What kind of dog do you have? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 107 Old 08-12-2006, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a German Shepherd puppy 5.5 months old and to cute!!! I luv him sooo much!!! My DH was so original in naming him Rex is his name
His such a cutie with my 14 mo he has never made an attempt to bite her or anything but I'm afraid that he'll get tired one day my dd loves him but she's not to delicate with him, she's a baby :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 107 Old 08-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Right now we have a 1.5yr old Basset Hound, Molly, I love her dearly and would never part with her but she is not the smartest dog, she was about a yr old when she was fully pottied trained, would I trade her for something "better" never in a million years, the DH on the other hand would, or so he says. We also have an almost 9mth old Great Dane, Boomer, he is a wonderful dog, likes everyone, good with kids, etc. he weighs over a 100pounds but he thinks he weighs 10pounds and will lay all over you. They also have this weird cat quality where they sit on the back of the couch and look out the window. Anyhoo if you wanna take a peek at them here is their pages..
Molly http://www.dogster.com/?113930
Boomer http://www.dogster.com/?259674
#33 of 107 Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

The dogs are so cute We're STILL looking. :

#34 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 02:21 PM

We have a black Lab (perhaps a mix--she was adopted from an all-breed rescue) and two Brittanys. They are all excellent with the kids (ages 3.5 and 16 months). We chose to adopt dogs that had reputations as good family dogs and did extensive obedience training before our daughter was born. Two dogs are tolerant to a point, at which time they ask to go to their room and the third lets the kids do as they please.
#35 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 PM

We have a wonderful Westie. A little stubborn at times, but what terrier isn't? But he's got a great tempermant, is wonderful with children, and is even buds with our cat. As much as I admire and drool after the bigger breeds, I think I'll always be a terrier girl. I'm very worried, though, because it seems that westies are ALL over the place (in advertisements, etc)....I'd hate for the breed to be damaged because people want "that cute little white dog". Ummm, that dog is all muscle, is very active, and has *lots* of energy. The only lap-westies I've encountered are 13-14yo!
#36 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Chow mix. I'm not sure what else he is

As a puppy

Now

Unassisted birthing, atheist, WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids 17, 11, 6, 3
#37 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 03:19 PM

I think chow/pit.
#38 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Akkimmie, why don't you list your requirements/wishes and we can try to recommend some breeds and mixes to look at.
#39 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting great iformation THANKS
As far as our needs- We have a 2yo, so must be kid friendly. We live in Alaska but maybe only for 3-5 years, I say this because it's cold here and we might end up in Arizona in 5 years. So I LOVE the Husky breeds but I'm sure they would miss the snow (which after 5 years in Alaska I will not miss the snow ) We have a great yard that is fenced in, we hike a lot and enjoy the water. Our house is very pet friendly and we all could have a small to large lap dog

Another very important need to me is that we want to help/rescue a dog. It has been my experience that a "rescue" dog has a "knowing" that you helped them out and are wonderful house doggies We have been at the shelter over the weekend and we were drawn to lab mixes but they are spoken for

Thanks you all for sharing- you have great love for your pups/dogs and they make me laugh:
#40 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6806065

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6806068

^^ I love the look of this dog.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6830186

All adults or young adults in Anchorage shelters--a tried and true adult will be MUCH better with your baby than a puppy.
#41 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, and Max looks JUST like the $2000.00 Goldiepoo I'm training right now!
#42 of 107 Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

We saw zoey yesterday- so cute!!!!! I was thought she was being adopted? Max (the second dog) is cute too, but we thought he might not be as active as we would like?
The friends of pets is a great link, I looked at them awhile ago but not recently, thanks for reminding me
Thanks for the pics, are you in Alaska?
#43 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 12:41 AM

No, we're in NH--I just typed in the Anchorage zip code to Petfinder.

If Max is there, and seemed too quiet for you, go grab him! OK, seriously, I don't want to tell anyone to get a dog they don't think will fit, but a dog who is calm in a shelter and who gets glowing reviews like that is a treasure. If he's not an oldster, with that breed combination he'll be perfectly able to keep up with you whatever you do, and he'll be able to turn it off and lie down in the house.
#44 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 10:30 AM

We have 2 dogs. A border collie/sheltie mix. She's getting older, so her tolerance level of 3 babies is waning, but she's great about going to her bed when she's had "enough". And the kids know they are not to bother her there. She's uber protective of our family, particularly the kids which I'm very thankful for. She tends to herd them around strange people and lets strangers know she's not above kicking their butt if they mess with us.

We also just recently took in a stray Basset Hound. This dog is the love of my life and I'm so thankful to have found her. She's just about 1 and was an ugly mess when we found her. She's looking much better now and is the sweetest thing. Let's the kids play all over her,they love it! Except for her penchant for chewing, she's pretty well behaved as well.

Jesse, wife to DH , mama to DD 13, DS 11, DS 8, DD 6, DS 3 & bean EDD 12/18/13
#45 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
We have a pug and german shorthaired pointer. Both of ours are very good with kids. I have to say one of the best dogs we ever had to adopted as an adult, He was about 6 years old and lived to age of 15 he was a pug also. So I wouldn't rule out adopting an adult dog.
#46 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 PM

We have two dogs, an American Eskimo (Buddy) that is 12 years old and a 9 month old St. Bernard (Tiny).

