Ringworm everywhere! Help!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We adopted a stray kitten. We've gotten rid of the fleas, the roundworms and the tape worms. She's doubled her weight (she weighs a whopping 2 pounds now), she's happy, she's cute. Problem? Ringworm. Everywhere.

The dog probably has 40 different spots. My husband and youngest daughter each have just one or two spots; my oldest has around 10 (the dog and cat sleep in her room). I am at my wit's end.

I took them to the vet after I realized what was going on, and we have a chlorhexadine shampo--I'm supposed to bathe the dog every three days for two weeks, and the cat every three days for 5-6 weeks!!!!! I'm also supposed to put this antifungal cream on everyone's lesions. And clean the furniture, bedding, everything, every day.

It's impossible. I can't do it. This was the second bath day. I can see NEW lesions popping up on the dog. I literally used a third of a tube of cream on her after her bath. At 5 bucks a tube, this isn't cheap when I'm supposed to apply it 2-4 times a day. My oldest daughter had two new spots today.

Is there a pill I can give everyone? Some sort of antifungal? I'm serious--I can't see myself doing this for the next six weeks, not when I'm not seeing any results, not when the dog and my kid are getting WORSE.

Any suggestions? I'm dying here. I work full time nights, and am in school 7 hours this semester--I'm supposed to be sleeping now, but I can't do the cleaning and animal bathing any other time. DH is helping all he can, but he works more than full time this time of year. Plus we don't ahve a dryer; we just hang everything out to dry, and we just had a cold, wet snap and the laundry is taking for frickin ever.

This sucks. I'm beginning to wish we had just taken the cat to the humane society. We've dropped a couple hundred on her already, and while she is the sweetest thing ever, it is depressing to look at your child in the morning and say, "Oh, well, looks like you've got a couple of spots on your cheek, there, honey. No big deal." Well, it's a big deal to me (at this point), and it's a big deal to my almost teenage dd. She's been a real trooper so far, but if these spots on her face get very big, I know she's going to feel pretty bad about it--I would!!!

HELP ME!!!!!!!! I can't take this any more!!!!!
#2 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 12:51 PM

I wonder what gentian violet would do? I bet it would not be a popular option on your daughter's face- but I would put it on the pets!

Also tea tree oil!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentian_Violet
#3 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 PM

wow, that's a tough one! there are oral antifungals for humans for sure. it's called ketaconazole (brand name nizoral). i would imagine there would be something similar for pets. the pills can effect the liver and i usually monitor liver function for my patients (humans)....not sure what the vets do?! i would keep the lesions on the humans covered so that they are not spreading those lesions to themselves and others. for the pets, can you keep them confined to a smaller area so that you're not having to clean everything everywhere every day? or use covers for the furniture that are easy to remove and throw into the wash. since the cat is requiring the most lenthy treatment, i wonder if she could be boarded or kept somewhere else until she's better so that she's not continuing to spread the fungus. i'm sorry that you're dealing with this :
#4 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 01:00 PM

Ugh! I have dealt with this before and it is no fun, sorry you are going through this! You might be able to save some money if you buy one of the sprays instead of the cream. I found that they go a little farther, as long as your animal will let you put it on them. It may work better for the dog, cats often don't like the psst! sound of an aerosol. You can get them at the store, any of the athelete's foot type sprays with miconazole. When I was working at a vet clinic, we usually recommended shaving the animals with really bad cases, so that you were sure you were treating ALL the lesions. I don't know if you want to do that, depends on your pets and climate! But it did help especially if you have a really long coated animal. Be sure when you bathe the animals to leave the shampoo on for the recommended time too, that's important. There are oral antifungals, if you want them, call your doctor and vet and ask for them. Can you keep the animals contained at all, so that you don't have to do so much washing? At least keep the animals off the people beds? Maybe you could put old sheets or towels out for the pets, something that's easy to wash. Again, sorry, ringworm really sucks! I hope you get through it soon! HTH! Jeannine

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#5 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Call your MD and explain the situation. They may indeed put your whole family on an RX.

For the kids, grownups, cats, dogs, etc. you can get the biggest tube of the cheapest antifungal (often for athlete's foot) and load each spot; be sure to spread it beyond the margins of the spots. Re-apply as the paste gets rubbed off.

Can you crate the dog and cat or babygate them in only one room? That way you can wash the laundry/bedding ONCE (and I'd go to the laundromat and dry all sheets and blankets on HOT) and then don't let the animals up there.
#6 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 01:13 PM

Just an "alert" I just read that wikipedia article and it said that Gentian Violet can tattoo you if you use it in an open sore- so I would really not use it on daughter's face!

I've used it for breast thrush plenty inn the past and never gotten any marks from it- so I think for surface stuff it would be fine.
#7 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Dar

What worked for me was lime sulfur - I tried anti-fungals and chlor-hex and tea tree oil and some other stuff, but the lime sulphur baths worked, and it was very cheap. You can get lime sulfur at a nursery, and I used this recipe to make lime sulfur shampoo. I also made a solution of lime sulphur and water, just diluted it down, and I sprayed him instead of shampooing sometimes - basically I sprayed him down once a week and shampooed once a week. I did use some tea tree oil, too, but I'm not sure if it even helped. I have read online that chlor-hex does nothing. The lime sulphur worked almost immediately; he got a couple more small lesions that were probably there already and we hadn't seen them, but that was it.

