the pain, or try to find out what is going on. They can't even palpatate (sp?) her belly - it's too tender and she won't let them. So to find out anything, they will have to sedate her, take X-rays, run tests, etc. That would be $400 (which we do NOT have), and that's JUST to find out what is wrong - it doesn't include any treatments.

My dog was my baby for years before I had my little girl. She's the only dog I've had while an adult (had one as a child).

She's in a lot of pain tonight, even though we gave her the pain meds the vet sold us. She was in a lot of pain last night, too. I'm a light sleeper, and I hardly got any sleep last night because of her crying. AND I started teaching new dance classes today (subjects and/or age levels that I've never taught before, and I was nervous), so today has been just completely stressful. And tiring. And emotional.

If I weren't so tired, I think I could handle this better.

So, I'm facing another sleepless (or nearly so) night, with a sweet dog who is in a lot of pain. I don't want this to go on. I don't want her to suffer like this.

I need a hug. And kind words. And a extra-absorbent hanky.

And I need my dog to be out of pain.

Thanks for reading.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#2 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:07 AM
Dar

I'm sorry about your dog...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#3 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:15 AM

:
#4 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 AM

I'm so sorry. I hope you and your dog both get the comfort you need.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
#5 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dar, Eggie and Helen. I thought I was prepared for this - she's old, she's had health issues. I thought I would handle it better.

I just talked with the emercency vet clinic, and they said to give her another of one of the pain meds. I sure want it to work - she is crying worse than last night, and she's already had two pain meds! Poor baby.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#6 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 AM

Aww, I'm sorry. I went through the same thing while pregnant with dd...The end of the journey w/my first "baby" was very painful too.
I know it's hard to let her go but if she's hurting it's probobly the kindest thing to do.
Just follow your

:
#7 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 02:48 AM

Oh, hugs to you. Your dog is so lucky to have such a caring 'mama'.
#8 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone. I'll have to confirm this with my husband (who is asleep right now), but I think I'm going to have her put down tomorrow (tuesday).

However, if she keeps crying (sometimes desperately), I think I might take her to the emergency vet clinic and have it done tonight. But my husband would want to be there, and he needs to sleep so he can work tomorrow (going to be working overtime).

I pray that the tablet I gave her will take effect soon and that we all get a decent night's sleep before the events of tomorrow.

#9 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 03:33 AM

just wanted to send you a hug, very hard to let go our our pet babies. hopes that your beloved dog will no longer suffer and that you will be able to have peace knowing that your dog was so lucky to have been yours. s
#10 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:24 AM

I'm so sorry. I hope that your dog can have some relief and some peace tonight.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#11 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 AM

My heart aches for you. I thought I was going to have to put my dog down earlier this year, so I know what you are going through listening to your dog in pain, dealing with your own pain over the possibility of losing your dear companion/baby, and wanting to do what is best for your dog. I'm so sorry you're going through this, and also sorry your dog is in pain.
Much love to you.
#12 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it's 4:30 am here (central daylight time) and I haven't slept a wink (and only got 3 hours of sleep the night before) . The vet's office opens at 7am and we will be there then.

My husband woke up and spent an hour talking with me and trying to comfort our dog. And crying.

We're going to put her down first thing when the vet office opens. I just wish they opened sooner - I hate to watch her suffering like this.

Does anyone know, does a vet have to administer the meds for putting a pet down, or can vet techs do it? I ask because the office opens at 7am (with vet techs), but the vets don't usually get there until later.

Thanks for all the support on this very long and difficult night.

#13 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm very, very sorry about your dog. My Abigail is 11 now and is really slowing down. I can't even imagine a world without her. Even with another dog, three cats, and a child, the house will seem empty.
#14 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 AM

I'm sorry mama, the vet will likely have to be the one to administer the meds. That said the techs could likely call the vet for orders to give stronger pain meds by injection that may ease your dogs pain for a while and also that call will likely speed the vet along (providing that's possible) I know at the clinic I worked at we would just have to call the vet and he'd give orders for an IV to be placed and a sedative/pain killer to be given in the dog was in distress and then he'd just do his best to get in as soon as he could.
#15 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 AM

I hope you can find some comfort and that your dog will not suffer any more.

