Dogs and earthquakes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Does anyone live in an area where there is earthquakes? We have a great dane and we live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. This weekend there was a 6.0 earthquake in the gulf of mexico near us and it was something that you could actually feel here. Ever since then, my dog has been acting absolutely nutty! He's been hiding in our walk in shower, he acts nervous all the time...just totally not himself.
Has anyone experienced weird things with their dog following something like this. I'm wondering if there are aftershocks going on that we don't feel. Earthquakes are incredibly rare here and we literally have never had one in m lifetime -- so I have no experience with this.
Thoughts? Could this be what is making my dog be acting so bizarre? He is acting terrified all the time.
Amy

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2006, 12:21 AM

I live in CA. Need I say more? I don't remember my girl dog acting weird around earthquakes but maybe I forget. Here though there are usually very small undetectable ones happening all the time so I think the animals are probably really used to it and would only freak out if a severe one were coming. The last one that was a major shaker was when she was a pup and I don't think she even woke up.

My girl dog is very sensitive to things. She definitely lets me know when things are off. Mostly though she's sensitive to me so if I act like it's no big deal she usually believes me. Like w/Thuderstorms she was really looking to me to see just how freaked out she should be...because she was sure this had the potential to really freak her out...and I don't blame her.

I can imagine a freaked out dog of that size could be quite an ordeal. I think it's important to not coddle him because if you do then he thinks he's absolutely right to be freaked out and behaving that way. You have to kind of give him a kick in the butt (not literally of course!) and just make him go about his usual business and get over it. Dogs are different from us the most in this area I think. With a human you comfort them and it makes them better. With a dog, you comfort them and they will keep staying that way. They think you're telling them that this is what they're supposed to do and how they're supposed to be acting.

Joanna's the Great Dane expert though so I'm sure she'll have some word's of wisdom to offer.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:26 AM

Well, animals can sense things that humans can't..... so.

Or, you could have him checked out just to make sure there isn't something wrong with him and its purely coincidental that its right after the quake.

Then, if he gets a clean bill of health.....I'd be watching my dog closely, they're very intuitive.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 AM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
:

there have been all kinds of studies done on the sixth sense that animals/dogs have...they can sense when the weather changes, they knew when the 2004 tsunami hit to run away from it before anyone could actually *see* it...not trying to worry you, just saying that animals can hear, smell and even see things that we can't.

I hope everything is ok...

Old 09-13-2006, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

We'll keep an eye on things. Hopefully its nothing though. It truly is pathetic to see a 160 pound dog cowering in a walk im shower.
Good thoughts though not to coddle him. I'll keep that in mind!
Amy

Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 AM

Some rescue remedy in his water wouldnt' hurt.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:22 AM

Very often, stuff like this is because the dog was a little freaked out by the quake and then gets attention when he's nervous--owners try to comfort him. That makes him think that he was right to be nervous, which makes him even more scared, and the cycle goes on.

I would insist that he act normally--don't give him attention until he's calm and normal. Don't let him in the shower, etc. Start getting mad that he's acting so weird; don't comfort him. Give him more exercise, more outdoor activity, something distracting, etc.

Danes are "soft" dogs--they're generally submissive and sensitive and take cues from their owners very easily. They really need strong leadership and owners with a calm, confident personality or they get neurotic extremely quickly. I think in this case he's on his way to a neurosis, so you need to snap him out of it now.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs
Very often, stuff like this is because the dog was a little freaked out by the quake and then gets attention when he's nervous--owners try to comfort him. That makes him think that he was right to be nervous, which makes him even more scared, and the cycle goes on.

I would insist that he act normally--don't give him attention until he's calm and normal. Don't let him in the shower, etc. Start getting mad that he's acting so weird; don't comfort him. Give him more exercise, more outdoor activity, something distracting, etc.

Danes are "soft" dogs--they're generally submissive and sensitive and take cues from their owners very easily. They really need strong leadership and owners with a calm, confident personality or they get neurotic extremely quickly. I think in this case he's on his way to a neurosis, so you need to snap him out of it now.
My husband will do that for us! He prides himself at his lack of sympathy. This is him "get your a** out of that shower boy!" nope, DH doesn't put up with the nonsense even for a second. LOL! We'll leave him alone with my DH for a few days with no exposure to the kindhearted sweet mama and he'll be back to normal in no time.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, you guys are going to laugh at me. I've figured it out. My dog is afraid of balloons. I know this, but I wasn't thinking of it. He just is terrified of balloons.
So, my daughter currently has the ENORMOUS mylar balloon floating around in the living room. I TOTALLY didn't connect the two because I was just thinking of the earthquake that we had. Well....its the balloon. We moved it into a bedroom and shut the door and my dog is acting like his normal self. He was terrified of the big mylar balloon
Ok....mystery solved.
Amy

Old 09-13-2006, 09:55 PM

Location: Driftless Region of Iowa, on a beautiful little farm.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

User Tag List