Kidney function tests in a dog...what does this mean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2006, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 year old mixed breed sweetie pie just got some blood work back. We went to see the vet because of some tumors on her eyelid. We're still waiting for pathology results on the tumors, but the vet called and said that everything looks good with the exception of her kidney function tests. Her creatinine is 1.7 and her BUN is 33. I know what these results mean in people (I'm a nurse practitioner), but haven't a clue in a dog. The vet said we could either check a first morning urine or recheck her blood work in a month. I opted to wait the month. He said that though her results are just a bit above normal that if the repeat test is the same he would suggest a low protein diet and a vasodilator.

Can any of you vets or vet techs out there share some thoughts about this?

Oh, and I havn't noticed more water consumption or urinating than normal, but I have 5.5 month old twins and a 4 year old so I don't notice much these days

TIA!

Trying to get my bearings...
#2 of 5 Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 AM

Well, those numbers aren't hugely out of whack and the fact that she's not showing any signs of kidney failure is great.
Personally I go with the school of thought that the issue is less about amount of protein and much much more about quality of protein. You can get protein from shoe leather--but it's really HARD for the body to break it down and put it to use, kwim? What food is she eating now?
I thing rechecking in a month is a good idea, urine isn't going to tell you a whole bunch but getting a specific gravity would be nice. The good news is that I've seen dogs with FAR worse levels than her's live many years like that.
#3 of 5 Old 03-11-2006, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Shannon! Thanks for the response. I'm embarassed to admit that she is eating nothing fancy. She gets plain old Pedigree Adult formula. We get that because it is one of the few foods she is semi-enthusiastic about. She is not a big eater.

Is there a food that you recommend? We don't have the $$ for anything too fancy (spending all the extras on hypoallergenic formula for the boys ), but I'd definitely be open to trying something new.

Thanks Shannon. From wierd pregnancy rashes to doggy health, you answer all my MDC questions!

Trying to get my bearings...
#4 of 5 Old 03-11-2006, 02:49 AM

Check out the natural foods sticky at the top of this forum. It shouldn't cost you any extra to feed a higher end food, the price per bag is higher, but the dog requires less food, so it all evens out.

Sorry to hear the boys need hypoallergenic formula, we had that nightmare with Molly too and it was hell!
Hope they're doing well though and Ellie too! She must love her little brothers!
#5 of 5 Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 AM

We have a cat in kidney failure and a dog showing signs of kidney problems. Kitty was given 2 months to live--over 2 years ago. What has helped the most is giving subqutaneous fluids (like iv's, only under the skin between the shoulder blades, not directly into the veins). It helps to flush built-up toxins out and makes up for some of the reduction in kidney function. sub-q's are very common, and according to our vet, many elderly animals can reap benefits from fluid therapy. Luckily, our cat is very calm and actually seems to like the whole process. I wouldn't put him through it if it stressed him out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page