My puppy is throwing up :( UPDATE Molly died. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Molly died this morning. My husband was with her. It was very peaceful. We are so unbelievably sad. We only got to have her for a week.

Thanks so much to all of you.

G

We got a sweet 10 week old Beagle pup at the feedstore on Saturday. She was happy and had a little chubby belly. She has eaten maybe a cup of food since she has been here. We were feeding her what they were feeding her at the feed store. I have since realized it is cheap-o crap and I will be getting her somthing better.

BUT the problem is that last night she started throwing up. She threw up 3 times last night and has thrown up once today. She has also had diarrea today. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do for her? SHe drank some water and is still peeing a little. The last time she puked it was just clear. She is totally lethargic and is just lying around.

I heard from a vet to just feed her white rice and hamburger for a few days. Is that a good idea? I really have no idea how to take care of a sick pup.

She has been wormed and had a Parvo shot.

TIA!

G
#2 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Hm. I would be worried. Any chance she could have gotten into something at the feed store. One of our dogs ate some snail poison in the garden and almost died. If she is doing badly I would be too worried and take her in to have her evaluated.
#3 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 PM

For a pup that young, I'd take her to the vet. I had a puppy with parvo-like symptoms that turned out to be a generic intestinal infection. However, because of his age, his immune system wasn't the greatest, and he died. In retrospect, I took him to the vet but should have left him there hooked up to the IV until he was better, but we thought he'd be okay since it was just an intestinal bug. It's like a baby--she's so small that it doesn't take long to go into shock from severe dehydration.

I'm sorry your pup is sick.

Mom to Liz (14) and Dillon (3) and Mitchell FINALLY born 7/11/10!
#4 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Here is another thought. We have been sick with a bug with similar symptoms to what she is having. Is it possible that she just has the same bug that we do?

She has an appointment at the vet at 2:15.

Thank you for your fast replies!

G
#5 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 04:42 PM

I agree--vet. Puppies are so resilient and so active that anythign that makes them act lethargic or skip meals is an automatic vet visit for me. Before they're 3-4 months old I'll make an appointment if they even skip one meal.
#6 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 05:54 PM

please go to the vet! Tyson contracted parvo after having 2 puppy shots! I would be very worried if a 10 wk old would start vomiting since they have only received at most 2 shots by then. let us know what the vet says.

(hoping its not parvo!)

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#7 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Dh took Molly to the vet. They have been there for about 30 minutes and I haven't heard anything yet.

I'll post when I find out.

G
#8 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

My puppy has Parvo. She isn't dehydrated as of yet. He gave us an antibiotic and an anti-nasea.
Please tell me what I can do to help this baby stay alive.

G
#9 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 07:43 PM

IV fluids.

We had to take our dog to and from to save money. I wished I would have asked if they would teach me how and just paid for the stuff. But then again having them on a watchful eye was helpful. This dog was vacinated for parvo and got it.

He is still living fine and dandy 5 years later. He does have some special feeding needs. He is prone to get diahrea and is allergic to at least eggs. We had to move him off of puppy chow afterwards, he refuse to eat it.
#10 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 PM

oh man! i was hoping it wasnt parvo. Tyson had it when he was 12 weeks old. He was put on antiobiotics and reglan (antivomiting med) and we were told to give him pedialyte to keep him hydatrated. 2 days after his dx we had to take him in to be hospitalized. he made it though and is a very strong dog right now.

go out and buy unflavored or orange flavored pedialyte and a baby syringe (like to give meds to a baby). you can give it to her in her water bowl if she is still willing to drink but you will have to give it to her yourself if she's not to prevent dehydration. you can try 1 ounce at a time but if she starts to vomit that, give no more than 1 teaspoon every 30 minutes. if that is not staying down, ask if they can give you sub-Q fluids (if you cant afford hospitalization) you can try giving her chicken baby food too. there is an herbal remedy that u can buy called Parvaid and they have a help guide for home treatment. i think they also have a number u can call for help from one of their staff. it's worth a try.

parvo cuases really foul, bloody diarhea so be ready for that too. honestly, if you can afford it, have them hospitalize her so that she will have a better chance of making it. pay close attention to her hydration, if you pull up the skin between her shoulder blades it should fall back into place quickly. if it stays up she is dehydrated. oh i forgot, u can try rubbing honey on her gums, our vet recommended that in order to get some sugar into the bloodstream.

good luck, parvo can be very stressful since it requires round the clock attention but hopefully u caught it time and Molly will recover to be a healthy, beautiful beagle. for you and Molly.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#11 of 47 Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 PM

here is link for the parvaid website
Parvaid

they have a free booklet on parvo home care that u may want to check out if u have time. i wish i had found it when tyson was sick.

