Natural Pet Foods - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 174 Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never fed Trader Joe's, so I looked up the website http://www.traderjoes.com/ but it doesn't say much.

Anyway, I have a cat who had FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease). I've already written the story in this thread somewhere, but to recap: Jackson was diagnosed when peeing sparkly blood all over the house. We put him on Purina One Urinary Tract Health Formula and he seemed to get better after a while. He was asymptomatic for a couple of years, so we assumed the food had taken care of the crystals like it was supposed to. I happen to be a veterinary technician student, so I had the opportunity to run urine tests on Jackson for free. I was shocked when I looked at his urine under the microscope. It was wall-to-wall struvite crystals. Soon after that, I learned about Innova EVO from this forum and put both my cats on it. I recently ran another urine test on Jackson and it was clear. EVO has an incredibly high protein content, and when protein is metabolized it produces acidic urine. When the urine is properly acidic, it won't allow the crystals to form.

All the UT cat foods like Purina and Hill's have lowered levels of minerals (ash) in an attempt to reduce the amount of minerals in the urine. The theory being that if there are less minerals in the urine, they won't form as many crystals. But my personal experience obviously has found that the minerals are not the problem, the pH is the problem.

I haven't heard of the crystals changing in older cats, but like I said, I'm only a student and I don't have much experience. It's hard to say if the change in crystals is really just what happens in old age, or if it is a side effect of feeding the Hill's. While Hill's produces a lot of specialized diets, it is of similar quality to other mainstream brands. Hill's still uses by-products and chemical preservatives in all of their foods. I'd recommend switching all of your cats to Innova EVO (or raw if you are so inclined), and getting a urine test on the one FLUTD cat in a couple of months. I bet it would be clear. Good luck!

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 174 Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 AM

So I got california naturals lamb and rice for my super sensitive dog. She loved it (but then she eats anything). I got evo dry for my cats. They are less than impressed but that is normal for them. I mixed in some pet promise dry that I already had that I know they like. That made them happy. (dh thinks I gave in :eyeroll) And I got the card for the local homeopathic vet

Anyhow thanks again.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#63 of 174 Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 PM

I have tried both Blue Buffalo and SOlid Gold brands with my cats. THey like it, and I like that its good for them - but with one issue. The litter box.

Not that they aren't using it - but rather, they are! But the smell, omg, what a smell. The stench of the "good food" poop could raise the dead. :

It's an issue I never had on Iams, Nutro or Science Diet. Anyone else here noticing it? Or should I go back to Nutro?
#64 of 174 Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had the same thing happen to us when we switched from Nutro to Calif Natural. My kitty who was about 5mos at the time, started stinking to high heaven, his poops, and he had gas. It got progressivly worse until I saw him looking in pain when he pooped. We did a culture, there was nothing found. I switched him back to Nutro Kitty and he was fine...no more gas or smelly poop. I guess it just didnt agree with him. The vet said they see that sometimes.......
#65 of 174 Old 02-21-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my pets got their first taste of raw. I bought a whole Cornish hen for them and cut it up into big chunks. One cat, Jackson, wasn't too thrilled. He just licked it for a while and went to the cupboard to beg for EVO. The other cat and the two dogs just scarfed down their pieces. It was so much fun to watch them eat it. They were sawing through the meat and bone with those big teeth in the back, and all I could think of was how much I've been depriving them of the experience of actually eating. Eating kibble is nothing like the eating behaviors animals are intended to experience. Plus chomping through raw meat and bone has got to be good for their teeth!

They are all still getting a combo of kibble and raw for the forseeable future. I even asked about feeder mice and such at the pet store. I'll probably get some frozen mice, rats, and whatever else they have eventually.

The only one who got sick was Nikki, my husky. All the rest of them have had normal stool, and seem perfectly healthy. Nikki vomited several times during the night and had diarrhea. I was worried that this wasn't going to work out, but then I remembered that she was on a very long course of antibiotics a couple months ago. I think maybe her gut bacteria are out of whack, so I'm giving her acidophilus pills for a while. I'm pretty confident that will take care of it. (I offered yogurt, and she wouldn't touch it.)

#66 of 174 Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 AM

Hmmm...Dog is still stinking on lamb and rice

I think I remember this from when we put her on that before. Could she have a rice allergy? Or lamb? Is there a dog evo? Might that help her?

