Dog at chicken bone - how concerned do I need to be? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a wonderful almost 4 year old "pound puppy" who has always had a nasty habit of stealing food from the table, counters, fresh baked cookies from the oven (from the top of the oven), you get the picture.

Today dd had finished eating (dh and I were still finishing) - dd had a chicken drumstick on her plate leftover and ran to her room to play. Shortly thereafter we hear her crying in pain (dropped a toy on her toe) but she is okay. I was in the bathroom cleaning her up and taking a look and naturally dh also came running DUH! then we hear his paws hit the floor (he is almost the size of an Irish Wolfhound) from being on top the chair to access the table. He ate the WHOLE drumstick.:

By the time we ran out to the kitchen, crunch crunch it was GONE.:

Now what?!

:energ y
#2 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM

He's probably OK. Once a cooked bone is swallowed safely (that's the first danger) the problem is that as it is digested it turns into a sort of cement (forms an extremely dry, powdery poop). A dog of his size is probably OK; watch for vomiting or difficulty pooping over the next day or two.
#3 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 PM

one chicken bone...your doggy will probably be okay. I think the whole chicken bone warning is for people who used to feed their dogs chicken bones all the time and the vets discovered all the problems. Still not a good idea to feed dogs chicken bones though. My mom always tries to feed our dog chicken bones and pork chop bones, I always tell her, "No!!!!" She thinks I'm being crazy and mean to our dog.

We deep fried a turkey a few years ago for New Years Eve. I had the carcass on the counter and was going to pick off the rest of the meat. We had company over and we were doing fireworks outside, well our dog was in the house while we were all outside and ate the whole carcass!! I thought for sure she'd be sick or hurt internally from it. Nope, she was just fine.

Our dog has also sneaked and devoured whole or partial CHOCOLATE cakes and has been totally fine. Chocolate is supposed to be super bad for dogs. I now make sure chocolate cakes are always up because she just LOVES them. Yesterday at my dd's birthday she was sitting watching us eat cake and licking her lips. "mmmm chocolate!"
#4 of 12 Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Like Joanna said, he's probably fine, with chicken bones they become very brittle when cooked, so getting the past the throat is the hardest part, I assume he's not coughing or gagging right?
I always like to give them a stool bulking fibre like pumpkin to make it easier to pass something that may be sharp, for a dog his size you can give him a whole can of pumpkin--he'll poop a fair bit but at least the bones will be coated.
The warnings have nothing really to do with people who give them all the time, unfortunately it only takes one bone going down the wrong way to cause serious problems and it really doesn't make too much difference how often you give bones. Raw bones are safe, but when cooked they become brittle and crack.
#5 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Wow I guess I am not the only one who has had this problem!
Thanks for the info and reassurance.

I saw the replies early this a.m. and happened to have some pumpkin on hand, wow, NO problem getting that down he absolutely LOVED it!

He seems to be acting normally, he ate his pumpkin and food early this a.m. (he is fed twice daily). We will keep our fingers crossed. He had absolutely no problem getting the drumstick down though let me tell ya! 'specially when he saw us coming!

momof3sweeties:A WHOLE turkey carcass???? Wow sounds like something my dog would do. Before we knew chocolate was bad for dogs I remember being a kid and sharing some with the family dog and she did live to a ripe old age, she also ate a chicken bone or two by stealing if I remember correctly bit my dad pretty bad while he was trying to get it from her too.

shannon and thekimballs: Thank you for all your knowledgeable info you guys share on this board it IS very much appreciated.

His last caper was a year ago dd and I made 2 dozen sugar/cut out cookies they cooled, we spent the time frosting them in different colors for Easter complete with sprinkles. I cleaned up the mess and left them high on top of the oven to have the frosting set, went to the back of the house, heard a clang and BAM! One dozen cookies GONE!!!! Guess he has a sweet tooth too!
It would not be such a problem if not for his size but we do love him!

#6 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 AM

There are some ways to train a dog to stop taking things off countertops, let me know if you want some of the tricks. Most of them are cause and effect, not owner corrections, owner corrections only work if the dog steals in front of you--and most dogs are too smart to do their theivery in front of the owners.
#7 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 PM
EVC

I have a related question: is it just chicken bones that are dangerous, or all (cooked) bones?

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#8 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
There are some ways to train a dog to stop taking things off countertops, let me know if you want some of the tricks. Most of them are cause and effect, not owner corrections, owner corrections only work if the dog steals in front of you--and most dogs are too smart to do their theivery in front of the owners.
I am interested in tricks to keep theiving dogs at bay. Our boxer is a serious counter surfer, and like you said he doesnt do it in front of us, only when he thinks he can get away with it.

The worst mess when he knocked a 2 liter of diet coke off the counter and it exploded all over the kitchen. He also stole a whole raw drumstick once while I was in the bathroom. i came out and he was hiding behind the couch "protecting" it

Kim, mama to Anna Blair 11/23/07
#9 of 12 Old 06-02-2006, 05:38 PM

Ok, now, you just have to promise not to laugh at your dog when he sets off the following booby traps. I had a client once tell me I needed to write a book called "How to torture your dog" None of them are torturous but they can be damn funny to see the little theif's face when his prize bites back

Method 1) Save up at least 6 pop cans, preferably 8-10 if your dog is large. String them all together with about 3-6 inches between cans. Once you have your cans threaded together you will tie them off to another sting that is 6" long. The final string will then be attached to some forbidden food item (or any other thing your dog steals--my aunt used this because her lab ate 4 pairs of glasses) You will then leave the temptation up on the edge of the counter with the cans stacked nicely behind them. When Fido steals his forbidden goody the cans then come falling down on his head-hopefully startling the heck out of him. You then come running in the room saying "What are you doing!!!" Now I suggest using empty pop cans, but if you're really mad at him, go ahead and use full

Method #2) Get a mouse trap and loosen the tension on it (we don't want broken toes) Bait the mouse trap with something irresistable, hopefully the trap will pop and bop him on the nose at the exact right moment to be meaningful to him.

Method #3) This one doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot. Take some toast, butter it then sprinkle a good layer of cayanne pepper on it, leave out for Fido...now I had a dog who LOVED this fancy treat, so forwarned is forarmed.
#10 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! I have "booby trapped" the counters using a few strategically placed cookie sheets (when knocked the make a clatter). I guess I have been lax about it. Our big guy is also on meds for seizures and that has made him, I think, 10 x more hungry then ever and he is scamming for food more often.

So far so good, I clean the yard everyday and uh, "things" seem to be okay!

#11 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 03:14 PM

phenobarb and potasium bromide will put an appetite out of control. What do you feed him? Have you considered mixing him up a veggie mash that he can have with his dinner--few calories but good quality fibre to fill him up. He could have a cup or 2 of shredded veggies with his normal ration to prevent him from getting fat.
#12 of 12 Old 06-03-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC
I have a related question: is it just chicken bones that are dangerous, or all (cooked) bones?
All cooked bones are extremely brittle and can shatter and become a choking hazard or get impacted during the digestion or elimination process. You should never give a cooked bone to an animal.

Most conventional vets will tell you that you shouldn't ever give any bone to your animal, but I feed my animals a BARF diet, and they get raw meat and bones and never have problems with it. I have a holistic vet and she feeds raw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page