#12 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Molly is doing great! She is staying hydrated and even getting up and playing every now and then!

Thank you all for your posts. I am not sure I would have taken her in had you not all convinced me!

Thank you all for helping us save our sweet puppy!

G
#13 of 47 Old 04-19-2006, 08:33 PM

Oh I'm so glad to hear it...parvo is so scary! Thanks for the update!

#14 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So did she get parvo from the Vax?? Or is it possible the other pups/animals at the feedstore also have it??
#15 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 PM

i'm glad she's on the mend

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#16 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 08:08 PM

Hows the pup doing today?

#17 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM

I'm sorry to hear that it is indeed parvo. When i read the title my heart sank for you, because I too was thinking it was parvo. I got two basset hound puppies through a really bad case or parvo. The vet said it was pretty much hopeless and it was cost alot to hospitalize them. At the time my dh was very low ranking in the army and we couldnt afford it. So we got the medicine from the doc and i had to push it down their throats. Every hour i had to force pedialyte down there throats. It was more exausting them having a newborn. Constant vomiting and diarrea. They weren't allowed any solids and they didnt want any anyway. It was a miracle they survived. THey look like they were dying. At one time our girl basset looked like she stopped breathing..but i startled her and she sat up. The both made it in the end and it was more than worth all the effort. The first few days i had to give them only chicken & rice homemade. Then i slowly mixed it with their puppy food.

Many blessings to your lil pup and you for energy to get through this. I will be praying for your pup and you!
#18 of 47 Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHMinHawaii
I'm sorry to hear that it is indeed parvo. When i read the title my heart sank for you, because I too was thinking it was parvo. I got two basset hound puppies through a really bad case or parvo. The vet said it was pretty much hopeless and it was cost alot to hospitalize them. At the time my dh was very low ranking in the army and we couldnt afford it. So we got the medicine from the doc and i had to push it down their throats. Every hour i had to force pedialyte down there throats. It was more exausting them having a newborn. Constant vomiting and diarrea. They weren't allowed any solids and they didnt want any anyway. It was a miracle they survived. THey look like they were dying. At one time our girl basset looked like she stopped breathing..but i startled her and she sat up. The both made it in the end and it was more than worth all the effort. The first few days i had to give them only chicken & rice homemade. Then i slowly mixed it with their puppy food.

Many blessings to your lil pup and you for energy to get through this. I will be praying for your pup and you!
Oh man! Your story broke my heart! I remember Tyson being that sick... we were able to take him in though, Thank God. I"m glad ur bassets survived.

#19 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 PM

~~~~~~~~~~healing vibes for puppers~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#20 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Little Molly died this morning.

We did all we could. We forced liquid every 15 minutes around the clock.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support.

We are going to bury her in the backyard and plant a tree.

G
#21 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I saw you question. It looks as if she came to the feedstore already sick. There she was wormed and vaxed for Parvo, which made it worse.

I need suggestions for helping my 6 yo deal with this.

g
#22 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 07:33 PM

i am so sorry.

#23 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 PM

I am so sorry! It is very hard to pull pups thru parvo. When they are so small, they have little resources in reserve so a tough illness like parvo can take them fast. You did what you could!

My dd is almost 4 and we just lost our dog to cancer. She was almost 10 and was a part of our life since dd was born. Our dd really took it well but at her age, I don't think they quite get the permanance of death. My dd didn't have the emotional reaction I thought she might. She was very matter of fact about it all with no saddness apparent at the time. She was sad the next day and talked of not liking it when dogs she loved die.

I think it helped that dh and I explained that her body would return back to the earth and nourish the plants. We too buried her in the back yard and have plans for a memorial tree. I think explaining that helps her to see how we live on. We also talked about how people and animals live on in our hearts through our memories.

Maybe when the tenderness of this loss has passed a little, you can consider getting another puppy. One of the same breed may be what your dd wants or she may want something totally different so it doesn't remind her about the loss of your little Molly.

Again, I am so sorry for you all.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#24 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 PM

I am sorry. Poor little soul.
#25 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 09:58 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear about your pup. My thoughts are with you, I know even after a week it's hard to lose a puppy--we had ours for about 10 days and it was very difficult.

My DD was about 5 when we lost our puppy, and it just took a lot of repetition of "sometimes living things get very sick, and when they die they don't hurt anymore". Lots of "well, will you get sick and die?" questions from her, but she seemed to deal with it in her own time.

#26 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I'm so sorry.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#27 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about Molly, I was rooting for her.

for you and your family
#28 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry about your puppy.
#29 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 11:07 PM

am so sorry for the loss of your pup.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#30 of 47 Old 04-21-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your kind words.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page