when to switch a pup over to adult food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-27-2005, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When do you guys switch over large breed pups to adult food? I've had tyson on a large breed puppy food since he came home and have been researching adult foods that are available to us. The thing is, lots of places I find suggest switching at 9 months, others at a year, and others at 18 months. I always thought every dog switched at a year old. What do you guys think? BTW, he is a labrador, so although he is pretty big (80+ pounds), he is not HUGE like a Great dane, a mastiff, or something like that.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 09-27-2005, 05:28 PM

I'm not sure, our shep/lab/whatever mix is about a year now (the shelter thought she was about 3 months old when we got her) anyway we are still feeding large breed puppy and plan on doing it for at least another 6 months if not a year. That said, the reason I'm not considering the switch yet is because we are battling some health problems with her, so I'd like to keep her on it for a while longer.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#3 of 14 Old 09-27-2005, 05:46 PM

I've never had my puppies on puppy food, unless they are scrawny, I feed adult food from day one and supplement with cottage cheese and yogurt to add calcium.
#4 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 PM

: Becuase I need to know too. DH and I were just talking about this yesterday. We also have a lab. Dh says 12 mos, I think 18 mos.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#5 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 02:37 PM

Our vet told us it was okay to switch our lab over at a year old. She's doing great. I can understand the PP who is waiting, due to health problems, though. If anything is going on, I'd think it would be a good idea to wait (what can it hurt???). Our lab is a big, healthy girl, and she's done fine on adult formula.
#6 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

What foods are you guys thinking of switching to when u switch to adult? I was at the feed store yesterday taking down names and prices of the foods to pick the one we can afford with the best ingredients. Right now I'm considering Wellness and California Natural. Maybe Canidae. They have Innova and INnova Evo as well as Natural Balance but those are WAY out of our price range. The most affordable for us would be California Natural. Any thoughts on those foods anyone?

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#7 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 05:42 PM

Keep in mind you feed less of some than others. It shouldn't cost you any more to feed Innova than to feed Cal Nat--in fact, if I remember correctly, the cal nat should cost a bit more.
I have a 100 lb shepherd eating 2.3 cups of Innova and his 85 lb daughter is eating 2.5 cups.
#8 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Due to bone issues, I never would feed my dogs puppy food. They got regular dog food because puppy food makes them grow too fast. Also if you are on a raw diet, puppy food does not apply. You feed a puppy more on raw though because of their growing needs: you would feed them as much as you would estimate their size to be as an adult.
#9 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 07:11 PM

We are feeding the large breed puppy Innova it's 45 dollars for the bag. It is lasting about 5-6 weeks (I don't keep super close track when it runs out I get more :LOL ) Anyway she is "supposed" to eat 4 cups a day based on age/weight but is eating about 3.

I had her on raw for a bit, but it was just to expensive. I know some people can do it free/cheap but that wasn't me.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#10 of 14 Old 09-28-2005, 08:20 PM

I think the suggestion is generally 12 months. If the dog is getting too fat, that is a signal to switch to adult food. There really isn't a lot of difference between puppy food and adult food; puppy food just has more calories.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#11 of 14 Old 09-29-2005, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

i know what you mean about puppy food, but large breed puppy food has controlled calcium and phsphorus ratios so they dont grow too fast.

about the innova... dont dogs get hungry only eating 2.5 cups a day? my husband is convinced they need at lesat 3.5 cups to get full. he says it would be like us eating a sandwich with all the calories for the day, even though our caloric needs are met, we'd get hungry again later. i dont know what to answer to that...

#12 of 14 Old 09-29-2005, 02:18 AM

We fed our lab puppy food until she was a year. Ds always called it "puppy chow" even though we never actually bought that brand of food for her. She comes running to her dish when we say "puppy chow," though, so that's what we still call it. Our dog's 5yo, now, and it really threw my dad for a loop when he was here and ds called the dog for "puppy chow."
#13 of 14 Old 09-29-2005, 05:19 AM

Another good nutritious brand is wellness from

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

You can see where their distributers are. The food is well worth it. Please be wary of feeding pet food from petsmart and walmart and other common places. That food is not safe. Need to make sure you get human grade food for them if you the dog food route.

Sherra
#14 of 14 Old 09-29-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherra
Another good nutritious brand is wellness from

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

You can see where their distributers are. The food is well worth it. Please be wary of feeding pet food from petsmart and walmart and other common places. That food is not safe. Need to make sure you get human grade food for them if you the dog food route.

Sherra
Yeah, I have Wellness on my list of possible foods to feed. I dont buy food from Walmart or grocery stores. I totally agree that those arent safe. Thanks for the heads up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page