Quick, my kitten has worms, what do I do until Monday? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry mods, but my vet is closed and I need a quick response. Can you leave this here for a little while?

Okay, so we just discovered (at 4 pm on a Saturday afternoon: ) that my kitten has tapeworms. I've been a cat owner a long time, so I know what they look like and I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. So I need to get him to the vet and get him dewormed on Monday.

In the meantime, some questions:
1) He doesn't normally share a litterbox with my other cat, but they have been checking out each other's territory lately. Can he pass it to my other cat? Should I treat the cat as if he has it?

2) Can he pass this to my kids? How do I avoid that happening?

3) Does it make any sense to keep him confined/away from the other cat and kids for now?

4) Do I need to wash all his bedding and anything he's been in close contact with now or do I wait until after he's been dewormed (will he just reinfect it before Monday?)

5) They get this from fleas somehow right? I knew he had some when we got him, but he was too small/young for Advantage in my vet's opinion, so he wanted to wait until the kitten was older. So if I treat them with Advantage should that break the cycle?
#2 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 09:19 PM

They get them from eating the eggs of fleas so as long as your other cats don't have fleas they should be safe from worms. Should be no danger to your kids either. DH and I adopted two cats, both flea free and given meds for worms just incase. One of them still ended up having tapeworms. Our vet gave us one pill, said not to worry, and we had no other problems.
#3 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 10:29 PM

I moved your post to the Pets forum. In the future, if you have a post that you want to draw quick attention to, please post it in the proper forum, then go to TAO and make another post asking others to please respond to it and include a link to the post. Make sense?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Tapeworms are carried by fleas. They are an intermediate host. The animal has to ingest a flea, either on it's own body or from hunting and killing/eating an animal that has fleas.

Tapeworms are the mildest parasite for a dog or cat to have. The treatment is usually one dose of an oral tablet based on the animal's weight. They can't be transmitted to people and you don't have to do any sort of unusual clean up.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 5 Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM

what Karen said, no big deal, it probably won't hurt to treat your older cat as you don't know that he hasn't groomed or a flea hasn't swapped bodies from the kitten.
Once you treat the fleas and the tape worm there's nothing else to do. Tape worm and healthy mammels can co-exist for a long time without causing problems so I totally wouldn't worry.
The standard treatment for intestinal worms does not kill tape worms btw, it's a totally different treatment--just like tape worm meds won't kill round worms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page