DOG OWNERS :PSA about "Turned Stomach" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I received this email from a friend of mine (names have been removed) this morning, and thought I would share it. If this info can prevent even one owner from having to go through this, then it's worth posting:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is with an immensely sad heart that I write this email - hoping that maybe our loss can help someone else. Last night we had to put our dog to sleep. It was a horrible (yet necessary) decision - but one filled with a lot of tears. Being that she was only 8-1/2 - we weren't quite ready for this. We are devastated.

To make a long story short, her stomach turned (literally). We aren't quite sure how (because this is mostly due to overeating - and she hadn't - but it was possibly due to her separation anxiety....we'll never know). If you have a dog PLEASE read this link: http://www.mediarelations.ksu.edu/WE...istdog728.html or this one: http://www.purinaone.com/dogcare_con...leNumber=30017

They explain a little about a "turned stomach" and how to prevent it. It is a common situation - but once it occurs, you are only looking at a 50/50 chance of recovery (at best) WITH the surgery - and not always with good results after that.

Thanks for looking at this. I hope it helps you or someone you know so that they don't have the hurt we have right now.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had never heard of this before...maybe some of you have? I hope nobody else has to go through this! Poor pup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-12-2005, 05:22 PM

Yes I have heard of it. & seen it thanks to Vet ER on Animal Planet. It is so sad. I am sorry about your friends puppy.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#3 of 8 Old 12-12-2005, 07:02 PM

I have heard of it. Those articles were really useful, there was some information in there I didn't know. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer, and all the breed-specific books I have mention it and caution owners to be aware of the danger signs. It is supposed to help prevent it if you feed your dog small meals and don't let them exercise too soon after eating... but nothing that we know of can prevent it completely.
#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2005, 02:02 AM

I lost my Borzoi, Zach, to this many years ago.... it's called a gastric torsion. I had worked at a vet clinic so knew what it was immediately. We x-rayed him to see how many twists he had prior to taking him to surgery but when we looked at the x-ray, his stomach had twisted many times and his spleen was 5-6 times larger than normal.... the vet said she felt it was cancer of the spleen. I euthanized him then. It was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life. I don't know how I would have gone on if not for dd. We are getting another Borzoi at the end of the month and I know I will watch him like a hawk.....

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#5 of 8 Old 12-13-2005, 03:57 AM

Newer studies are also showing a diet very low in grain products reduces incidence and VERY few cases are seen in dogs eating a BARF diet. Dog's should not be excercised for an hour after eating (so yes, separation anxiety can cause it)
The quicker it's caught the better the outcome. If you do have surgery done, it's definitely worth having them tack the stomach down as once they've flipped once they're immediately at greater risk.
Most common in deep chested dogs that tuck up at the ribs. Large breeds with deep chests should always be fed twice a day.
Do a test with your dog food. Place 4 kibbles in a bowl and add just enough water to cover them. Leave overnight, if the next morning the kibble is more than twice the original size--it's a VERY bad sign.
#6 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 AM

my Breeder/Trainer gets his dogs from the CZ Rep & after a few decades of kibble-only diet - they started losing dogs from bloat/torsion.

they started back with raw bones & meat a few times a week in conjunction with kibble & it's been much better.
their theory: dogs' stomachs were designed to digest things like some raw meat/bones & stomach needed the "workout" it got from digesting those foods.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#7 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 04:40 PM

We lost a dog to this as well a rescued Bassett hound, woke up in the middle of the night "screaming" and frothing at the mouth, took her to the emergency room/vet... she was older, it was horrible
I had known about this with other large dogs I had, fed twice daily and no running after eating and such, but with her this just happened in the middle of the night for no "apparent" reason and it was devastating, she was the best little bassie...

:energ y
#8 of 8 Old 12-14-2005, 04:57 PM

Thanks for posting to alert others about this condition. I had heard of it but dismissed it as some sort of myth (really - it sounds so extreme - a twisted stomach?!) until it happened to us this summer. We were fostering-to-adopt a 10 year old standard poodle and, incredibly, within 30 hours of his coming to stay with us, he began to writhe in agony. We rushed him to the vet and, long and painful story short, his stomach had twisted multiple times and we had to put this sweet old gentleman to sleep that evening. The only comfort is that had he not come to live with us this would have happened in his crate in the shelter where he was left alone much of the night. His symptoms kicked in around 7:30 PM and I think, had he not come to our house, he would have instead passed a night in horrible agony and died alone in his crate, instead of going to sleep with his head in my lap and my voice in his ear. Argh, I still get teary when I think of it - that sweet dog did not deserve that painful ending just after finding a home.

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page