Burnt cat paw - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-08-2006, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of the cats M, just jumped up on the hot stove

Ok that isn't quite right, he jumped on the counter, and then started to walk across the stove, he landed one paw on a hot burner. He instantly bolted away. The paw was only there not even a second. He is now hiding.

Is there anything I should or can do? Of course this happens at 7 am on a Saturday. I'm not sure if I should dig him out and look at it or just let him be for a while. I thought about running it under cold water or putting aloe on it but worried the treatment would be worse than the disease.

BTW he is a total indoor cat.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#2 of 3 Old 10-08-2006, 10:46 AM

This happened to my cat about three years ago. He burned all 4 pads of his feet after jumping onto our hot wood stove. I immediately applied ice wrapped in a towel and took him to the clinic. All they could really do is give him a pain relief medication and the put him on a light dose of antiiotics (the skin on his pads was burned off, so he had no barrier against infection, sorry if TMI)
It isn't advisable to bandage, as they wll just rip it off anyway.
It is, as i"m sure you can imagine, very painful for them though so I would take your kitty in, even if just for some pain meds to help him through the healing process.
#3 of 3 Old 10-08-2006, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give the vet a call, I did get to look at the paw, it doesn't look too bad (although I'm sure it's still very painful, burns always seem to hurt worse than they look). The pad is all intact, the "fingerprints" are all there, there are a few small patches that are a little off in color, but there is no blistering and like I said the pad is intact.

He was snuggling with dh for a bit (until dh sneezed) and didn't seem too happy.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page