We recently had to put our 13 yo dog to sleep due to cancer. I know how hard it is.
#16 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 10:54 AM

I'm so sorry, the important thing is that your baby will be pain free soon. I know it's hard but remember the greatest gift of love is knowing when enough is enough. Your doing the most unselfish thing you can. Get back to us when you can.
#17 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

She's gone. She had a good life. We are all very sad to be without her, but glad that she is no longer in pain. I'll post more if I need, and when I can. But I have been up for 45 of the last 48 hours, and I am going to try to sleep.

Thanks for all your support. Last night (see my earlier posts) was very hard, and I really appreciated the support I found here.

#18 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

#19 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#20 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:30 PM

Ann-Marita. We had to make this decision to let our Molly go last year after a year battling kidney disease. We are our pets whole world~ they rely on us for physical care and comfort, kindness and loyalty~ just as they give to us. It is so very hard to make the decision when the time comes but we are absolutely the only ones who can do that for them, as heavily as it weighs on our hearts. They cannot do it themelves.
At the end of Molly's journey our vet told me that he has seen animals hang on longer than their bodies would allow because it as if they wait for their humans to free them. That was Molly -always eager to please and loyal to the end. You have freed your furbaby. I wish you a peaceful rest after the ordeal of the last days and many healing moments to come : .
to you and your family

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#21 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:34 PM
tug

I'm so sorry for your loss. Emily said it beautifully. I hope the happy memories of your dog will make this difficult time a little easier to bear.
#22 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM

Ann-Marita: I am so sorry for your loss. This wasn't just your dog, she was part of your heart and a comforting friend. I too am deeply bonded to my dogs. They are my family in the fullest sense and were also my babies before ds was born. I still have a framed photo of a pet I lost 10 years ago. But I believe that our pets, like people, have eternal souls - and I believe they stay with us to an extent. I imagine your beautiful girl, running free and full of happiness and light, flying through the stars, tongue out and a little goofy grin on her face! Hugs to your whole family. I'm going to lay down with my doggies right now and we'll say a little prayer for your sweet one. :
#23 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 05:44 PM

I'm so sorry about your loss. It's so hard when we lose our pets.... they are a big part of our families.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#24 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Know that you did the absolute right thing for your dear dog. I really believe its the last, unselfish act of love we do for them, after theyve given us years of unconditional love.

Ill be facing the same situation soon, my dog has a terminal kidney disease that is very advanced. The last thing I want is for her to suffer even a minute. It still doesnt make the decision any easier.

So sorry again for your loss..........((((HUGS)))))))
#25 of 25 Old 09-13-2005, 10:32 PM

Ann-Marita. I have to congratulate you. For not only being an honorable pet owner and animal lover,but for knowing when and how to best help your beloved dog. It takes a truly devoted pet owner,as well as an unselfish and considerate soul to do what's best for your companion[s]. I know it's hard. I've gone through this 3 times already. The first time was when I was 10 yr. old. I had a husky mix [my 1st dog] whom I adored. When she was 4yrs. old she started having seizures back to back. She had 5 seizures in a 30 minute time span,and we had her euthanized at the E.R. Vet's office. [The seizure meds wouldn't work on her type of seizures,they were uncontrolable.] It cost ALOT more than the day time vet,but no one here could handle her pitiful looks,or my wails of despair. That's the hardest decision I EVER had to make in my childhood years,and it's been the hardest decision each time in my adult life as well. My mom had a 22yr. old pekingese [sp?] that we finally had euthanized b/c of irreversible renal failure. Then we adopted an old beagle about a year after that,who quickly became my first son's guardian doggie angel [he was 1yr. old then]. Sadly,we had to put her down as well,cancer. Each and every time I held them and cried and apologized to them while they were drifting off,and explained to them that I did the best I could. I think all of them understood that. Just as I think your baby understands that too. My coping method that's worked the best for me is to remember the memories we had/have together,and takes LOTS of pictures of all of my animals when I have them. I have a 12yr. old feist who's quickly slowing down,and I know her day is coming closer and closer. A piece of me will die when she does,but I'll know that she's lived a long happy life with us,and we'll never forget her. The best thing you can do for your dog now is to always remember them. That way they'll never completely die.
If I were a dog I'd hope I had such a caring and compassionate mother as you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page