friends dog bit neighbors dog - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A gf was visiting last evening with her dog. We were sitting in the fenced in back yard. I have upstairs neighbors who have a little ancient 8lb yorkie. The neighbor opened her door to let her dog out and I turned to gf and let her know the small dog was on his way down. She went over to her dog.....I thought she would then 'have control' over her dog. I saw her leaning in close and THEN the screaming of little Bandit! I ran over and grabbed the little guy, getting bit in the process. He was bleeding and scared and screaming. The owner, by that time, was downstairs to take Bandit away to the emergency vet. I gave them a minute, then went upstairs to check on the little guy. They were bringing him to the E-vet, only some small puncture wounds.

My HUGE problem with this whole thing is..... when I walked back into the back yard my gf was PATTING HER DOG!!!!!!! Like it was an upsetting situation for her dog! I almost beat them both. A bit of backround..... GF is always complaining about how aggressive her dog is, how much she barks aggressively, how she wishes she could take her places, etc.. She just recently started bringing her dog here after much CLOSE supervision between her dog and my pekingese.

I tried to give her a crash course in pack order, but I think she thinks its cruel. I think that its the only way to save her dogs life. She let me know that Bandit was the second dog that her dog has sent to the hospital this summer. If any officials catch on her dog will be in trouble! She also let me know that she is scared to take her dog to training classes because her dog will attack the other dogs.

I think this is a vent more than anything. I did urge her to come here and get some pointers, hope we see her soon.

btw, her dog is a lab/chow mix

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#2 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 11:55 AM

Good grief. I am so sorry--it makes your heart absolutely stop, doesn't it?

Vent away. You've said all the correct things; this dog is indeed heading for major, major trouble and it's almost certainly your friend's fault. If you can find a good behaviorist in your area, you can suggest that she take him there, but any good behaviorist is going to suggest responses that she'll probably think are cruel (as though what her dog is doing isn't cruel to every living creature within striking distance).

Keep working on her, but if you can't convince her just don't let her do it again. She's going to wreck this dog, and when he's euthanized she'll blame that individual dog and get another puppy and do the same thing. Keep this in mind, and try to scare her away from owning dogs, period, but if she insists just make sure she doesn't ever own another large or aggressive breed (Chows are notoriously difficult to train).

I am so glad the little Yorkie is OK.
#3 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 02:35 PM

How old is this dog?? My guess, she needs to do one of 2 things, first she needs to completely and totally change her way of thinking--this dog needs to know he will not live through another needless attack like this and if that means pinning him against a wall the next time he even locks eyes on another dog, that's what it means. She needs to counter his aggresion long before it becomes dangerous-by then, his adreniline is going strong and she could smack him on the head with a 2x4 and he's not going to care, so she needs to make his aggresion traumatic to him at the VERY start of it--not at the end. If she can't do this (and she needs professional help to do this) then she needs to either euthanize this dog or rehome him with someone who REALLY knows what they're doing.
#4 of 5 Old 08-05-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

well, I think she may have heard a bit of what I have said to her. She is going to go to private lessons (she can only afford a few) and then get her in to regular obedience training.

I asked her today if my dog seemed scared of me. She admitted that he is a well behaved dog who loves his person. I let her know that it is because he knows his place in our home. He has absolutely no confusion about what his job is. I think it made sense to her.

Thanks ladies for your responses.

As for Bandit, he is well, and we just shared our fresh fish dinner with him, so he is very happy.

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2006, 01:00 AM

I'm glad Bandit is doing ok.
I remember years ago at a family gathering, I had Timber there, my aunt had her cocker spaniel Amber there. Amber had just completed the second level of her obedience. While eating the dogs were put on down stays, Amber got up, Roxy got up, followed her, brought her back, corrected her and sat back down. My other aunt said "Oh, I could NEVER do that to Daisy, it just seems MEAN!!" I shook my head and said "And where is Daisy right now?" She says "In the basement", I looked at our 2 happy dogs with their family and said "I think these guys would think it was mean to stuff them in the basement"

Oddly, just last week, Roxy was telling me how my other aunts new dog is nasty and can't be taken out in public and this aunt said something similar when Roxy corrected her new cocker who was of course out in public with Roxy. Some people never learn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page