Dog Experts, I need help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does it mean when a dog's nose is cold but dry? She is suddenly breathing slowly but deeply and it sounds like she's almost struggling to get air in. It's fairly warm outside which is why her nose being cold is so weird, also, she just lays there, won't even move for food/treats. I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. I'm real worried about her. She's only 6 1/2 yrs old. Oh, she's a Siberian Husky if that makes a difference.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 07:27 PM

I don't know about the dog, but you would probably have better luck posting in the Pets forum.
#3 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I was looking through the forums for a pets forum but didn't see one - guess I must have missed it. I'll go look again...
#4 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 08:38 PM

does she have a fever?

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#5 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure, how would I tell? She did just throw up about 5 minutes ago. I tried to give her some water in my hand but she wouldn't drink it, she just kept moving her head away from me. I had to wash her chin off though because she couldn't lift her head high enough to keep out of it. Dh is on his way home - If this persists I am going to have him take her to the vet, or call and have one come out to the house - of course we have to get her out from under the car first though which is not going to be easy, she's dug herself a nice little hole under there to lay in.
#6 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 09:30 PM

In serious situations (or situations that we THINK may be serious...) we do the treat and/or water test. If he refuses a drink and hasn't drank for a while it's a sign. If he's drinking TOO much it's a sign... and if he refuses a good treat... then it's off the emergency vets we go!
#7 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 PM

if u have a rectal thermometer u can check her temp. but if she is vomiting and listless and not wanting even her favorite foods, i would either take her to the emergency vet or keep VERY close watch on her. i hope she's ok.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#8 of 18 Old 09-25-2005, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

We didn't make it to the vet, she passed away about 20 minutes ago Thank you all for your help
#9 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 AM

Oh I am so sorry. Do you know what happened to her?
#10 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know what happened, I don't even know what could have made her sick, the only thing I can think of right now is that she was overweight, maybe her heart gave out - but that doesn't explain the vomiting. I have to explain this to my kids, the 11 yo will understand, the 22 mo old is too young to really care yet, but the 4 yo - I have no idea how to explain this to her
#11 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 10:40 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss So sudden!
#12 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 01:58 PM

. i was hoping for a good update. i'm soooooo sorry for your sudden loss. i hope you find a way to explain to your 4 y.o.

#13 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 02:31 PM

I'm so sorry about your dogs passing. I wish I would have seen this sooner I would have said get her to a Emergencey vet right away. Sounds like it could have been overheating or possibly heartworms if he/she was not on preventative, or even congenital heart failure. Let us know when you get the autopsy report back. As for what to tell your 4 year old, Tell her about the Rainbo Bridge here is the story of the Rainbow Bridge:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
#14 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

for your sweet doggy.
#15 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 02:44 PM

If this was extremely sudden, I'd also wonder if the dog might have gotten into something poisenous? I'm so sorry your dog passed away. I hope you and your family will be okay
#16 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 09:15 PM

I suffered a sudden loss like yours 2 yrs ago. My white german shepard just passed out and died. I thank god I was not there. He lived with my parents they live on almost 2 acres I live in the city with a tiny backyard. This was a huge dog taller than me on his hind legs and more than 100 lbs. So when I got married I thought it would be cruel to take him from that environment. We don't know to this day what he dies of (he was also young almost 6yrs old) I still miss him. I hope that you find a way to tell your 4 yr and don't forget your older one eventhough she unders life and death this can still affect her alot I wish your family well
#17 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your hugs and support. I'm still in shock I guess, I haven't really grieved which is weird because I'm usually such an emotional person - and I'm pregnant to top it off.

So far the concensus is that she must have gotten into something, but dh and I have been all over the yard and there's nothing out that we found that she could have gotten into. I really don't think that anyone poisoned her intentionally, she was pretty slow to get up and move so if someone had thrown some tainted food over the fence or something, the other two would have gotten to it first. All I can think of is she loved to dig holes in the yard and I often times found her eating the grass/dirt she was digging (she was such a silly dog) For the past couple of weeks I've been noticing mushrooms growing in the grass - I've tried to keep on top of it and pull them up as soon as I see them - I don't know if eating some of those would have made her sick or not. I'm grasping at straws here. We took the other two dogs to the vet this afternoon and they are fine so if she got into something, she was the only one who got any - which again is weird because they are always together.

She was fully vaxed and up to date on everything but she did have a weak heart. maybe that's just all there is to it. The vet this morning said she was very bloated (dh took her, I didn't see her) I don't know much about dog anatomy, but my grandpa had congenitive (sp) heart failure and in the end it caused him to retain water and swell up like a balloon. Again, more straws - I have to come to grips with the fact that we may not know waht happened.

Thank you all again for your help and support, it has made this whole thing much easier to handle.
#18 of 18 Old 09-26-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss

Stormy is now at the RAINBOW BRIDGE and frolics with the Angels

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page