vax for pets? or not? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-03-2005, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is something I know NOTHING about. I dont vax my kids, but what about pets? I only have a bunny right now. But we have considred getting a dog. I would like to find some info about hollistic pet care, if anyone has any.

thanks!!

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#2 of 25 Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 PM

Nope. We don't. Interesting that even mainstream pet stuff has started talking about how over vaccinated pets are and how it's dangerous...

-Angela
#3 of 25 Old 10-03-2005, 07:04 PM

i'm interested in this as well. right now we do vax our dogs since they go to the kennel about 1 x yr and also we had to get everyone current on shots for the adoption paperwork...but my heart is not in it...so i'll be checking back for responses...

Kelly, :Mama to Kevin, 10/1/05 & Seth, 7/7/06. ::
#4 of 25 Old 10-14-2005, 04:39 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 25 Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 AM

I only vax my animals for rabies. Every three years. I do worry about diseases, but I worry about them for my kids, and I still don't vax them.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#6 of 25 Old 10-17-2005, 04:31 AM

I do not vax my dogs anymore as one I believe has a skin allergy developed from overvaccination . I won't even do rabies. My dogs that my parents had while I was growing up never got rabies or any other shots and they all lived very long lives and were healthy outdoor dogs.

I want to toss a book out there for you to read before you vax:

Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats

He just released a new book and I will most likely get it. I perused his old book from the library and really liked it. He goes in depth about vaccinations and will have answers for you.

Some interesting websites on pets and vaccines:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm
http://www.critteradvocacy.org/
http://home.san.rr.com/via/PETS/pets.htm
http://www.iaaor.org/news.html
http://alt4animals.com/vaccinations.htm
#7 of 25 Old 10-17-2005, 04:37 AM

Currently trying to find a more holistic vet in my area. I recently decided to stop overvaxing my dog as well. There are so many shots they give them that don't make sense. Lymes disease vax? And so many dogs still get it anyway?
#8 of 25 Old 10-17-2005, 04:52 AM

We do the 3 year rabies (in the past we got more.) Zoe is fully vaxed though as of this year because they would not spay her unless she had them ALL.

Desiree

#9 of 25 Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM

Another book I want to recommend everyone read is WHAT YOUR VET WONT TELL YOU ABOUT VACCINATIONS. Very informative.

I vax my kitty/cat and dogs for the kitty/puppy vaxs and thats it. Dogs have been getting rabies.....but one of my dogs has a fatal kidney disease and the other is 10yrs old, so I wont be doing the rabies vax's anymore.
#10 of 25 Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 PM

This is on my mind too, we are getting our puppy next week!
I selectively vax my kids, and will do the same with the doggie. One at a time, each one considered for risk/benefits, holistic treatment to minimize adverse effects, etc. Some of them I feel are important, but others I will likely not do. My vet is way cool and says for the most part it is our choice. Like for the kids, it is important to find a caregiver you can talk to.
#11 of 25 Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 PM

We have gotten pets from the human society. So they come with some shots but other than that we only do rabies.

If you do not get your pet rabies if something happens you could loose your pet and they will be killed. We get the three year one. I wouldn’t give any if it wasn’t for there being no way around that law. Now if I lived on a farm, took my dogs hunting, or lived in another area I wouldn’t bat an eye at giving rabies.

*********I will warn you that treating parvo is expencive. But we found that if you say you don’t have money treatment gets a heck of a lot cheaper. They show you how to treat by yourself, or you can come in.
#12 of 25 Old 10-18-2005, 11:35 PM

I am probably in the minority here but I will vaccinte our new puppy when we get him/her. I have seen too many animals die from parvo/distemper when working in a vet clinic.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#13 of 25 Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 AM

Here is my 2 cents ok maybe a dollar (it is long)

