Good age for kitty for dd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd LOVES animals, especially cats. I think it's because we don't actually have any that live with us right now! DH and I occassionally talk about adopting a kitty, but have decided to wait. I was thinking that 5 would be a good age...I know I'd still be doing most of the work, but she will be old enough to help a lot, right?

Do you think 5 is a good age? Or any other ieas?

TIA! I like to plan ahead.
#2 of 5 Old 09-28-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't think there's any particular age--if you both want a kitty, then THAT'S a good time. Like you said, you'll still be the responsible one, although your dd can certainly help and, of course, play with the kitty. We've had cats since before our kids were born, but they all loved to feed and water them from the time they were toddlers. I'd give them a cup of water to put into the bowl, or explain about giving them one scoop of food. Other than feeding and cleaning the litter box, cats don't need much in the way of care--I think they're a really easy pet for kids. Of course, NO ONE loves to clean the litter box...

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 5 Old 09-28-2005, 02:02 PM

My DD is 2.5 yo and a friend just gave her a 1 month old kitty. We had older cats before but I was afraid because this cat was so small. All my fears have disappeared now... they play sooo happy together, the kitty has the perfect size for her to carry him around and she has been a perfect "mommy" to him, feeding him, brushing him and even reminding me to clean up his litter box every day . She's gentle with him and he is also learning to not bite too much (he's a little menace). Also has been very helpful because she will let me cut her nails very happily (with out struggling ) after I cut the kitty's. They are growing up together, I think now was the perfect age to have a kitty .
#4 of 5 Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 PM

I think it depends on your child. If she is gentle and knows how to be nice to a small animal then I say go for it. I have had pets ever since I was pretty young, about 3 years old or so. I think it's a good age (if they are ready of course) to have a pet, even if it's just a bird they can watch and help feed.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#5 of 5 Old 09-30-2005, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The only thing that comes to mind is that your dd should understand that she needs to be gentle with animals. As long as that is taken care of, I see no reason to wait!

My dd is 8 months old, and we just got a 2 year old cat. She LOVES kitties..... she starts jabbering in this HIGH squeaky voice every time she seems one!! Its adorable!! But then she tries to pinch and squeeze and eat the kitty, and thats not to good. : :LOL

However, I got the kitty for ME, not for dd.... :LOL ... so thats why we didn't wait. And aside from the fact that dd does not understand that she needs to be gentle, its been fine -- just a little extra running around for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page