A couple questions about putting my dog to sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I was hoping you could lend me some advice. My dog is going to be put to sleep either tomorrow or Monday. I was hoping you could offer me some advice on how to cope with this. I've never had to put a pet to sleep before and will probably have to go by myself to be there with my dog. I just don't know how to handle it.

I was also wondering how to handle this with my two year old. I took our dog to the vet yesterday and we didn't know she wouldn't be coming home, so my DD never got to "say goodbye". I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to take DD to the vet with me to see our dog for the last time? Not be there for the euthanasia, just to visit her one last time. I just don't want her to think we dropped Lily (the dog) off and she never came home without having some kind of closure. Or maybe two year olds don't need closure, I don't know. I'm just having a hard time processing this all.

Thank you so much.
#2 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think a two-year-old needs to see a dog again; if she were mine I'd say that Rusty had to go to heaven today, and we won't be able to see her again, and we'd pray for her, but I wouldn't scare her by taking her to the vet. An older child, yes, but not a toddler.

If the dog needs to be put down, I'd do it now. The weekend isn't going to make a difference except in pain, so do it ASAP. If the dog is already at the vet, and you don't feel comfortable being there (especially if the dog is so ill that she won't even know you're there), just have them do it and take care of the arrangements. If you WANT to be there, by all means go; the dog will get a major dose of sedative and will very quickly drop off, and then will receive the euthanizing medication and will die. The whole thing takes about 20 seconds.
#3 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM

My 2 yo hasn't mentioned our dog at all and we put him down 3 weeks ago. I would not have the 2 yo there if you are going to be with your dog during the procedure.
FWIW, I did not tell my 4 or 6 yo either. I mentioned it after the fact. I just said he died. I did not feel MY kids could handle anything else. 14 yo didn't seem to care, 16 yo was there with dh and I.

PLease, do not call it putting your dog to sleep, especially with children. My 4 yo decided the dog was crushed by the garage door and then died. Not sure how he strung those together, but for him I know it would have been worse if I ever said put to sleep.

I am sorry mama. It is aweful, no matter what. I did wait out hte weekend, but our dog was home. That and the friday was DH's birthday and that was no fair to DH.
#4 of 10 Old 09-15-2006, 12:41 AM

I think you really should have a driver. I don't think it's safe for you to try to drive yourself home after going through something like that. Is there a friend or a taxi service? I'm so sorry that you are going through this alone, I think people really need support through something like this- I'm glad that you do have the moms here at MDC. It's such a very hard braqve kind thing to do.

Love Sarah
#5 of 10 Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 AM

I"m of the mind that no matter what the condition of the pet, they know their owner is there with them, they can feel their love...... This is where pets like this are lucky to have owners like you, you can determine when is the best time to end their suffering. Your beloved dog can leave this earth with dignity. You are selfless enough to allow him that dignity.

I keep this on my fridge....thought I'd share it with you.

A DOG'S PRAYER
By Beth Norman Harris
Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
#6 of 10 Old 09-15-2006, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my, thank you everyone, and that poem is so sweet, I'm going to print it off.

Just to clarify, the reason we might wait until Monday is that it's important to us to donate her body to an autopsy program and we might not be able to get it arranged until Monday. I went to visit Lily tonight and she is comfortable, seems almost normal, actually, so at least she's not in pain.

I also plan on being very, very careful in how I tell my two year old, probably will be as simple as telling her Lily won't be coming home again and leave it at that.

Yikes, this is so incredibly hard. I think I will have to find someone to come with me. I had a friend come to visit tonight and even that was super hard.

Thank you so much for the support. :
#7 of 10 Old 09-15-2006, 01:59 AM

I am soo sorry for what you are going through. I had to put my dog down about a year ago. She was very sick, but still acting normal, so we kept her at home and the vet told us we would know when it was time. Well the time came a couple of hours after the vet closed on Sat and didn't reopen until Monday. So I knew for the whole weekend what was comming, and every time I looked at her I cried. It was awful.
When the time finally came, I sat with her and petted her, and it was very fast and peaceful. It was a relief. I felt so much better that she wasn't in pain or suffering anymore.

Of course my kids saw the dog was very sick, but when they asked where I was taking her I said that the vet knew how sick Buffy was and he was going to help her get to heaven. They didn't ask how. I was very careful not to say anything about shots or sleep, I didn't want them to fear them later.
#8 of 10 Old 09-16-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you again, everyone. We put Lily down today. If you would like to read about her, please visit this link:

http://bubbiegirl.blogspot.com/2006/...-for-lily.html

So far DD has talked about Lily and I simply said Lily wasn't coming home. She hasn't seemed any more interested in an actual explanation.
#9 of 10 Old 09-16-2006, 01:29 AM

I had to put my dog down in February and I know how painful it is/

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#10 of 10 Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamilkers
So far DD has talked about Lily and I simply said Lily wasn't coming home. She hasn't seemed any more interested in an actual explanation.
but be open for it. I didn't know how much my 2yo would understand, but he very much understands Kiley isn't here anymore, and still asks for her (we just put her down on 7/5). We talk about her passing openly w/our kids (but we're a very open family, and they all had a last goodbye at home w/her...), and they are all still processing it, mourning her, and missing her, each in their own timeframes, and in their own ways. (they are 7, just turned 5, and 2).

eta: uhhh, yeahhhh, july is the 7th month.....yep, every year. I actually had to edit twice to get it right, derrrrr. yep, laugh at me now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page