What kind of dog do you have? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: What kind of dog do you have?

Dh and I want to get a dog for ds (2 years old)
What do you have?
#2 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 04:14 PM

I have a husky/shepard mix. She is almost 10 years old, so she's mellowed out a lot. She is very good with my 20 mo. niece, who stepped on her once and was greeted with a small bark, but other than that the dog tolerates and even likes her hugs and kisses and face rubs. Sometimes the dog lie behind the sofa to have quiet time and then my niece will got sit beside her and pet her.

Majestic

Scared of thunder

My sister owned a Rottie, may she rest in peace, who was an angel, and loved to be petted and hugged by my niece. Of course, she was old when my niece was born, so that might have had something to do with the temperment.
#3 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 04:16 PM

We have an adult Basset Hound we got this spring as a rescue dog. He's fat and lazy and a wonderful dog, but certainly not for everyone.

He sheds almost as much as our lab did, and the SLOBBER! Sometimes he shakes his head with a good mouthful of slobber and it gets on everything - even the ceiling, once. He is wonderful with my (older) kids, but absolutely can't be trusted off leash because if he gets a scent he runs with it. He took off so fast once that I dropped the leash, and the only thing that saved us was that he was so fat he couldn't run fast for very long.

Previously we had a Lab, and he was a wonderful dog too, but her puppyhood was a nightmare! Lab tails are also right about face level with a toddler, and can really sting.

Personally, I would not have a new dog and a toddler at the same time.
#4 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM

First I'd like to applaud you for not just running out and getting the first "cute" dog you see and putting some thought into getting a dog, but I don't know that this question (at least the way its worded) would be the right approach to leading you to the correct dog for your family. If I were you I would take a step back and take a look at your life style, research a few breeds that appeal to you and then maybe get feedback from people that own the type of dogs you are interested in. Your lifestyle, the environment, climate etc should greatly impact what type of breed you obtain, not the type other people have.

Make a list of your wants (before looking at photos of breeds) and go from there....for example if you live on a lake or near water you may want to look into labs or other dogs that swim (though these are nice dogs even if you don't live near water). Do you live in apt or own a house, do you have a large yard, will you need to go to dog parks, if so have you visited them? How much exercise will the dog get vs what they need. Do you want a small, med or large breed dog? Do you want a dog that sheds? Do you want one that needs to be groomed regularly (I'm talking clipped, not just brushed regularly). Are you an active family that is outdoors alot or do you spend most of your time indoors?

I hope I don't sound too harsh, but I volunteer for a rescue and I always try to advocate research, research and more research before making such a committment.

And to answer your question, we have a black lab and a boxer. Both of which are great with my 14 month old daughter. We are even fostering a boxer at the moment and she is terrific with my daughter as well. The lab was my dog of choice 7 years ago because I lived on a river, had children in my home frequently and they make a nice "family" pet. On the negative side he sheds IMMENSLY! I fell in love with the boxer breed when a friend introduced me to his, after looking into the breed we found they would fit our current lifestyle perfectly and knew at the time we would be having children of our own soon, so "good with children" was a must. We no longer live on the river, but own a home with a huge fenced in yard and boxers are terrific with children and shed minimally. The boxer is a high energy breed (though once properly exercised make the best couch potatoes ) and doesn't always do well home alone for long periods of time (though some are ok), which we are only gone typically no more than 4-5 hours a day.
#5 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM

I have a 2 year old dd and we have a golden retriever (5) and a chocolate lab (1). Both shed ALOT and have high exercise needs but they are both sweethearts and are very good with dd. The lab is the most patient though and he seems to have a really firm connection to dd, though it may just be that he is kinda growing up with her since we got him when she was 11 months old. They are good about dd hugging them and kissing them and they both watch over her and the rest of the family.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#6 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 04:52 PM

I have a smooth coat collie. She's been fabulous with our girls. She was supposed to be my second dd, but then we got pg w/our other dd.

