What kind of dog do you have? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 08-18-2006, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Australian shepherd mix that the shelter told me was a Catahoula.

He's a horny neutered male that tries to put the moves on every female dog he meets. He loves the older kids, but could really live without the baby.

Playing dress up with DD: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...a/dcp_0666.jpg

Wallering in the grass with the other DD: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...a/100_0368.jpg

Playing "mama" to our kitten: http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...a/100_0552.jpg
#62 of 107 Old 08-20-2006, 05:45 PM

I have a male Silky Terrier named Joey.
Right now he's 8 months, his birthday is Dec.9th.
(which, as a side note, is 2 days after my birthday
& 7 days after Julie's birthday lol)

My mom has a 3 year old male Sheltie, Mickey.

~Becky

Wife, Mommy of 4, & Grandma to 1

#63 of 107 Old 08-20-2006, 05:53 PM

I have 2 cockapoo females...Moffie(silver) and Roxie(black/silver)
1 min. poodle Mr. Ted(black)
1 standard poodle...Coco(chocolate)
1 labradoodle....Pearl(golden)

I love them all but my favorite is.........Coco my standard poodle. She is so awesome. So elegant and well behaved. So fluffy and she looks like a big teddybear!!

(well..so do all my dogs except she is chocolate)

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#64 of 107 Old 08-20-2006, 05:56 PM

South African Boerboel
#65 of 107 Old 08-21-2006, 12:53 AM

yellow labs (3) a (?) and 7 kitties are the current (temporary) residents in our home.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#66 of 107 Old 08-21-2006, 12:55 PM

My dog is a siberian husky/fox mix. She is 10 and pretty mellow. She has her days when she gets rambuncious. She is good with my DS and will warn him when she has had enough. She has also learned to predict when I am going to have a seizure and she will let me know by whining at me or putting her front paws on my leg. She stays very close and follows me everywhere. She is also very lazy and would prefer to sleep all day.LOL

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#67 of 107 Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM

We have a 2 year old black lab named Luc. He is still pretty hyper and occasionally acts more like a puppy. He just had surgery yesterday as he swallowed a corn cob!: He will be fine but it's probably going to cost us $1,500 or so. It's definitely money we could have used somewhere else considering we have a 1 year old dd. Oh well, we are just glad he will be okay.
#68 of 107 Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenenlightened
My dog is a siberian husky/fox mix. She is 10 and pretty mellow. She has her days when she gets rambuncious. She is good with my DS and will warn him when she has had enough. She has also learned to predict when I am going to have a seizure and she will let me know by whining at me or putting her front paws on my leg. She stays very close and follows me everywhere. She is also very lazy and would prefer to sleep all day.LOL
Fox and dogs can't breed sucessfully. There has never been a hybrid of the 2 species that could be proved by DNA. Fox have 48 chromosones, dogs have 78. While chromosone numbers do not conclusively dictate whether a species can mix with another species, in a case where the differences are as vast as fox vs canine, even if at some point a viable embryo were to form, it would most certainly be sterile.
More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canid_hybrid
"(Note: It may be that foxes cannot hybridize with dogs but, as crosses between horses and zebras demonstrate, differences in chromosome number are not the reason. Viable hybrids between species are possible regardless of chromosome number differences provided the gene combination in the hybrid allows for embryonic development to birth. Large differences in chromosome number, however, would make hybrid bitches so poorly fertile as to be essentially sterile. Male hybrids would be sterile due to a phenomenon called Haldane's Rule. The lack of genetically verified fox/dog hybrids indicates that viable embryos are not formed.)"
Also, the gestation of a dog is 63 days, the gestation for a fox is as short as 49 days to as long as 53 days, an 11 day difference gestation would be disasterous should an embryo ever make it that far.
#69 of 107 Old 08-21-2006, 08:32 PM

We have a Papillon and she's just fantastic with the kids and loves everyone. She has no issues with strangers either.
#70 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 02:30 AM

