"Magical" appearance of snails in fish tank - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have had this 10 gallon tank for at least 1.5 years, and during that time we have had a few fish come and go, but we have not bought any new fish in about 4-5 months. I clean the tank and do a 50% water change as needed according to the pH and ammonia sticks. I use treated tap water. We have used the same bottle of water treatment for about a year. The only new thing is I ran out of Cycle and bought a new bottle two weeks ago and used it with the last water change.

So today I noticed 3 tiny baby water snails. Where did they come from?! The Cycle? Or is it magic?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Get any new plants (fake or real) or other decor? Snail eggs can hitchhike in on lots of things. I really doubt it was your Cycle!
Though, speaking of, you really dont need to use Cycle. You should be just fine with a dechlorinater....
#3 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Mine came in on a plant.... then it mated with itself and all of the sudden a couple of weeks later we had snail crazyness! We couldnt keep up, removing them by hand. We bought a clown loach and he ate all of them in a couple of days. Id much rather think that yours are magical.... what do they look like?

:
#4 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I have not put any new plants or rocks or anything into the tank since it was set up. Not even a new net or other equipment. Weird, huh? The snails are tiny tiny. Two have shells and one is about 1/2 as big as that and I can hardly see it but it moves. It looks like a microscopic slug. I hope we don't get a snail infestation. Do you think the eggs could have been there in the rocks all this time and just now hatched?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 PM

I long ago decided that aquarium snails ARE magical!

They seem to be able to disapear and reapear at will.

I had a black mystery snail that I swear came back from the dead. I found his empty shell floating along, and then the next day he (she? it?) was crawling along the glass just like normal.

Aquatic Snails are higher lifeforms.

There is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen~
#6 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa

Aquatic Snails are higher lifeforms.
You should put that in your sig.

#7 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 PM

LOL! Weird.....I guess its possible that they just now hatched, but that would be a long time to wait.If you got your newest fish about 4 months ago, some eggs could have come in with that.... Weird though!
What kinds of fish do you have? You may have something taht will eat them. If not, you can: drop a piece of lettuce or other veggie in the tank (weighted down), leave it with the lights off overnight, in the am remove the now snail covered veggie and destroy it. You really dont want to release snails to the wild anywhere, they are major pests. Or you could find someone who needs snails for some reason and donate them; maybe get a snail predator fish if your tank can support it; or keep them, being careful not to overfeed and keeping up with water changes and they will lessen in number but some will still be there. They can be kind of neat!
#8 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 PM

I was kind of diappointed that our loach ate ALL of the snails... we were rooting for the few that were left! If we shone a bright flashlight on them thier shells looked amazing!

:
#9 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Mama
I was kind of diappointed that our loach ate ALL of the snails... we were rooting for the few that were left! If we shone a bright flashlight on them thier shells looked amazing!
Ahah! We had a black molly that just died about a week ago, maybe 1.5 weeks. It liked to pick at the plants and rocks and fish toys. Maybe it was eating all the snails and now that it's gone they are becoming more brave. Although it's weird that none of us would have noticed them before now. My 5yo spends a lot of time gazing into the tank and today she is the one who found the snails. We have four fish left, small tropical variety. Two are, I think, rainbow neons or something, the other two are scissortail see-through types. All are about 1/2 3/4 inch long. One of the rainbows is going to die soon. It has some tumors on its tail and it's not looking real good.

Dd wants to either get goldfish or convert the aquarium to a lizard cage. We are not going to get any more tropical fish and will just let these live out their natural lives until we decide what to do next.

#10 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 PM

Well, no goldfish in with the tropicals, they need different temperatures and will get to big for a 10 gallon anyway.
I bet your mollie was eating the snails! I know mine are very inquisitive hungry little fish.
#11 of 19 Old 07-24-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdlynsMom
Well, no goldfish in with the tropicals, they need different temperatures and will get to big for a 10 gallon anyway.
I bet your mollie was eating the snails! I know mine are very inquisitive hungry little fish.
That's why we are waiting until the little ones die before we decide what to do next. So do you think that even a small couple of golfish would get too big? Dd wants one with bubble eyes so bad.

#12 of 19 Old 07-26-2006, 02:40 AM

I am of the minority, I liked the snails. They are very beneficial, the eat the leftover food, stir up the gravel, and are great for algae. I tried to introduce about 30 into my jack dempsey's tank and they were gone in one night. He ate every last one. It was a little sad, actually, now I have to scrape the algae myself . After that, I kept snails in another tank and fed them and let them breed to their heart's content, then fed them to the Jack Dempsey.

If anyone is wondering, there are three different kinds of "pop up and infest your tank overnight" snails. Pond snails are very pretty, kinda pinkish sometimes, they have football shaped shells and spots, never had luck getting them to "infest" my tanks. I think their shells are too soft and the fish can eat them easily. Malaysian trumpet snails stay in the gravel, and really only come out at night. They have hard shells that look like ice cream cones, they are harder for fish to eat, so they are usually left alone. Ramshorn snails have a shell that is shaped like a ram's horn, hence the name. They breed quickly and are everywhere. They're not as pretty as the other two, but they're great little snails, very good cleaner-uppers.

dawn

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#13 of 19 Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 AM

Goldfish need at least 15 gallons per fish, preferably more like 25 gallons, for a couple of reasons:

All species of goldies will reach lengths of 8-10", the ones sold as "feeder fish" are usually comets and can get closer to 2 feet long and should be kept in ponds. If kept in a tank thats too small, they will stunt, meaning that their bodies stop growing but their internal organs do not, leading to a painful and early death. Bubble eyed, orandas, lionheads and the other strange looking ones are fairly delicate and prone to infection/disease.

Goldies are also very messy fish, poop-wise, so their tanks need good filtration and regular maintenance.

They are beautiful fish, Ive seen some BIG goldies that were several years old!
#14 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 05:42 PM

so, I want to revive this thread, cause we have this issue too, all of a sudden! Our last new fish to the tank was at least 5 months ago.

So, I would love to "cure" this by getting a fish or two that eats them normally. Which are the best to do it? We have a freshwater tank.

TIA!!!!
#15 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 06:48 PM

I haven't read all the responses but loaches, clown loaches, eat snails.
Or you can put in a green bean, tied to a string, and its covered in snails pull it out.

I have a bunch of ramshorn snails but I like them.
#16 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Well as long as they aren't Malasyan Trumpet Shells go to thepufferforum.com or post on freecycle to any puffer owners out there and give them away.

I sure could use more pond snails for my little guy!!!
#17 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 11:26 PM

I'll check it out!
#18 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 AM

Well, from the looks of them (ice cream cones), they are the Malaysian Trumpet Shell ones. Does anyone know what kind of fish (if any)will eat them?

Otherwise, how can I rid my tank of these? I think I would have to throw away all of the rocks, because there are literally a couple of hundred tiny ones. We have a 29 gallon tank. I can't imagine killing them though - what do you do to kill them????????

What do you think we should do?
#19 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned

The ice cream cone shaped snails can't be fed to Puffers because the shells are too hard, you can give them to Loaches though, Loaches dont crunch, they suck.

But if they look like either a ramshorn or another type (standard pond snail) Then you're good to give them to puffer owners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page