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#67 of 174 Old 03-05-2006, 08:16 PM

I'm a newbie here

I feed my pups Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lovers Soul and it's great. Thier coats or so soft and silky and the poop is compact and really doesnt stink much. The price is great too!
#68 of 174 Old 03-10-2006, 03:42 PM

#69 of 174 Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
It was so much fun to watch them eat it. They were sawing through the meat and bone with those big teeth in the back, and all I could think of was how much I've been depriving them of the experience of actually eating. Eating kibble is nothing like the eating behaviors animals are intended to experience. Plus chomping through raw meat and bone has got to be good for their teeth!
This is how I felt the first time I fed my dog raw too. I love watching/listening to her eat. One reason I feed her a prey model diet and not BARF or a mix is because I believe part of the benefits of feeding raw is the workout they get in eating their food. As for the teeth, when my dog was on kibble, she was a year old and my vet thought she'd need a dental done soon because her teeth were getting bad. (And I always had her on "good," natural kibbles.) I switched her to raw soon after for her liver problems, but a great side effect is the effect it has had on her teeth! They are sparkling now. The vet saw her later and thought I had taken her somewhere else for a cleaning.

My dog can't eat poultry. It gives her diarrhea and/or makes her vomit. It happens with kibble and raw. She actually has a true allergy. (Which are rare, though vets often blame digestive problems in animals on allergies.) Most likely you're right and it's just the antibiotics causing the problems, but just in case I'd make sure to stick with on protein source at a time for now so if she does have allergies you'll know what they are.

Innova Evo does have a dog formula as well as a cat. One warning that I found out very recently. (And if you are worried you can call Innova and talk to them about it, it is something they are aware of.) Because of the fact Evo is still a processed, dried food, but there is no grain in it (which is good, carnivores cannot digest grains the way we can), it is digested a bit differently than most other kibbles. Basically, it doesn't have as much fiber because of the no grains thing, but it's still a very dry food. If your dog or cat has a history of liver problems, OR if your dog/cat doesn't drink much as a rule, you may want to avoid feeding Evo, or at least keep an eye that they don't get dehydrated. It has the potential to cause liver problems. Animals fed a raw diet naturally don't drink as much because there is so much moisture in their food, but that's all been taken out of Evo's kibble. I think if your pet drinks enough, Evo is definitely still one of the best kibbles out there, but just wanted to warn everyone just in case. As I said, it's something quite recent that Innova's been warning about.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#70 of 174 Old 03-12-2006, 02:30 AM

Oops forgot to reply to this.

Quote:
Hmmm...Dog is still stinking on lamb and rice

I think I remember this from when we put her on that before. Could she have a rice allergy? Or lamb? Is there a dog evo? Might that help her?
I personally wouldn't feed a lamb and rice kibble unless you have a reason (ie. an allergy to chicken). When I used to work with pet food reps, lamb and rice was sort of a fad. Basically, some animals were having problems on a chicken-based diet, due to allergies or intolerances or whatever. Possibly it had nothing to do with the chicken and just the quality of the food. Needless to say, when these people switched their dogs to lamb and rice (and at first only the high quality dog foods offered a lamb and rice formula), the animals naturally did better. So people sort of started to get the idea that lamb and rice was a superior diet to chicken, regardless of allergies or whatnot. In reality, chicken and even pork are both easier proteins for them to digest. It's been a few years since I worked with pet foods, so I don't remember all the details, but iirc lamb is a more complex protein, and even more so when it's processed (as in kibble), and does give some animals quite bad gas and stinky poos. Also, some foods were putting sunflower oils in their food rather than fish oil (which is a source of omega 3), and my experience was these could cause runny stools and gas as well in a lot of animals. (I don't know what the oil source in California Natural is anymore.) I would try the Evo and see if that helps out in your case. More than likely it's not the protein sources at all that are causing problems, but the grains or the rice.

Lindsay - DD1, born posterior and chin up at home, Aug 2007
DD2, born at home in the water, March 2010
#71 of 174 Old 05-18-2006, 10:14 PM

My crew gets Nutro Natural Choice. I've had issues with excessive shedding (my Shepherd/Collies were awful!) and tha'ts gotten better. Lucky's hips have gotten better. Little Man's terrible hot spot that he came here with went away. My litter box quit stinking, the cats quit throwing up, the dogs quit throwing up. I've been nothing but happy with it.

