Do mama cats ever reject a runt that isn't a newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a cat that had kittens recently...... I'd say.... hmmm.... 3-4 weeks ago? I should have marked the day, but I forgot to....

So... there were 6 kittens. We have been handling them, just a little.... always around the mama cat and she never seems to mind.

Today I went out to see them (theyre in the garage).... early this morning, 4 kittens were missing and 2 were left in the box.... just screaming. The mama cat seemed very indifferent and just wanted to get out of the garage and/or wanted attention...

A few hours later now..... there is only one kitten left out that I can find. It's the runt. He really is about 3-4 weeks old now, I can't imagine that she'd reject him this late! I just don't know! He is screaming and shaking.... all alone, and she is just ignoring him. Up until now, she has taken care of her kittens very well.

I feel a little worried for the kittens I can't find, but I'm guessing she probably just moved them -- right? Every time I go out there, I don't even hear the other ones.... and the mama cat keeps hanging around me, so she's not the one keeping her other babies quiet.

What do you think?
#2 of 4 Old 10-15-2006, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First off, you need to get either a large dog crate (enough room for litter, food, water and nest area) or bring mom cat and babies into a room that she can be kept in. (laundry room, guest room, office, low usage bathroom, etc.) She needs to be kept from going outside until she's been spayed or you're going to have more kittens to deal with. She can be spayed when the kittens are between 8 to 12 weeks old.

The benefit to keeping her confined like this is she can't keep moving the babies and hiding them from you and she can't abandon her kittens.

As for her leaving the runt behind, she could sense that he's got some sort of congenital defect, she may not have the resources to care for all 6 kittens, or he could just not be thriving. If you can't find her other kittens right how, he needs to be taken inside and set up in a small warm box. He MUST be kept warm. Kittens that young cannot regulate their body temps, that's what mom does for them until they get older. Get a small box, line it with towels and either place half of the box on a heating pad on low, or make him some rice socks (Socks filled with rice, then microwaved about a minute, make sure they won't burn him). The socks will need to be switched out about every 1 to 2 hours.

Go to this site to learn about bottle feeding an orphaned kitten. http://www.kitten-rescue.com

Hope you can find mom and the other babies and get this guy reunited with her!

~Julia
#3 of 4 Old 10-15-2006, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We found the other babies and we think the mama is taking care of them.... none of them are crying. She just moved them to a more secluded spot. The mom is NOT going outside right now, she is confined to the garage.... but theres a lot of hiding spots in there.

We took the abandoned kitten to Petco to ask them what we could do for him.... those people that have cats for adoption were there. They had a mama cat there that had just had her kittens taken from her yesterday... they were adopted. They put our kitten with her and she started nursing him.
#4 of 4 Old 10-16-2006, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So the rescue group took him then? That's good. It could be that 6 kittens was just too much for mom to handle, so she isolated the weakest of her group.

What's mom eating? it would be best to feed her a high quality kitten food, wet and dry if she'll eat the wet. She needs the extra protien right now.

Glad to hear the garage is enclosed and that she's not let outside. I've heard lots of stories of momcat having kittens in the garage and then she's allowed to still wander the neighborhood. Usually she moves the kittens outside and they get killed by a tom or stray dog and mom ends up pregnant again. No fun for anyone. You still may want to consider bringing her inside, just incase some of those really hidden spaces are dangerous or hard to get to. You need to be able to always have access to her and the kittens without hassel. It also makes it easier to access the kittens so you can handle them as much as possible so they're well socialized.

Good luck with the rest of the little buggers!

~Julia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page