my cat is possessed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-23-2005, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I'm still freaked out from reading Pet Cemetery, and that was 17 years ago!

My 8-yr-old cat (who I've had since kitten hood) has had a different meow all day today. It's not his "in pain" meow, or his "I've spotted prey" meow, or his, "please give me food or affection" meow. This is a meow that I've never heard before, but he's using it for his regular meow.

Strangely, my DD hasn't noticed, and she is the most observant person I know (in addition to the type to get freaked out easily by a possible cat possession).

Is this normal? Maybe he just has a cold or something? Am I going nuts, or has the ever happened to anyone else?

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-24-2005, 06:24 AM

Cats can get laryngitis, maybe it's that? I think most the time it goes away on it's own, but if it last a few days I'd call a vet. I've heard a cat meow wih it before and it sounds pretty odd...

Happily married, Waldorf-inspired homeschooler to Kylan (8yo), Everest (6yo), and Bodhi (2yo)
#3 of 5 Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 AM

My friend had a cat who got laryngitis and after she was all healed up her "meow" had turned into a "mee-" which was kind of weird and scratchy sounding, but otherwise the cat was fine.

Maybe give your vet a call and describe what's going on. Or take her in to the doc if you're really worried about it. Maybe she has a sore throat?

Good luck with your furry baby.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#4 of 5 Old 09-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My cat was 8 when he started meowing differently. I kept checking him out and watching him.....but couldnt see anything wrong. Then after a week or 2, I noticed he was walking unbalanced....and I took him right in to the vet. He was blind........turned out he had a brain tumor.

Im not trying to scare you......but take him in to the vet. You just never know....I think a cats meow can be very telling sometimes
#5 of 5 Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Golly! Thanks for the advice!

Kitty's still sounding strange. I'll call the vet Monday if he's not better.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page