We chose a collie because I love the fact that they are well-known for being excellent family dogs... AWESOME with kids. A collie is protective, but a collie's way of protecting is to put himself between his charge and the perceived threat. I like that because while I do want my dog to be protective of my kids, I certainly didn't want a dog who might decide to attack someone.

I chose a smooth coat because I could not see myself brushing any more hair every day!

Collies are herding dogs & that means that she's happiest when all of her sheep are together... otherwise, she's always pacing around, trying to get us all where we're supposed to be.

We love our girl... she's a fabulous dog for our family.
#7 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM

Red heeler. He's heeler #3 that I've owned, and I like them the best so far-though the others weren't much in comparison (lab/golden retreiver X that was dumb, Rottweiler (favorite dog breed #2-don't know if he's representative or not) and a kelpie/border collie mix that was so timid you couldn't do anything with her. At all.

KD is smart, eager to please, good w/ kids (well other peoples kids, so hopefully my own too!), doesn't need to be babysit, ie on the weekends he's outside in the (unfenced) yard (we live in the country on 4 acres) and he knows to stay "home" within those 4 acres w/ no trouble at all. Ever. Good watch dog. My only complaint is with his hair-he sheds constantly-though I think if I got him on RAW food that would quit....can't get my hubby on board with that though.....but I do feed him as much raw stuff as I can afford for now after dh is gone to work... shouldn't be sneaky but if he won't listen, well, then,

He was pretty hyperactive in his younger days-not destructive, just wanted to play ball all the time. You could not wear him out. (Unless you took a 4 mile ride at a fair pace on a horse..but who has time for that everyday?)

HTH
#8 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting some great input THANKS

The research we have done, a mix is the way to go for us. We're in Alaska and have a lot of weather issues to consider.

mom2olivia , we have done all that you have sugested, I wanted some personal experiences to go with our idea of providing a good home to a doggie:

Thaks for sharing stories
#9 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 09:32 PM

We have your basic shelter mix she's mostly shepard, we think some lab and a few other things thrown in.

We got her as a puppy we went to the shelter many times, did the "puppy tests" and she is really great, a little hyper but she's still not quite two, so I'm hoping in a few years she'll settle down.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#10 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 10:35 PM

we have an 8 yr male Jack Russell Terrier-by far my favorite doggie breed so far (have also had Bouviers, Siberian Huskies, German Shepherds, Goldens and a Chesapeake Bay Retriever.) I love that he's a big dog in a small dog's body, and don't think I'll ever have another big dog after him. He's so loving, smart, and fun-have never had some of the negative problems you hear some JRT owners having. They do need lots of exercise and do need training, otherwise you'll have a problem. Oh, and they shed-regardless of what type of coat they have (smooth or rough.) They also don't tolerate being handled roughly, so it was a bit of a challenge with him when my daughters were younger. He absolutely adores my oldest now-follows her everywhere and sleeps with her, and knows all her secrets. He's just now starting to be more affectionate toward our toddler-and she's really good about being gentle with him. And they are the cutest puppies!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...6/DSCN8746.jpg
#11 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM

I have a golden retriever & a shih tzu. Both such adorable, cute dogs!!!!
#12 of 107 Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I posted this on the TAO that got closed.

We have an adorable 10 year old Sheltie mix that we got as a puppy from a dumb friend of my brother's. He thought he could keep her in his no-pets apartment.

Our dog is half Sheltie but we don't know what the other part is. Could be Corgi because she's very low to the ground. Could be Dauschund because she has the sloping forehead. Whatever her true mix is our dog is super dog. She is very good with people. She'll bark at strangers when we're not around. But when people come to the house for parties and such she's very friendly. She's good with DD (although I never leave the two of them alone. It's not our dog. I'm distrustful of what DD might do to the dog! ). She knows about 20 words and 7 commands. Most of the words she understands she picked up on her own. I think the Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog) is strong in her and they are supposed to be very intelligent dogs. Shelties look like small Collies. That's what our dog looks like. She sheds a lot. That's the downside. We had to get a Dyson vaccum to remove the pet hair. The Dyson has been awesome. I don't see the pet hair on the carpet anymore.

