Little bald spot on dog's butt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed yesterday that the dog has a small bald spot near his tail. As he's been scratching there a lot, it is clearly quite itchy. Any ideas what might be causing this? Parasites? Skin problem? I once had an older dog that this happened to and it turned out to be a grass allergy (according to the vet). I don't think that's the case here. And I can't figure out if the hair fell out and now he's itchy, or if all his scratching caused the hair to fall out. The bald spot is about the size of a nickel. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 PM

might be a hot spot. Is there any oozing or crustyness? Clip the area around it, keep it dry and clean for now.
#3 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

No oozing or crustiness, just a little redness when he's been scratching (but not inflamed or anything like like), and nothing out of the ordinary visible on the skin (no scabbing, etc).

#4 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 PM

sounds as though it may be a little hot spot - is your dog scratching the area compulsively? (sometimes they can get fixated on a spot)

One of our girls gets them in the summer, I think as an allergic response, and we just keep it clean and dry, and then dust it lightly with Gold Bond Powder...seems to soothe and calm the redness a bit.
#5 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

He's scratching a lot there now, but I'm not sure whether that's a cause or effect. DH suggested putting iodine on it. Any ideas about that?

#6 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 03:35 PM

One of my dogs looses quite a bit of fur this time of year, most of it around his hind end. He can look pretty patchy for a couple of weeks. Have you noticed any evidence of fleas?
#7 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Yes, we do have a small flea problem that we're attempting to battle (but we don't want to use a lot of chemicals, esp. because of dd). So it could be related to that.

#8 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 04:37 PM

If fleas are very bad, get some topical drops - advantage or something similar - works very fast and unless your yard/house is full of fleas as well, you likely wont need to reapply for awhile. I use it periodically with my dog, esp. at the beginning of "fleas season", id much rather have that little bit of pesticide use than an outbreak of fleas and having my landlord spray nasty stuff everywhere.

If its a hotspot - use a bit of Listerine. Works great for us.
#9 of 15 Old 05-16-2006, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Listerine? Really? Couldn't hurt to try, I guess. Thanks

#10 of 15 Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 PM

My dog has had a bald spot on her back by her tail since she was a puppy. We worried about it for a while, but the vet said not to worry, and it would fill in. It never has, but she never scratches it more than usual. Maybe he's just bald there?

Welcoming our twins :: born February 21, 2009 at 33 weeks! :
C-section due to pre-eclampsia and HELLP:
#11 of 15 Old 05-18-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

No, the bald spot is new (just appeared in the last few days). Now he's been scratching like crazy. We did a flea dip, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I'm going to try some drops. But the odd thing is, I don't really SEE fleas at the moment (maybe one or two, but not tons). I wonder if a tick could have gotten under his skin?

#12 of 15 Old 05-18-2006, 01:14 PM

All it takes is one flea bite to make a hot spot.

I would seriously consider skipping all the baths or dips or whatever and just putting Frontline on him. Frontline is actually gentler and less poisonous that almost any of the over-the-counter medications, and it really works.
#13 of 15 Old 05-18-2006, 07:21 PM

ok, is this spot dry and almost perfectly round??? Anyone in the family itching too?
#14 of 15 Old 05-18-2006, 10:00 PM

I tried to post earlier and kept getting "page cannot be displayed."

Anyways, a lot of dogs itch because thier food has a lot of corn and poor quality ingredients in it. Dogs express food allergies through their skin by itching. I've learned all of this because I have a dog that is allergic to corn in his food, and corn pollen (and we live in the Midwest, poor dog!).
Read your food bag. If you see the word "corn" change food. "Expensive" foods don't cost any more than cheap grocery foods becaues you don't have to feed as much of it, because it's more nutritous (My 100lb dog only eats 4 cups of food a day, he'd need at least twice that, on food that costs half what I'm feeding now....do the math! LOL!). My rule of thumb is if the brand isn't advertised on TV, it's got a chance at being good food. I have yet to see a brand of food advertised on TV that I would feed my pets.
Just go to a pet store (grocery stores don't carry any good food) and start reading bags.

Amber
#15 of 15 Old 05-19-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Quote:
ok, is this spot dry and almost perfectly round??? Anyone in the family itching too?
No, it's not perfectly round and no one else is currently unusually itching It is dry, though.

Quote:
Anyways, a lot of dogs itch because thier food has a lot of corn and poor quality ingredients in it
I just checked his food (Purina One). It does contain whole grain corn and corn gluten meal. Could that be it? Hmmm....I'll check some other brands at the store then.

Quote:
just putting Frontline on him.
I'll give that a try. Poor little guy--he seems so itchy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page