Dogs-- "normal vaccinations" are DHLPP or DHPP every 3 -4 weeks from about 6 weeks to 16 weeks of age then yearly Rabies is given one time at 16 weeks then booster yearly or every 3 years depending on local law
D -- canine distemper -
H -- hepatitis -CAV2
L -- Leptosporosis
P -- Parainfluenza
P -- Parvo virus

Lepto -- some dogs have severe reactions to it-- we do not give at all
--lepto is a bacteria spec. spirochete bacteria -- basically dogs get is from outdoor/dirty water source esp. where there is livestock runoff water-- dogs can die from this

distemper -- resp. and nervous system , often fatal, found in wild animal populations sometimes animal shelters will get it and almost lose or do lose all the dogs

Parainfluenza - resp. disease not usually fatal except of course in the young, old , or already sick animal

Hepatitis -- viral liver disease, can be fatal,

parvovirus -- gastrointestional virus that is highly contagious in kennels and unsanitary conditions often kills puppies

also commonly given/available

coronovirus -- very similar to parvo clinically,

lyme vaccine -- lymes disease (tick borne disease)

bordetella vaccine - vaccinates against kennel cough which is a brochitis

Currently certain org. have "pushed" vaccine companies into testing and getting approved longer acting vaccines
I believe (ask your vet) there is a 3 yr. dhpp available now, can not remember product name. Is it better for your pet ??? May be "stronger" initially and therefor last that long or just has been tested to be effective that long. Does not mean a 1 yr. vaccine only "lasts" 1 year, that is just how long vaccine companies tested it for.

Rabies is required by law. Some areas accept 3 yr. vaccines and some only do 1 yr. Dog must be at least 16 weeks old.

IMO if you are against vaccines or would like to do a modified program
at least do rabies(once a year or every 3 years) and parvo vaccine when a puppy and booster every three weeks ( there is a parvo vaccine by itself available) . parvo is so common and kills little puppies easily.

the big problem with switching the industry to less vaccines is money of course. Vaccine companies will lose and vets will lose.
what I have learned - experience and journals- a well run practice should not depend on vaccines to keep it afloat. therefor a good practice should be able to adjust. If a receptionist, tech, or vet argues / disapproves of your choice to not vaccinate or to modify the protocol, maybe you want to rethink going there.

I personally do not feel the need to talk client into vaccines if they do not want them. I tell them here is the info. rabies is all that is required. We also have started to give vaccines every 3 years to older dogs that are not in an at risk environment. -- A 5 year old healthy dog who has been vaccinated yearly that does not go anywhere besides their backyard -- does he need dhpp every year??

Also in old dogs (the kind I wonder if I will see them next year) I discuss the possible side effects of the vaccines. I feel if they have been vaccinated well, it might harm them more to stimulate there immune system that much more. I usually just give rabies.

Ok I will stop now. I did not even get into cats.
ohh yeah disclaimer :LOL
Please consult your veterinarian for specific information about your pet. This is merely a informative post. and please disregard any spelling errors -- NAK part of the time
#14 of 25 Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 AM

Our Zeke had parvo when he came to us as a tiny puppy. He was supposedly fully vaccinated according the breeder but a few days later he had it anyways, had a seizure and I rushed him to doggy ER and he stayed for 3 days and cost about $500 but ended up being fine. The vet actually told me he didnt need any more parvo vaccines because he would be immune.

Desiree

#15 of 25 Old 10-19-2005, 04:45 AM

If you go to amazon.com and look up holistic books on vet or something, you come up with 3 or so books. I checked all 3 of those books out of the library and all 3 vets interestingly didn't start as as homeopathic vets. They said the ONE thing they turned around on was the parvo virus shot. They found that a strong majority of parvo cases came from dogs who WERE vaccinated WITH parvo. There is so much scare tactics going on....I guess I was kinda forced into a ton of reading because both my dog and My daughter reacted to vaccines.