I'm not sure I would get a new dog if DD was a toddler. We had our dog for a decade so she was part of the family and we weren't about to get rid of her. However, DD doesn't know how to treat a dog. She has a tendency to pull on the fur, yank, hit, pinch. It's all normal for a toddler but hurtful to a dog. We're lucky that ours is pretty easy-going and older. She generally moves away from DD and avoids her knowing what she's capable of.

When I was growing up we had a pure breed German Shepard. A gorgeous dog and smart as they come. She was an outside dog who was a wonderful guard dog and fanastic companion animal. Most people wouldn't consider a German Shepard a good family dog I'm sure but ours was as gentle as a Golden Retriever. I still miss her even though she passed away nearly 26 years ago.

There are so many wonderful dogs at the animal shelters. Many of them would be good family dogs. Please consider adopting from a shelter esp a no-kill shelter.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#13 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 AM

I have a GSD. I'm the love of his life. Though, of course, currently he's also mine.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#14 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 12:45 AM

We have a German Shepherd, a Cocker Spaniel and a Chihuahua. Small, medium and large.

Alicia mama to 3 boys 6 and under.
#15 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 12:48 AM

We have 2 dogs.

The yellow lab is a watch dog for the girls. She goes where they do. And if your a stranger don't touch the girls or make any fast moves towards them even if you can see anywhere around, she doesn't like it

The yorkie is mine but he isn't your typical lap dog. He spends the days outside with the lab on his own accord.

They sleep with the girls at night :
#16 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM

Augie my love is half Australian Shepherd, and half black & tan Coonhound. SO he has long hair, a HUGE nose, and big floppy ears. He is such a doll. My DH got him long before we met, and Augie is now about 13 or so. He was finally not so hyper at around 11 or so, not sure if thats a hound thing or an Aussie thing, but BOY was he a spazzy baby. : He does drool muchly, loves to talk (bark) and sing (howl) and just generally loves attention.

I don't really know how he is around kids. He's really used to just DH and myself, as we dont' have kids yet and most of our friends kids are older (8 and up) so I've really never seen him around little ones. I think he's be fine now - at this point he's a wee bit senile, and just sort of oblivious to the world around him sometimes. He is fine with the cats, in fact, the only reason we keep the cats away from him is because one of my cats *hates* dogs with a passion, and has never (5 years now) quite gotten used to having him around. It's really for his own safety, as I'm quite sure this cat could hold her own.

About the only thing I'd caution people on with a dog like Augie is he needs a ton of grooming to keep him untangled (long aussie hair, just like his "sister" that we used to have, a purebred Aussie) and he drools like a fiend, and howls along with sirens and other dogs (hound thing) and while his eyesight isn't that great, not is his hearing (an age thing) his nose is still beyond fantastic, nearly bionic! (hound thing) so you have to be a wee bit extra cautious about things that smell good to doggies, like kitty litter and garbage and such.

So yeah, he's a noisy, drooly, messy (shedding) goober, and I adore him. :
#17 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 12:56 AM

Did you choose a dog yet akkimmie? You know you have to come back and post pictures now when you get him/her, right?

We have two dogs, both mutts from the local shelter. One (see big dog link) is a 3 season dog at best. He gets really cold in the winter and as he gets older likes snow less and less. It was really hard to find him a "jacket"!