I already posted in here - I have a male GSD. But, since I see a few of you posted photos ... I couldn't resist posting mine. These are from last Christmas (2005). This was from when we still lived upstate NY. So, with no further ado, here's the love of my life:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/a7437418.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/69052b61.jpg

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#71 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 AM

What are his bloodlines Sailor, that second pic looks a lot like our lines (only we haven't had a b&t pop up in AGES)
#72 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 AM

Oh, boy ... this question always has me fumbling for his pedigree chart! You'd think, by now, I'd have it memorized with the amount of times it's been asked. But, because they're long sounding German names ... to me they all sound the same. :

Off the top of my head, his dad was Jello vom Neptherland (I only remember that because it's like jello in the Netherlands). And his dad (Roark's grandpa), I believe, was Asko Von der Lutter (I remember that by: I "asked" Von not to "litter") ... and (Roark's grandma, still on dad's side) was Lotte vam Geiersnest (sp?).

I'll get back to you on the other side of the pedigree, as I'll have to look it up. Those names don't have any good mnemonic devices.

Honestly, though, is there a trick to memorizing these names? I feel like I'm the only owner, training in Schutzhund, who doesn't know their dog's pedigree off the top of their head.

#73 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 10:56 AM

Don't feel bad and i wouldn't worry too much about it either. Sheena is the one how knows the pedigrees here, I know the basics but she's the expert. Heck, I've been to the bundeseiger and not known my dogs pedigree!!
I think teh best way to remember though is to research some key dogs, pick the ones with their III and research their pedigree, that will help you remember key names, nobody is going to expect you to know every dog 5 generations back.
#74 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Shannon - when you say to research some key dogs, and pick the ones with their III and research their pedigree ... do you mean (sorry to be obtuse) ANY key dogs, or key dogs coming from Roark's background?

#75 of 107 Old 08-22-2006, 10:03 PM

No no, key dogs in his pedigree, so for instance, with my lines, Eros vom Hambachtil is a prominent dog that is very typey to our lines in both temperment and looks. He is fairly far removed from Havoc's pedigree but Eros is seen strongly in all the Tetley lines (OTCh. Carmspack-Yuellet Tetley TD, TDX, Sch. III, HDX) and she is the foundation bitch for the line we use most often.
#76 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 04:17 AM

Gotcha - thanks. I have on last question (and then I promise to stop hijacking the thread) ... how do I choose the key dog in his pedigree? In Roark's line, there's not one dog that didn't have Sch. III. This was pretty much what he was "designed" to do. Some of the dogs had additional titles, so do I pick those over the ones with just Sch. III? I assume yes. Thanks again for the help.

#77 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Is his breeder contactable or is he an import? I can look at your pedigree (ok, no, I can hand it to Sheena and say, tell me about these dogs )
The thing is that you want to pick dogs that have a strong influence in your dog. My fav dog in Canada is in Bedlam's pedigree, Gaby, but he's a tall, lean dog and his temperment is NOTHING like Lam's, so picking him to describe her pedigree would be silly.
So, if you can, contact his breeder or a local sport old timer and tell them you want to know more about the pedigree. If it's a German pedigree they often have assessments of the dogs made by judges, you just need a translator.
#78 of 107 Old 08-23-2006, 03:32 PM

We have 2 husky mixes (rescues from animal control), Dottie and her daughter Tipsy

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...is/lala045.jpg

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#79 of 107 Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218
Is his breeder contactable or is he an import? I can look at your pedigree (ok, no, I can hand it to Sheena and say, tell me about these dogs )
The thing is that you want to pick dogs that have a strong influence in your dog. My fav dog in Canada is in Bedlam's pedigree, Gaby, but he's a tall, lean dog and his temperment is NOTHING like Lam's, so picking him to describe her pedigree would be silly.
So, if you can, contact his breeder or a local sport old timer and tell them you want to know more about the pedigree. If it's a German pedigree they often have assessments of the dogs made by judges, you just need a translator.
No, not an import ... well, he is from German lines, but I was able to meet his parents. And his breeder is definitely contactable. I don't know why I never thought to ask him about this! It's funny how people sometimes overlook the most obvious solutions. Thanks for the suggestion.