The Pet's Promise food isn't as good as they make it look when you read the label. Several kinds of grain, and vegetable oil is the only fat. There's way better stuff for less price. I kinda have a passion for dog food after learning a lot about it when I got Little Man (my Shih Tzu) and he had a really bad hot spot from food allergies.

Amber
#72 of 174 Old 05-19-2006, 11:28 PM

Here's a good source for feeding cats a BARF diet that I haven't seen here yet: www.holisticat.com

I have two cats -- Keeley and Mango (both Siberians, age 2 and 1 yr). They are both on a raw diet. I make a mix for them which I finally had to settle on since they loved the food in whole pieces so much, they kept dragging their food off to make sure the other doesn't get to it.

I am big on variety for filling in the gaps of nutrition, so the cats get a varied diet of mostly chicken rotated with turkey and salmon (this is canned since raw salmon is way too expensive) with special occasion meals of rabbit or duck. I started both cats on chicken and very slowly introduced new meats. New meats I always introduce as a snack of 1 tbsp or so to make sure they don't have a reaction. If all's well, I add it to their rotation.

Keeley is a kibblehead at heart since I didn't start him on BARF until he was about six months old. But he does love his raw meat. Mango I started on BARF the minute I got him at 11 weeks. It shows too -- Mango is much more solid when I pick him up.

I have put them on EVO or Wellness when we've had to go away and had them boarded or had people look after them. Although we always give instructions to feed on the heavier side, they always are super hungry and scrawny when I get back. It seems like they just don't absorb the stuff as well when it's cooked.

Oh, and I love their poop on raw -- they are tiny and barely smell at all!
I use the World's Best Cat Litter, which is made entirely of corn and does clump. It is awesome at sucking up the smell right away, which is important to me since Keeley doesn't cover.
#73 of 174 Old 05-23-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I fed my cat, Doc, a small dead rat this morning. I bought a bunch of frozen rats from the pet store. He scarfed it down. When he was done, there was what looked like a ball of yellowish play-doh sitting there. It was a little larger than a marble. Upon closer inspection it looked like it was the stomach contents of the rat, like a ball of partially digested grain. I pointed it out to Doc and asked him if he wanted it. He looked at it and wandered off. So much for the idea that carnivores eat the stomach contents of their prey. Somehow, he ripped the stomach apart and ate the stomach, but left the digested grain.

Also when I offered a dead rabbit to my husky, she didn't want it. I cut it open so she could smell the guts. She still didn't want it. She kept sniffing the guts with a wierd look on her face, like 'Yuck!' So I gutted it out, removing all the innards, and then she ate the rabbit.

I think it's pretty clear that both dogs and cats are true carnivores. Dogs are also scavengers if they have to be, but I wouldn't call them omnivores. It doesn't seem like they necessarily eat the stomach contents for the digested plant matter.

#74 of 174 Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread.

I gave my cat innova lite, then Evo. I think the idea of evo is great, but my kitty would have burps after eating it. I don't know maybe she needed some probiotics to help digest it.

I can't imagine my cat eating raw meat. Shes so picky.

When/if I get a puppy, I really want to try to feed all raw.
#75 of 174 Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Actually the EVO has more probiotics than the regular, it's probably more that she's eating too much of it, you really don't need to feed much (like 2/3 of what she's eating of the regular)
Hope that might help!
#76 of 174 Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfThePride
Try Feline Pine, or Yesterday's News.
FYI, Yesterday's News is a Purina product, which is owned by Nestle. I do buy it for my guinea pigs - it's the litter that works best in our case, but I really hate giving any money to Nestle. We are also using their dog litter for our new puppy, but will transition her to outside when she isn't going a dozen+ times a day, so that the box will only be for when she's home for several hours. Now, if only we could get our 17y.o. Pom to use it! He'd rather sleep in the box and pee on his bed.: :
#77 of 174 Old 07-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Nutro Natural Choice Training Bits have propylene glycol in them. I suggest checking the ingredients in other "Natural Choice" products before using them.

We have been using Nutro Ultra for our puppy and senior dogs. It was what was recommended for the puppy, and I liked the ingredients better than Nature's Recipe's, so we switched our other dog.