The other dog (little dog link) is a 3 season dog too, but the other way 'round. He loves the snow and cool weather just delights him. He does not seem to like the heat too much. So, although I do not live as far north as you, I can relate to the weather aspect

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#18 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

We have not picked a dog yet. We've been looking for awhile at our local shelter,friends of pets and several rescue places: We have found a couple that would be perfect and the next day they have been adopted, which is bitter sweet . I have full faith that the right dog or puppy will join our family soon I hope it happens before the snow comes Before motherhood I was a wildlife biologist and I'm in need of furry friends
#19 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM

Just because it's worrying me that it's the second time you've mentioned weather, are you thinking that the dog will be left outside for any length of time? Because I've got to warn you away from that ASAP--dogs should be inside, constant members of the family. If it's just that you're worried about exercise/pee breaks, that's fine, but I would never want you to get a dog because it could be outside for eight hours at a time.
#20 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

thekimballs: I would NEVER NEVER NEVER leave a dog out!!!!!!!: I am aware of the weather here and want time to prepare myself for having a dog Basically I want, us as a family (including doggie), to have time together before adding the snow to the equation. Does that make sense? I can read all of the book and get as much info as possible but untill we have the experience of having a new addition there's a lot that we will learn once we have adopted.

I love all of the pictures and thanks agian for all of the input
#21 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 02:25 AM

Akkimmie... We're from the Valley! If you are going to have a family dog the best way to have one is to start out with a puppy. You want the bonding and raising a dog from puppy stage is really important for that! Also get it with in the next few months would be best with our climate for house breaking.

I am biased towards labs and golden retrievers. I had 2 goldens growing up and they were fantastic family dogs. They shed, can have allergies and ear problems but they are great family dogs. Labs are also awesome. The only thing really challenging with them is they love to chew on things as puppies. Sticks, furniture, toys, pens, newspapers, my birth control pills... (That's another posting...) But they outgrow it eventually!!!

My dh and I got a lab mix when we first got married. He was awesome. Vets had different opinions on his mix, but the last two were pretty convinced that he was part Newfoundland and lab. Newfies are great family dogs too,but can get huge, shed and slobber. Our first dog my dh and I got died of old age (almost 12) and a few months after that we got anothe lab mix. She looks completely like a black lab and is so wonderful with our kids. She is very protective of them, she alternates sleeping in each of their rooms, follows them when they are outside playing, barks and lets us know when there is something odd going on. Just a cool dog!!
#22 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 03:18 AM

I have a 7 year old English Springer Spaniel. She is a wonderful dog, but no way would I get a Springer with children under 5. They are fabulous with kids, but high energy and high needs themselves and they need a ton of time devoted solely to them to start with. (That's the reason we were given ours.) We've had a hard road "retraining" this dog, and she's worth it, but I can't imagine trying it with small kids.

We always had mutts as a kid with the exception of one rescued whippet, and they were all great dogs too.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#23 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 AM

We have a german shepherd mix. I was told she was half sheltie, but I met another dog that was known to be 1/2 shepherd, 1/2 sheltie and that dog was way smaller than mine and way hairier. Although I do know you never know what you'll get with a mix. By her looks, I'd say my dog is really a german shepherd blue heeler mix. She also loves to "herd" my cats and once tried to herd sheep that were behind my grandmother's house to mow the neighbors grass. There had never been sheep back there before, and had never been an electric fence, either, and my dog just kept trying to run after them, zapped herself on the fence three times before I finally caught her and brought her inside.
She is very calm, but then she is 11 years old now. She generally tolerates our daughter, even though she is very rough on the dog. I no longer allow my dog on our bed or on the furniture since she had starting displaying dominance toward our daughter. We gave her a padded bench out on our inside front porch and keep her water out there (can't keep out daughter out of the dog's water bowl), so our dog has been spending a lot of time out there, so she can't steal Abigail's food.

We had another dog when our daughter was born. He was a black lab (3/4) and border collie (1/4). Sweetest dog. Very hyper. Shed A LOT! When we brought Abigail home, he immediately was calmer, like he knew she was delicate and that he had to be careful around her. His body would still wiggle with excitement, but he contained it, so he looked like he was spasming. He just became so gentle after having been so clumsy and strong and destructive (pulled bird cage papers out and shredded them all over the house, got in trash, ate my clothes, etc.) It was like he was a whole new dog. Unfortunately, we don't have him anymore and I miss him terribly. Last June, we were moving, and had dh's dad take him for what we thought would be less than one week, time to get settled into new home. Stupid man let him out, didn't tie him up, and drove off into town. Never saw my dog again. Even though we reported his loss to local shelters and put up signs. He would be 3 years old now.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#24 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM

That's so sad abi's mom I hope that someone kind took him in.

