Grieving my kittens and don't know what to do. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2005, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I adopted two feral kittens and tamed them down for our small farm. I wanted them to be tame enough to play with, but to still be good mousers.

They took to being pets immediately. They would come running up to you and purr and lay on your feet. My 18 mo old daughter could drag them around with her and they loved it. They were only five months old.

DH and I went on a vacation over Labor Day. Our house-sitter didn't see the kittens after the first day-DH thought they'd run off. I didn't buy it and have been searching around the property for them.

I found them yesterday-with arrows through them. Both had been shot in the stomachs and left to die. The arrows had barbs on the end, so the shooters had to leave the arrows or take them out of a living kitten-apparently they had the stomach to shoot them, but not to get their arrows back.

I took pictures, removed and washed the arrows and found the 'kids' (21 yr old boys) who had done it. They thanked me for finding their arrows and asked where they were-they said they shoot some near the canal and lose a few there. I said they were in my kittens and they immediately backed up and said "Nope, not ours-we aren't missing any."

What's my next step? I'm worried that if I send cops after them, they'll come after our sheep and goats.

Who would shoot an animal that trustingly walks right up to them?

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 07:17 PM

OMG!
How absolutely horrible!
I am so very sorry!

I would persue it. You may not get anywhere. However, I would not be able to sleep knowing that someone who could do something like this wasn't even on the authorities' radar. I would think there would be a good chance of them doing something like this again, and maybe a larger animal next time (like a dog, a horse).

Do you still have the arrows? Any chance there are still prints on them, from whoever fired them?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Oh how awful!!! I am so sorry!

How did you find out who did it? Also, 21 year olds are not "boys". They are absolutely old enough to know better. If they'd do that for sport, they'd do worse. I would call the cops.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh
I adopted two feral kittens and tamed them down for our small farm. I wanted them to be tame enough to play with, but to still be good mousers.

They took to being pets immediately. They would come running up to you and purr and lay on your feet. My 18 mo old daughter could drag them around with her and they loved it. They were only five months old.

DH and I went on a vacation over Labor Day. Our house-sitter didn't see the kittens after the first day-DH thought they'd run off. I didn't buy it and have been searching around the property for them.

I found them yesterday-with arrows through them. Both had been shot in the stomachs and left to die. The arrows had barbs on the end, so the shooters had to leave the arrows or take them out of a living kitten-apparently they had the stomach to shoot them, but not to get their arrows back.

I took pictures, removed and washed the arrows and found the 'kids' (21 yr old boys) who had done it. They thanked me for finding their arrows and asked where they were-they said they shoot some near the canal and lose a few there. I said they were in my kittens and they immediately backed up and said "Nope, not ours-we aren't missing any."

What's my next step? I'm worried that if I send cops after them, they'll come after our sheep and goats.

OMG! I'm so sorry for your losses. That must have been terrible to find your loved ones like that.

Is there any chance that there story is legit but they're irresponsible enough (obviously- shooting where they can't see) to choose to not step up and take responsibility for their accident? The only reason I say this is b/c I would find it hard to believe (if the KNOWINGLY shot your kitties) they would own up to the missing arrows- not knowing if it was the ones they shot your precious kitties with. Am I making sense?

I guess I'm hoping they didn't do something like this intentionally.

I'm so sorry, mama.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:08 AM

: OMG -
Call the Police....NOW....

that's friggin'' impossible - their story that is :
these litties were too small & Both be shot with arrows - NO WAY :

the "Hunting" : bunch will practice their kill shots on stray/loose animals all the time here -

Quote:
freaks... thats who. sick humans.
of course they did not own up to it - BLECH

we had young adults killing cow for fun not to long ago, COWS just grasing

the world is filled with sick

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 AM

I would turn them in. Cruelty to animals (includes shooting pets of other people) is a sign of things to come and they aren't positive things.

Sherra
Old 09-20-2005, 01:48 PM

I have to agree with the PP who said that if they knew that they had shot kittens then WHY would they have owned up to it thinking they were elsewhere, knowing that they had left some in kittys? I woudl talk to them again and find out if there is anyone else that they know of that does bow hunting and see if they can give some ideas. Also tell them that if you don't figure out who did it you will be going to the athorities and having them persue it. It could possibly get them to admit it was them or to knowing who did it.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:25 PM

I would bet that these boys are shooting things willy nilly, all over the place, INCLUDING the kittens, and thought the arrows were from an animal it IS legal to hunt, or that they had shot stray cats, and once they realized they shot someone's pet, they back pedaled.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 09-20-2005, 05:40 PM

when I hear if BS, like this, done to defenseless animals....
I could go totally medievel on these -ers without a shred of remorse...

please call PD in your area.... maybe they can scare these punks into not doing this again

those poor, poor suffering kitties

: :
your kitties are now at the RAINBOW BRIDGE

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 PM

i would call the cops ASAP and have them arrested. no himmin and hawin. Direct the cops to owners of the arrows and dont worry about any paypack because if there is another animal death the cops will know who to look for first. the hard you persue it the more obligated the police are to close the case.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:49 PM

I guess I try and look for the good in people & PRAY that people aren't that EVIL. But, I certainly don't know a thing about hunting- so I'll take the pp words on it that it was done intentionally.

I DO think you need to go to the authorities, then... before someone else's beloved pet loses their life.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

So it seems to be as finished as it can be here.

I called the police who transferred my case to the Animal Control. Animal Control called and offered to put the cats down for free. : They must have missed the part of the message where I found the arrows in the corpses.

They said that as Animal Control they have no ability to even scare these guys, so I called the police back up and told them to at least go talk to these guys. The guys fessed up to shooting 'some stray cats, but no kittens', so the police just scared them and said they'd be listening for any reports about shot cats in the future. That makes me feel a bit safer about our lambs.

As PP thought, they claim they only shot stray cats, so either they didn't realize they weren't stray or didn't think owners would pursue it.

As for the very optimistic (and I love that about you!) PP who isn't sure it was done intentionally...the guys told me that they were shooting 'at the wood pile. Maybe the arrow went through the wood pile and got the kitten.' Nope. I found the kittens two feet away from each other, both had been shot. Just makes me sick. Obviously intentional.

A friend just offered me a barn cat and one of her kittens. I turned her down. I'll wait till I'm in a safer place.

It's sad really.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 PM

People are just plain sick. I'm soooo soooo sorry for your loss. I know the kitties are happily playing together as I type this- no longer in harms way. You're a kind soul to take in those cats- it's sad there are other "types" of people out there.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 PM

It's OK to kill STRAY CATS but not PET cats ???

: :

ugh... what difference does that make?

they only kill & harm stray animals ??

how the F@$% does that make it ANY better ?

you got some FREAK going around shooting at ANIMALS - PERIOD - wood pile my a$$

how about I do some target shooting on them.... SORRY.
this just PI$$ES me off to NO END.....

(((((((((((((((((( HUGS to you, Niamh )))))))))))))))))

I'm glad the PD will be on the lookout for this....

ps- I love lambs - DS's room is lambs

Old 09-22-2005, 11:56 PM

Call the Cops. They deserve to go to jail. Those cowards. They need jail time for that.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:00 AM

They need the butts kicked
Old 09-24-2005, 10:13 AM

i think my heart just totally broke.
i feel so hurt and angry that people can do this and get away with it. Please call the police. If these monsters think they can get away with this, what will they target next? You? your kids? didn't dahmer start by killing animals?
All I can think of is those two beautiful beings dying in such agony and confusion. My heart goes out to you and yours, and the kitties.

ediesmom

oops, I see you did call the police. I am so glad you sought justice for these living beings.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

User Tag List