I have done some looking at raw diets, but haven't spent enough time to figure out which one I'd like to use. There is one that is dehydrated food that you order directly from the company, then mix at home with meat and water. It sounds interesting.
#78 of 174 Old 07-15-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Actually the EVO has more probiotics than the regular, it's probably more that she's eating too much of it, you really don't need to feed much (like 2/3 of what she's eating of the regular)
Hope that might help!
well then I'll have to get another bag of it when I go back to where I used to live, this summer. I can't get it here. I have two cats and its hard to distribute the food fairly. ones a hog, the other side steps.

I've been giving them something called precise plus that I got at the health food store. Hope its good.
#79 of 174 Old 07-15-2006, 02:02 AM

here is a link for precise plus... a baked "all natural" pet food. http://www.precisepet.com/
#80 of 174 Old 08-17-2006, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nature's Variety is also a great food! My friend who only feeds raw uses NV on travelling trips with the dogs.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#81 of 174 Old 08-19-2006, 02:11 PM

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/ We feed a combo of Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw food and EVO. Honest Kitchen is rehydrated with a 2:1 water to food ratio, and the boys LOVE it. I mean, tail thumping, barking, howling, drooling, true love.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#82 of 174 Old 08-26-2006, 11:49 PM

Hoping someone here can answer this question for me...is the Innova Evo good for puppies? I'm a bit confused by the info on their site. Thanks!
#83 of 174 Old 08-27-2006, 12:04 AM

Yes, it's fine for puppies, I have NEVER fed any puppy a "puppy food"
#84 of 174 Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Thanks!
#85 of 174 Old 08-28-2006, 02:07 AM

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/home/index.php

They have dog food and cat food. Both dry and wet, and kitty and puppy formulas.

Never tried it but the website has a what's IN it and wha't NOT in it page and this is what it says for what's NOT:
Quote:
NO Poultry by-product meal – ground, rendered, cleaned slaughtered poultry carcass parts such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs and intestines (and a small amount of feathers). The quality is very inconsistent between batches.

Note: By product meals are often derived from 4-D meat sources - defined as food animals that have been rejected for human consumption because they were presented to the meat packing plant as “Dead, Dying, Diseased or Disabled”.

NO Antibiotics or steroids - Long-term daily administration may result in a compromised immune system and destruction of the friendly bacteria living in the intestines that aid the digestion of food and assimilation of nutrients.

NO Chemical additives or artificial preservatives - Chemical antioxidants, such as ethoxyquin or BHA, that were designed to extend the shelf life and reduce fat spoilage (rancidity) of pet foods may cause allergic reactions and affect liver and kidney functions.

NO Wheat, NO corn, NO soy - Wheat and corn may cause allergies in some dogs and cats; processed soy has been incriminated as a cause of bloating in dogs.

NO Artificial flavors – Flavor enhancers are produced by the enzymatic liquefaction or hydrolysis of animal tissue. Those made with phosphoric acid are particularly appealing to cats because they produce a "tingling" sensation on the tongue.

NO Artificial Colors and Dyes – Coloring agents provide an artificial "rich and "meaty" look to modify the appearance of highly processed foods and make them more appealing to pet owners.
So I'm buying it in bulk through my buying club this month as it's on sale. I'm sure my kitty will appreciate it.... he better.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#86 of 174 Old 08-31-2006, 11:01 PM

Both our cats eat this http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/home.html

We just got our first puppy a few days ago he came to us on Purina One from the Breeder :. Since the day after he came home he has been on a blan diet to help his loose stools. I'm still reserching on what to move him to and picked this up the other day http://www.sensiblechoice.com/SCHDNBP.HTM

Thoughts? You ladies seem to know your stuff .
#87 of 174 Old 09-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Anyone... anyone?
#88 of 174 Old 09-05-2006, 03:18 PM

camotyka~ this is a sticky of natural pet foods. If you want to ask questions about something specific, I think you are best to start a new thread, so this sticky doesn't get too busy.
#89 of 174 Old 09-05-2006, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

camotyka, both of those look really good.

#90 of 174 Old 09-10-2006, 02:11 PM

We feed Cannidae and Solid Gold. I was a vet tech for several years and I worked for a vet that practiced alternative medicine. Nutrition was a big part of our practice.

Also, there is a good book......'The Nature of Animal Healing' by Dr Martin Goldstein.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page