The International Move with pets - advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are moving to the States in exactly one month (we just got our leave dates today!). All legal and medical paperwork have been taken care of for our cat and dog but now I need to know what I can do to make it easier on them. We have to fly from Sicily to Baltimore (which will be about three-four plane changes) and then they will be living in a house they have never been with an older female dog and two indoor/outdoor male cats.

Both my pets are males and neutered. Both were strays I took in. The dog is three and has been with us since he was about a week old and I found him in a dumpster. The cat has been with us 6 months but is completely a part of the family. Rehoming them is not an option.

The kennels have been sitting in our dining room for a month. We have started crating the dog in that crate at night instead of his old one. The cat we have been trying to put in there too... :LOL he doesn't like it.

Got any advice? Anyone here make a HUGE international move with pets?

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#2 of 7 Old 09-21-2005, 12:14 PM

Hi,

My ex-SIL moved from San Diego to Sweden and then back a year later. She found that having a blanket and some clothes that you've worn inside the crate during the flights is important. If you have the $$$ it might be worth it to hire a pet transport company to assist throughout all the flights. They might be able to check on your dog between each flight and make sure that food/water is good and that the dog isn't too stressed.

If your dogs have never traveled before, you may want to consider some doggy valium. I'm of the mind that if it makes the trip less stressful for the animal, then I'm all for it Especially with so many flight changes.

Did you google international pet transport?? You'll probably come upon some good sites with better info than I can supply!

Good luck!

Lo
#3 of 7 Old 09-23-2005, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you might look into http://www.pettransporter.com/ or
http://www.airanimal.com/ and then check out this article
http://www.puppydogweb.com/articles/shipping.htm

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#4 of 7 Old 09-23-2005, 04:33 PM
SHK

I have travelled all over the world with my dog...she was born in Australia and has been around the world three times! Poor thing!

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about the travel, but these are things I use to do to make sure my dog was happy travelling...

I would give her homeopathic remedies for the travel. These helped with the stress of the travel. The first time she travelled without them she was stressed and spacey for about 3 days and I felt so guilty. The last time she travelled (she is retired ) it was like taking a sunday drive with the remedies! I give her Aconite 2-3 times a day for 5 days before travelling, and Succinum for 2 x day for 3 days before travelling. The aconite is supposed to help with the noise and unknown environment, and the succinum is supposed to help with being in a small space. From my experience, they really really work. I also give her rescue remedy the day she travels.

Apart from making sure the cage is really truly big enough and that they can sit, stand, move around etc, I put in a couple of towels in the bottom. They won't let you but anything too cushy and no toys or anything. Take off their collar and lease and carry them with you if you are also travelling on the same flight or attach to the outside. Bring your own funnel and water bowl and attach the funnel on the outside so they can fill the water bowl and make sure the water bowl on the inside is really secure. I also bring ice and put that in one half of the water bowl because when they take off they lose half the water...that way the ice eventually melts and they still have something to drink.

I use to have a pet transport company so know all the normal tricks too if you don't have them!!

If you are travelling on the same flight to the US they are probably coming as excess baggage? Stay with them out of the crate as long as possible. Wire tie the crate closed so if they really really need to have access for an emergency they can, and if they don't you know they aren't getting away. I wire tie the two halves together, as well as about four on the door! It also helps to put the pets name and photo on the container...people are more likely to chat to the dog and be nice to it! Also your contact details etc.

From my experience they generally are really nice to the pets. I never board the plane until I know they are on. They almost left my dog in Denver once so I refused to board until the confirmed...which delayed them but had I not she would have been left in Denver...it turned out they couldn't take animals on that flight as the pressurized section was not working...so if I had been nice and gone with the "oh, the pet will be fine trick" I would have got to Baltimore without a dog.....so, don't get on until you know they are already on and be stubborn about it. The only airline I had any trouble with was Frontier and they were the one that almost left her in Denver and then when I got to the East Coast they stupidly put her on the baggage belt thing so when it went around the corner she ended up upside down (boy did that cost them! )...normally they come out of separate door for oversized bags etc...ask as soon as you get there...they are normally the first off!

One time in Singapore they let me climb up the baggage ramp and check on her and when I got there there were 3 people sitting around the cage talking to my dog and giving her water (or eyeing her up for dinner...I like to think they were being nice!)

The other thing is reconfirm their space booking the day before you travel. They can only take a certain number of pets so if they mess it up you could be stuck at the airport with a problem! Better to call and confirm and it takes the stress away.

PM or email me if you want any more advice! Good luck and have a good trip!
#5 of 7 Old 09-23-2005, 04:35 PM
SHK

Also, NEVER EVER use valium or sedate your pet when travelling. A good airline won't take them if you do and it is really dangerous for them......people mistakenly think they should and really is the worst thing you can do!
#6 of 7 Old 09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
SHK

....sorry, spaced out mind.....more things....don't feed them for a few hours before (I normally don't in the last 12 hours...but you know your pets better....they don't want to poop in the crate and it doesn't hurt to starve for 24 hours....as long as they have loads of water (and they will end up peeing in the crate so use old towels or blankets you don't mind throwing away!) they are fine!
#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2005, 07:13 PM

My Breeder/Trainer brings dogs over from the Czech Republic all the time. He also ships dogs worldwide.

He has not had a problem that I'm aware of - at this point.

I know he NEVER sedates the dogs & tries to get them is the best mental & physical shape he can.

Now, he USED to use Delta airlines - he may use something different.

Good Luck

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page