kitten pooping on floor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we just got a 12 week old kitten for my daughter's birthday. he is exceptionally cute and affectionate, and seems healthy except he keeps POOPING on the floor (3 times so far.) it is also quite loose, not the "tootsie roll" type poops of a regular cat, but mushy like maybe diarrhea. so i don't know if it's a behavioural issue or a medical issue. we have shown him where the litterbox is about 12000 times, and we THINK he is using it (we have another cat, so it's hard to tell if the kitten is using it as well.)

when he does poop on the floor, how best to deal with it? the old "Rub their nose in it" thing, or is there a better way to discipline him? usually i let him smell it, and immediately throw him in the litter box. do i put the poop in the box so he understands? should we get him his own litterbox? maybe he doesn't want to share with our female cat?

we got him from the SPCA, so i am going to call them and ask them about it. we had been told he had had some loose stools, and to let them know if it continued. i guess a vet visit is in order. just wondering what i should do in the meantime so it doesn't become a behavioural habit. i've never had a cat do this before.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our kittens are about ten months old and though they were great for the majority of that time, in the last month (since we went away on vacation for a month and at the same time switched to an automatic litter box and a new type of litter, sigh...silly us), they have been pooping in various differents places in the garage, but rarely in their litter box. We have gone through two spray bottles of Nature's Miracle, I have cleaned, scrubbed, mopped, and DH has been religious about making sure the automatic litter is working and clean.

Well, then we read this manual:

http://www.preciouscat.com/

We didn't do everything they told us to do, we just did one thing and so far, it has worked AMAZINGLY!!!

First, we cleaned the areas and soaked them with Nature's Miracle. Then we placed dishes of cat food in every location that they had pooped or peed before. They have been eating the food and they haven't gone to the bathroom anywhere besides their litter box!!

Yay! I think it worked!

Could you try that with your kitten? Let me know if it works.

User Tag List