Sorry mods, but my vet is closed and I need a quick response. Can you leave this here for a little while?
Okay, so we just discovered (at 4 pm on a Saturday afternoon
: ) that my kitten has tapeworms. I've been a cat owner a long time, so I know what they look like and I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. So I need to get him to the vet and get him dewormed on Monday.
In the meantime, some questions:
1) He doesn't normally share a litterbox with my other cat, but they have been checking out each other's territory lately. Can he pass it to my other cat? Should I treat the cat as if he has it?
2) Can he pass this to my kids? How do I avoid that happening?
3) Does it make any sense to keep him confined/away from the other cat and kids for now?
4) Do I need to wash all his bedding and anything he's been in close contact with now or do I wait until after he's been dewormed (will he just reinfect it before Monday?)
5) They get this from fleas somehow right? I knew he had some when we got him, but he was too small/young for Advantage in my vet's opinion, so he wanted to wait until the kitten was older. So if I treat them with Advantage should that break the cycle?