Wartlike Growths on dog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2005, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 10yr old border collie mix has 3 wartlike growths, black, one on the side ofher face, one in her ear, and one on her back. They are crusty with blood, probably from her scratching them. THey look like black cauliflower.

Im taking her in to get a rabies vax....but just wondering if anyone knows what this is and if its just one of those things older dogs get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My IL's has a standard Snauzer (sp?) who had those.
I'm in no way saying this to freak you out-and I'm NOT a vet, so take this with a grain.
His ended up being Cancer.
He had one by his anus (which was black), which got very big and gross.
He also had one on his side.
The kicker was when I was over for dinner.
He was FINE before dinner. Within 15 mins, he had a HUGE swlling mass on his front bottom gums.
I was like WTF??
It kept getting worse and he got another during a rushed dinner on the top.
They took him ASAP to a bad vet who said it was an infected tooth.

It turned out to be systemic Cancer.
They took out part of his bottom jaw and did other surgeries. But by this time is was just too far gone. (He was 9)

I really hope you find that it is just a topical thing.
Please post when you see the vet.
Sandy
Old 12-04-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.....Im taking her in soon and will have them checked out. Hopefully they are nothing.....Ill post again
Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Dar

Our old lab, Keithie, has tons of them. He had a big one on his toe (we called it his 'frankentoe') but he kept bumping it and it started to get gross, so we had to have it removed. He also has a big one under one of his eyes, and everyone always stops and asks what's wrong with him... but surgery next to his eye would be risky, and he probably wouldn't be able to fully close his eye afterwards, and it doesn't seem to bother him so we leave it. Oh, and he has a bunch in his ears, which makes them very susceptible to ear infections, so be sure to keep them clean.

Most of Keith's are pink, except the one by his eye, which is black. I think that has to do with the color of the skin they're on, though.

Anyway, other than looking funny and the ear thing, they've been nothing to worry about...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 12-04-2005, 11:53 PM

My sharpei had what looked like a wart on the back of his leg. I thought it was maybe a bug bite. Eventually it got bigger. It had turned into a big watery cyst. We took him into the vet and had it biopsed. For him it turned out to be a mast tumor, cancerous. We removed it and put him on high doses of steroids. Its been 3 years and no problems since. I know some dogs like mine are more prone to cysts etc. Hope its nothing for your pup!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:55 PM

I have a cocker spaniel, a breed prone to warts. Jazzy had a black wart on her jowl that was there for over a year (it never got any bigger during that time). We were not too worried about it until DH's parent, who have Jazzy's sister, said that a black wart could mean cancer (so they heard from their vet when they took Jazzy's sister in for her warts.)

We took her to the vet and had it removed. They did a biospy and it was not cancerous. We were very relieved. Hopefully, you will have the same results.

Good luck,
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM

OP: Anything to report?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:14 AM

If it is a wart, tea tree oil can *sometimes* work to shrink it down and prevent any infection from happening if she's scratching them.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

The vet said that they are benign growths (sorry, forgot the medical name for them) that sometimes grow bigger as the dog ages. He recommended taking them off.....esp the one in her ear.

User Tag List