The bad thing about lime sulphur is that it *stinks*. Unfortunate, but the smell did dissipate (mostly) after a few hours.

I don't know about your kids, although I did get lime sulphur dip on myself and it didn't hurt anything... but it stained my fingers slightly yellow.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#8 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM

Just a word of warning - tea tree oil and cats don't mix. Tea tree oil will kill your cat if it's ingested, either through the mouth and I would imagine through open wounds. If you bath the cat, make sure it's either vet prescribed shampoo for cats, or another shampoo formulated for cats or baby shampoo.

I second other's advice in keeping pets confined while this is going on. No more sleeping with your dd, no getting up on furniture. Honestly, I would buy a large dog crate for the kitten and keep it in there with food, water, litter and a small bed. No one should handle the pets without gloves on. Not sure the best way to keep the dog confined (not a dog person!) maybe some other people will have ideas on that.

Good luck!

~Julia
#9 of 16 Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Garlic is a natural antifungal and can be used for us humans . Don't think it's safe for pets though. Had a friend a while back who got a cat with ringworm from an irresponsible breeder. The cat had to be shaved, then she treated it topically with creams, and then shampoos every few weeks. My friend did come down with a few lesions on her hands. Important thing too, they told her to wash with cold water (apparently the warm water opens the pores and leaves you suseptible to getting the ringworm spores in there...which she found out afterwards...OOPS). She ate garlic, took garlic pills and everything was gone within a week.

I would definitely isolate the animals, do both the topical cream and the bathing. Wash what you can and vacuum everything very frequently. So sad the kids got it : .

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#10 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and for letting me vent. I feel in over my head right now with all this; it's really kind of depressing!!!!!!

Okay, my plan is to keep the animals out of the bedrooms and off the furniture until this is cleared up. I'm taking all the bedding, pillows, mattress covers, and furniture cushions to the laundromat and washing and drying them tomorrow.

I can't crate them (the dog isn't crate trained), and we dont' have room anyhow-our house a 3 bedroom, 850 sq foot tiny little thing, and there just isn't room. I might call the vet and see if we can go ahead with an oral med for the dog; she's almost three and I think can handle it. I think I'll see what the cost would be to shave and kennel the cat at the vet for maybe the next two weeks until we get this under control. I am also going to call our ped and see about an oral med for my oldest dd, the one with all the lesions. The rest of us don't have too many (though every little spot, every little itch is suspect at this point--it's like when you hear about a kid getting lice, and then you start itching). We take probiotics, and eat lots of garlic in our cooking--I'll be sure to increase our garlicy foods for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the advice. It helps me to have a plan of action.
#11 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 AM

For the humans, TTO and/or Oregano oil works well (the oregano works better IMO, but it's really pricey).

Dar, thanks for the lime sulphur tip, I'd never heard of it! Can you use it on humans?

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#12 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 AM

good, i'm glad that you have a plan! good luck with everything!!
#13 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know if this will help you are not, but it is our tried and true Ringworm cure - prescription strength Iodine. We get it by the gallon from our vet, I think it is 9%, but not totally sure. It is what they use to clean before surgeries. Fill a syringe (I usually use a 35ml, but any size works) and completly saturate the spot of RW, past the edges of the spot. If it is a really bad case, do this every other day for 2-3 times. It takes about a week for the spots to go away, but this will work. You could probably shave the cats and dip them (or pour it on them in the sink).

HTH

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
#14 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Oh, you poor thing. But I can see this sort of thing happening at my house. I'm not sure what's best for ringworm, sorry. But garlic is safe for dogs and cats, though the cats especially may hate you for it. We use raw, chopped garlic stuffed into empty pill capsules when one of the dogs had tapeworms. (The other 5 didn't get it and neither did we!!!) After a couple of days she would hide when she saw me coming with them, but they worked. I think it was 3 capsules, 3X a day for about a week for a 40 lb. dog. Also had very good luck with garlic while staying with a friend whose daughter got pinworms. Daughter had meds from the doc but the rest of us just ingested copious amounts of garlic and tried to keep everything clean.

Good luck, I will send clean, fungus-free thoughts your way!
#15 of 16 Old 10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisandole View Post
Dar, thanks for the lime sulphur tip, I'd never heard of it! Can you use it on humans?
Well, I think you could but I don't think you'd need to, because we don't have fur... they make a sulphur ointment that's basically sulphur in vaseline, and that would be easier and less messy to just put on the lesions, unless they were on the scalp. It made Keith's fur really dry, too, and it wasn't attractive...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#16 of 16 Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
.. garlic is safe for dogs and cats...
Garlic and onions are NOT safe for cats.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm -- a page about human foods that are toxic to cats -- says:

Onions, Garlic, & Related Root Vegetables

Onions contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide) which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.

I have seen this information on many different websites, eg: http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1350
http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/garlic.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page