Interesting tidbit I thought on the parvo take on who actually GETS parvo a majority of the time. I somehow do not think they are lying and they surely would make more money if they just cowtowed to vaccines for all animals.
#16 of 25 Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 AM

Most of the parvo cases I actually see are puppies that have no vaccines. If a puppy is vaccinated recently for parvo (7-10 days I believe) they will test postive for parvo.
#17 of 25 Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM

I do have our cat vaxed, b/c he does sneak outdoors and I have far less control over his habits and his environment, than I do my kids'. We live in a rural area, on a private road, with feral cats and a serious deer tick problem. (I've found two ticks feeding on our cat in the past three weeks alone. ) In the years we have lived here, we have encountered several small animals (raccoons & bats) we suspected of having rabies.

Our vet is pretty AP/NFL. She recs the one-yr rabies vax over the 3-yr b/c she feels it is safer and more effective.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#18 of 25 Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 PM

I got both of my cats from a shelter so they are currently up-to-date on their vaccines. One is 2 yrs the other is 1 yr. I will not be vaxing them in the future. They are healthy indoor cats. I do not vax my son and for the same reasons I will not vax my cats.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#19 of 25 Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Most of the parvo cases I actually see are puppies that have no vaccines. If a puppy is vaccinated recently for parvo (7-10 days I believe) they will test postive for parvo.
I can appreciate this is your experience and I respect that. However, I wish to clarify my comment about parvo cases came from 3 conventional vets who turned holistic (read their books and they are widely respected in their field)....a few of them started to turn based on the parvo shot not being effective inm their patients. So in their experience, most of the parvo cases came from those injected with the parvo vaccine. I'm talking actually having parvo disease, not just testing positive for it. These animals were sick.

Unfortunately we have let our animal's health go by the way side feeding them real crap (talking in general public and food that is available at places like walmart and petsmart). Good health starts WITH diet and we are less suceptible to disease. But instead of vets talking good health, people will usually think the vaccine is the panacea for disease unfortunately. People need to realize there IS another side to this.
#20 of 25 Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM

I was just looking for this info.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#21 of 25 Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 PM

What about an indoor cat? She's 6mo and has had no shots. But I just saw her catch a mouse...in my house!

So, now I'm wondering if I should do rabies when they have the free clinic?
#22 of 25 Old 12-30-2005, 11:58 PM

I vaxed my dogs. My first 2 dogs got all their puppy shots and then received yearly boosters. My younger dog, Tyson, has had his puppy vaxes and the required rabies shot. However I have read alot of overvaxing and I am looking for a vet who will do titer testing before giving yearly boosters for the routine vaxes. Where I live the rabies vaccine is given every 3 years. I think that puppy vaxes are important becuase they protect against very serious and very hard to cure illnesses, my dog Tyson got parvo when he was 3 months old and it was horrible. He had not finished his vaxes then but thank goodness, he was ok. I have also seen dogs with distemper and it is not pretty. So for me, I will do puppy vaxes and then check titer levels if I find a vet who will that in my area.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#23 of 25 Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM

We vax, but every vax except rabies is on an extended vax plan. The vet told me that most vax's will last a lot longer than the manufacturers will lead us to believe, so we give them as far apart as possible.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#24 of 25 Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 PM

Ok we vax, why? Basically because it's the law we live "within city limits" all animals have to be registered up to date on shots ect.

IMO I'd rather risk the exposure than risk something happening, and our dear sweet pup being put down because I didn't have proof of rabies. I know it's lame but I can't "fight the good fight" on everything, I have to give in on a few things and this is one of them.

The cats get the 3 year shot which I do stretch a tiny bit.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#25 of 25 Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM

I'm trying to decide what to do about this, myself. The cat hasn't had any shots in four years - mainly because she's an inside only cat and I just didn't see spending the money. Now we're thinking about getting a dog that would go outside, and I'm trying to figure out what to do. Rabies is a supposedly a large concern here. I don't vaccinate my kid... and I value my kid more than my pets, however speciest of me that may be.

I'll be checking out those books and links.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page