Mothering Forum banner

Help my cats have fleas!

707 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  thekimballs 
#1 ·
Our cats had fleas when we got them as babies. We used flea shampoo. We used strong chemical stuff you put behind the ears. We've given them baths in dawn dish soap and picked the fleas off. We've rubbed them with diatomaceous earth and put it all over the house, in the litter box, etc. I'm starting to think they are mutants.... Is there some kinda natural flea collars? The ones at the store say not to let kids play with them.... My kids play with the cats so that won't work. Please help!

#2 ·
My cat still has fleas even though she has had a flea bath and had a dose of the advantage. I have cleaned everywhere she lays and vaccumed. I cannot get rid of them either. I do not want to bomb my house because that stuff is nasty and I don't want it in all my baby's things.

Does anyone know of a something I can put on myself to prevent them from biting me?

#4 ·
There are no safe flea collars (or any over the counter flea medicines for that mater!). The only good use for a flea collar is to cut it up, place it in your vacuum bag and vacuum your house. Then toss the entire bag out in the trash so that any fleas that manage to crawl out are outside.

You'll probably also need to wash any carpets/rugs, bedding etc. in hot water.

Have you used the diotomacious (sp?) earth all over your house? I've read you need to firmly brush it into your carpets, let it set for 24 hrs and then vacuum it up the next day.

Hopefully the weather's turning colder where you are, which will also help get rid of the little buggers!

~Julia

#5 ·
Do you know where the cats got the fleas from? If they can go outside they may contact cats out there with fleas and get reinfested so that no matter what you do at home to kill fleas the cats will still be infested - unless winters where you are are enough to kill off outdoor fleas.

#7 ·
have you used advantage? frontline is good for ticks but advantage is the best thing for fleas. let me tell you i have had flea infestations. and the only thing that worked is advantage. i think it took about a week to clear up the fleas in teh house. i didnt have to use the bomb or anything except pieces of flea collar in the hoover bag trick.

honestly for me nothing works as well as advantage.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tips! My male just got neutered and they treated him with Advantage. I better get it for my female. I hope after the initial treatment I can just comb them and use essential oils and diatomaceous earth and keep them under control. I got depressed when I found out that they live outside and the cats keep bringing them in the house. (I don't know if they live outside here, but it wouldn't surprise me.) That's probably why we've had such a hard time getting rid of them.

OT but we're getting a Great Dane! I'm totally stoked about it!

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
OT but we're getting a Great Dane! I'm totally stoked about it!
Can I be a nosy Nora and ask who you're getting it from? I am a Dane breeder and it always makes me both interested (because I know a ton of other breeders and it's fun to keep track of which puppies go where) and nervous (there are SO many bad breeders out there). If you need help, training tips, etc., let me know!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.