Buddy has been a really wonderful dog, so good with the kids and easy to care for. The only difficult aspect of his breed is that they LOVE to run so no matter how much excersize we get him he will still try to sneak out between our legs when we open the door and take off. Getting him back is quite the chore. (Well not so much anymore because he's getting pretty old but this was a big problem when he was younger.)

Tiny so far has been a great dog! He's wonderful with the kids and easy to train. He is such a big lovey bear too - always wants to cuddle. He does take a lot of grooming though (he's a long haired Saint) and there are the general issues that come from having a VERY big dog of course. And the drool turns some people off.

Great for nature studies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#47 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 02:10 PM

We have a golden retriever. He is about 4 years old now. We chose him mainly because Dh duck, geese, and pheasant hunts so he wanted a hunting dog. He does shed but we brush him alot. For me personally I don't see him as a house dog. Sure I take him for walks and in the winter he comes inside when its too cold. My parents used to raise springer spaniels for hunting also and I loved them. They could hunt and still cuddle up with you and were much more kid friendly. Plus not as big.
#48 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 PM

I have a foxhound...
http://www.joannabk.com/blog/spring05.jpg
He is just the best... he is so gentle with kids, except for the simple fact that he is BIG and has BIG paws and a BIG crazy tail. I love love love him though. He is sweet, gentle, smart, and cuddly but not too cuddly. He is sleeping under my bed right now...
#49 of 107 Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM

We have 3 English Bulldogs:
#50 of 107 Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels
I have a foxhound...
http://www.joannabk.com/blog/spring05.jpg
He is just the best... he is so gentle with kids, except for the simple fact that he is BIG and has BIG paws and a BIG crazy tail. I love love love him though. He is sweet, gentle, smart, and cuddly but not too cuddly. He is sleeping under my bed right now...
WOW!!! I just have to say, what a stunning dog! I think hounds look so...regal for some reason. Your pup is gorgeous.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#51 of 107 Old 08-16-2006, 07:51 AM

We have a full blood dalmation but no papers the breeder refused them b/c he was deaf and they wanted him back to destroy him he's the best dog we've ever had, joe is 4 years old he's inside most of the time. We also have lily we rescued from a dalmation agency she has some problems but loves to rome our back yard she's outside only... and about 5 years old
#52 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM

2 rescued Brittanies here. There are awesome with E, 15 monthes. Just like everydog some are betterwith kids than others. If you go this link, they are the ones closest to you but if you like others in differant states they are almost always willing to work with you, hell they shipped Dooley to Germany from TN for me!

http://americanbrittanyrescue.org/in...unc=view&sid=1
#53 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 07:33 PM

We have a GSD and I can't help but posting photos of him whenever I can! He is the furry love of my life! Good luck with your pup hunt - the perfect fit will come around

Here is my baby - he likes to

play in the snow
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/IMG_0329.jpg

go swimming
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6/000_1105.jpg

help with the gardening
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/000_0981.jpg

and he's a also a great sport when mom is feeling goofy
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...s/000_0991.jpg

\m/

#54 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM

One Australian Shepherd, Simon, almost 5 yrs old
One Italian Greyhound, Frank, almost 2 yrs old
I love my boys!!
#55 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM

We have a Bozoi (see link below). He is great with dd but would not, at all, be recommended for a small child.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#56 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kim!!! Where the heck have you been?? I was thinking about you and Zander recently
#57 of 107 Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 PM

We moved and I could not afford internet right away. We just got reconnected today. It's nice to know someone missed me!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#58 of 107 Old 08-18-2006, 04:52 AM

Boxers and a foster/rescue dog who is a pit/greyhound mix..

'Ms Thang'

11 yr old Boxer girl.

'Sir Goober'

3 yr old Boxer boy.

When dh finally sends me the pic of Miss Rose from his machine I will get dd to put it here too. (thanks dd for putting these up for non computer mom )
#59 of 107 Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 AM

A border collie that won't herd. She's a rescue. Not great around kids.

ETA: I posted a pic on my blog (see signature).

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#60 of 107 Old 08-18-2006, 12:22 PM

We have a Boxer (6 yo male) and a Great Dane (2 yo female). Here is a picture of them snuggling.

Boxers are supposed to be a very kid-friendly breed and we have found that to be true with ours (our baby is on the way, but with other kids he's been awesome). However, he is pretty "intense" emotionally; sometimes I think he's going to give himself ulcers with how much he cares about his "job" of protecting us!

Great Danes are also supposed to be kid-friendly, but there's that very kid-UNfriendly tail to worry about. It's about knee height on an adult and could knock you over unawares. If it catches a toddler in the face, it'll be over!

A Boxer would not fare well in Alaska, I'm afraid. We live in Nebraska and ours definitely despises the winter. He has a little coat to wear on walks, but he goes on pee and poo strikes when there's 2 feet of snow in the yard. Poor baby. We moved here from Southern California and he still hasn't gotten used to the shock!

Good luck with your search!

Oh, p.s. Our combined 200 pounds of dog go through about 35 pounds of dog food every 10 days. And we buy the expensive stuff for both of them, because Boxers have sensitive stomachs (read: rocket diarrhea) and ours always snitches from the Dane's bowl. So...figure that into your expenses! :

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page