After a dog dies, when is the best time to get another one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, I apologize if this has been discussed before. I looked back 21 pages and didn't notice a thread about it.

I am curious what others opinions are about getting another dog after losing one? What are the important things to think about/weigh when considering getting another dog?

My family isn't really in a good position to get another dog any time soon, but I can't wait until we can. I want to be able to get a pup who is a descendent of my sweet Lily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
from my childhood experience, whenever you feel its right as a family.

we have never gotten another animal as a replacement, but we have had quite a few have to be put down because of problems. I think whenever you as a family are ready for it, then its fine.
#3 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 03:45 AM

Oh, I love Water Dogs. I looked up your girl, and she was an AKC champion ahd had all her health testing done. She has at least two champion offspring, so you should have every expectation that there are still plenty of relatives around and being bred. One of her sons (who is a champion, CDX, NA, NAJ, so bravo on his owner) had his CERF updated as recently as last year, so he's probably still alive and contributing to the gene pool.

I personally think that there is nothing more healing than getting a puppy in your arms again. It has nothing to do with replacing and everything to do with choosing to experience the joy of dog ownership again. I hate to hear about people saying that they'll never own another dog again because they can't have Rover back; that's like saying that you'll reject all friendships because your best buds moved to another state. No, it'll never be the same, but it can be very good, maybe even better, in a totally different way. So personally, I'd say do it ASAP.
#4 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 AM

It's a compleatly personal choice. You need to be sure that you are ready to accept the new addition on his own merit. Like the PP mentioned you are not replacing you old dog. Other then that it's just whenever you feel ready

HTH

upsidedown.gif Charlie~ partners.gif Married to my best friendheartbeat.gif 5/11 slingboy.gif Mama to my Teddy Bear Rainbow.gif 7/12  pos.gif Due with #2 stork-suprise.gif 6/14
#5 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 04:36 AM

I don't think there is any set timeline. My therapist told me after my much beloved cocker died a couple years ago that the time to start thinking about a new dog is when you find yourself thinking about a new dog. It worked for us!

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#6 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Whatever you do, just make sure it's not too soon.

When I was a teenager, we had a cat that got run over while we were on vacation. The day we came back, or maybe the following day, my aunt showed up with 2 male kittens. I was NOT emotionally ready for another cat- I was just getting used to my precious Midnight not being with us anymore. Now suddenly we had 2 kittens to care for, and we didn't have ANYTHING for them in the house- no kitten food, no kitty litter- as my Dad wasn't on vacation with us and he threw out the old litter box.

We never really bonded with those cats, and it wasn't hard at all for my Mom to get rid of them when she found out she was allergic to them.

Whatever you do, don't buy a "replacement" pet- they're living creatures who deserve love and respect as individuals. Wait until all family members are ready to welcome a new animal into your family.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#7 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs
Oh, I love Water Dogs. I looked up your girl, and she was an AKC champion ahd had all her health testing done. She has at least two champion offspring, so you should have every expectation that there are still plenty of relatives around and being bred. One of her sons (who is a champion, CDX, NA, NAJ, so bravo on his owner) had his CERF updated as recently as last year, so he's probably still alive and contributing to the gene pool. .
Oh, wow! Out of curiosity, how did you find that? My mom is actually a breeder and shows her dogs, I bet you're refering to her dog, Alex (I don't remember his given name). Luckily, I do know where to get my hands on another PWD, I don't think I have it in me right now to work with a puppy I just had a baby last month so I've got my hands full. Lily was ten when she passed, so I just barely had the energy to keep up with her, even in her older age!

Of course, as a breeder I'm sure my mom will have a good idea of when it's right to fit a pup in to my family. Hopefully before TOO long!
#8 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 12:44 PM

I agree with the pp. When you start thinking about it you will be ready. However, considering that you have have 2 little ones I think its good that you recognize brining in a pup right now would be challenging. This summer I said goodbye to my first dog. It was horribly sad. I really missed her and having a dog around in general. Shortly after she died we went on a long trip to europe. The day after we got back I fell in love with a crazy pup at the shelter my mom works at. Having a new pup around did help with my grieving process. I was ready.

Mama to ds 6/00 and dd 1/09
#9 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 PM

Yeah, it's Alex.

The AKC, OFA, and several other organizations have huge pedigree look-up capabilities. I was curious, since you said you'd like a relative, so I looked up her registration # in the AKC database and from there I could chase her and her offspring all over the place. It's not nearly as possible with non-show-bred dogs, since those dogs are usually not shown or health-tested and so the pedigrees are just dead ends, but once a dog enters the show ring there's a huge public paper trail.

Yes, I know you're not looking for a puppy--I wouldn't recommend a really young one with a new baby anyway. When you are ready, I am sure your mom can match you with a PWD being retired from showing and breeding like Lily was--that's often the very best match for a young family looking for a purebred dog.
#10 of 10 Old 09-17-2006, 12:57 PM

When I was in my early 20's I adopted a great older dog from a family with 2 small children. She was perfectly trained, could walk beside me on the street with no leash, came when I called, didn't chew, and when I had to give her away due to a move into a new apartment, she left the new owners across town and was back on my doorstep my morning (we convinced the landlord to let her stay).

A few years later she was stricken with cancer and within a few days of finding out, she was sick enough that I had her put down.

I got my new dog, Jane, a few days later. I missed having a dog around and when I met her at the SPCA, I just knew she was mine. It was a huge adjusted though, to go from an older trained dog, to a puppy who wanted to chew and dig under the fence and romp around the neighborhood, and eat the shingles off the house, and didn't come when I called. So, we spent many Saturday mornings and Tuesday nights at obedience school and she outgrew her need to eat all of my things (including a first edition Edna St. Vincent Millay from off of a bookshelf) and now she is an older, well trained dog.

I guess my point is, and it seems you realize it too, that puppies are a huge adjustment from an older dog whose habits you are used to and who is easy to deal with.

I'm so sorry about Lily, that was a very nice obituary you wrote for her.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page