IKWY meant about the weather Kimmi . I told Dh that if we got another dog it would have to be "fluffier" like Ralphie, as there is little to no chance we will ever live somewhere there is not winter. I love my Samson, and I feel so bad for him in the cooler weather. He does not really like anything below about 50... and around here that is the better part of the year (I am in PA). He has two "jackets", which help a lot, but still. DH calles him the Florida Dog :

BTW; I got a shedding blade thing (furminator) for Ralphie that works GREAT for helping control shedding and making him more comfortable in the hot weather, thanks to the advice of the brilliant mamas here. You might want to look into having something like that on hand for the warmer months when the fluffy dogs let go of all that hair

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#25 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM

doberman-spanish greyhound mutt. Now 13 and arthritic. She's been wonderful with my son. When he was a newborn, she kept trying to lick him for me to clean him when I was changing his diaper (on the floor since he couldn't roll off). I quickly taught her that he was my "puppy", NOT hers! She's protective of him and he loves to brush her.
#26 of 107 Old 08-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a 4.5 month old Saint Bernard. She is the 3rd one we have had and I love them to death . They are big, slobbery lap dogs. They do tend to have some expensive health problems, so be prepared for that (with giant dogs, every thing is more expensive). They take a lot of training and socilizing as pups, because you can not have a 200lb dog with bad manners(not that any dog with bad manners is acceptable. They tend to be very lazy, but are clumbsy and can knock kids over on accident - their "brakes" take a while to become fine tuned, and when a 50lb pup hits the back of your knees it can hurt. They do make very good cold weather dogs. My girls love to use them as pillows, and we had one that was VERY protective of her family. She would get very upset if someone was hurting any of us, and knock them over and stand on their chest - we had that happen 2 times

They are not for many families, but are a very good pet for us.

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#27 of 107 Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM

I don't have kids, to start off.

Leah is my baby, she's a 3 year old Kelpie/border collie mix. She's scared of strangers, especially kids (had some bad experiences with neighbor kids at the last house). She barks at people who are unfamiliar. I wouldn't call her timid, she doesn't cower and hide, just barks and keeps her distance. She's a great dog though! Obeys everything I say, does things without being asked (goes to her crate when I'm almost ready for work, etc), does things the minute she's asked, no exceptions. She's lovable, cuddly, happy, crazy, and neurotic. She has a toy obsession, it's a security thing. When she's nervous she picks up a toy and squeaks it or shakes it hard. And she is never EVER agressive. Even though fearful, if forced to interact, she will do so without question (I don't generally put her in this situation, but have had to a couple times for vet appointments and such).

Buddha is a Beagle/dachshund mix, looks like a dachshund. She's a great little dog. Loves everyone, loves to cuddle. She's 9 years old, I just got her a year ago. Her previous owner was going to put her to sleep because "she smells". Seriously, that was her reason. I took her, got her off the pedigree canned she was eating, and she smells fine now. She's a great little dog.

Dawn

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#28 of 107 Old 08-11-2006, 01:29 AM

blue heeler

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#29 of 107 Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 AM

two chihuahua mixes (2 & 3) two lhasa mixes (2 & 6) two retreiver mixes (2 & 11) one cane corso mastif (3)

Jarrod & Nataleigh Est. 2004
DD Jayde 2005
DS William 2007
DD Lilleigh 2008
DS Edward 2010
DS Mikah 2012
Due July 2013
#30 of 107 Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Currently have a schnauzer mix:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ahandmabel.jpg

first canine baby was a shepherd mix:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t/sophie13.jpg

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page