#80 of 107 Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM

We have a Jack Russell and ADORE him! He is such a smart little peanut, and oh so loyal! When we go for walks he will always look back and make sure everyone in the family is there and stop if we do.
He has been learning tricks very fast, and and loves the outdoors like we do! DH did not even want a dog and now he is Caspian's biggest fan!

A pic of Caspian of when he was a bit younger
#81 of 107 Old 03-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Oh, he's a cutie!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#82 of 107 Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM

Woops, already posted LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#83 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 AM

I am not really sure what my girl is. She has short legs but markings like a doberman or a rottie. Her tongue is spotted, someone told me that was a chow trait? She will also release this foul fishy smell when she is really scared by someone she doesnt know (Hound?)

She was a rescue when she was 7 weeks old, she looked like a dachshund when I got her, but as she grew she took on more of a corgi shape.

Whatever mix she is, she is fabulous!! I got her when I was in my early 20's and out on my own for the first time, and she has been with me for 15 years. She ADORES the boys and they are her cubs. She loves all 4 kitties too.

Sometimes she is a PITA and I will be the first to admit, I wasnt very good at teaching her when I got her, but she is a great girl. I was told she was found beside a very busy highway in Cetnral Florida, and she has a fear of men she doesnt know. She cant be off leash AT ALL and will run and turn deaf (Again, hound?)

But I cant imagine NOT having her around! Despite her flaws, she is a really good dog and fits our family so well! If I can find one Ill add a picture and see what you guys think she may be.
#84 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

I dont have it yet lol but anyway...I'm probably getting an English Springer Spaniel, not sure of the colour, obviously either liver and white or black and white whichever one I like the most when I see it, a female, and Im not sure about a name just yet. I will post pics when I get her
#85 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 AM

We have a 7 month old Smooth Fox Terrier/Schnauzer mix. We got him from a shelter about 5 months ago. He would not be a good dog for a small child. Dd is almost 7 and is okay with him most of the time. He is very active and intellegent. He likes a lot of interaction.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#86 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Two Catahoulas and a Pekingese...what can I say I like stubborn and pig headed.
The Catahoulas are the long walks, hunting and camping dogs...they have super high energy needs. They get a long game of fetch, over jumps...and a run besides my bike every day, that is when I can't run them in the woods.

The Peke is the reading long novels sort of dog, he is also great for car trips, as an hotel alarm...and is basicly a hairly little lap lump. (carpet shark..lol) he is a dog though, and is very fun to teach silly tricks too.

Neither would I suggest as easy to train dogs for small kids though. The Catahoulas are very high energy and territorial, they love the kids but do not like strangers near them at all. The peke could care less about the children, he made it very clear that I am his...but he has been trained to tolerate them. I also do not have little kids any more(14and 7)..so, basicly what I am saying is...what are good breeds for my family may not be good for anyone elses
#87 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM

we have a golden retriever, and will be getting a corgi in another year or so.
#88 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM

Goof! Sorry!
#89 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM

#90 of 107 Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM

I don't know how I miss the fact that you are getting a dog for your 2yo!

I posted earlier about hout Jack Russell, and though we think he is PERFECT for us, a Jack Russel would NOT be the first choice as a dog FOR a child this small IMHO.
I have a 2yo myself, but Caspian is not his dog. Caspian and my DS are still learning how to get along: Caspian won't tolerate any abuse, and it is hard to explain that to a 2yo. On the other hand, Caspian is learning fast and as the alpha female in this pack I don't let him hurt my little "puppy" (DS, that is)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page