Any other aquarium owners? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any other fishie lovers out there???

We have 4 aquariums going right now. It's kind of nuts, actually. Three guppy tanks -one for the males, one for the females and one for all the babies. They are all 3 gallons. The male tank has 2 guppies and one molly. The female has 2. And the baby tank has oh, I don't know, maybe 20-30. We're probably going to have to set up a 10 gallon for that one. The male tank originally had 2 guppies, 2 mollies, but one of them was very aggressive, so I moved him to our bigger tank and he's STILL aggressive. So we had to go get another tank to isolate him for awhile until I can figure out what to do with him. I can't leave him in the big tank because we're cycling it right now and I can't risk stressing the fish in there, plus he's kinda not healthy so I think it's best to isolate him until he's a bit stronger.

I am trying to get a 10 gallon going in the kids room. I let the tank sit for about a week, then filtered it for about a day, then added a couple bala sharks, a catfish and a dojo. Too many, I know - the catfish and the dojo will have to be moved to an even bigger tank eventually but for now they are tiny and are so hardy. I think they're good cycler's even tho some may disagree with me. I totally cycled in incorrectly, I know! But so far everyone's good in there and seems to be doing ok.

So that's been going for a week. Today I added a few plants for my poor traumatized sharks (from psycho molly) and some rock salt to all the tanks, just in case he contaminated them. I hope he's not sick. He's looking kinda see-through and his fins are all raggedy Poor guy.

Oh, and we have a huge snail population at the moment. Luckily my dojo will eat most of them, and hopefully the catfish too. I am loving the little dojo, btw. Awesome fish. Adorable, friendly, interesting. Just a cool little guy all around

Anyone else? Talk to me about your fishies!
#2 of 30 Old 10-25-2006, 10:27 PM

I used to have a 50 gal, 10 gal, 5 gal, and several mason jars with bettas going at once but I don't have time anymore with baby, dog, and cat. I sort of miss my fishies! I gave them all to the pet store. I especially miss Stan, my pakistani loach. He was huge for a pakistani loach and he was a real character. Oh well... maybe when the kids are all grown!

Heidi mum to Isaac (06/06), Matea (04/08), and Naomi (04/10)
#3 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 AM

Yesterday, I set up a 17 gallon tank in the kids room. My dad bought some goldfish for our pond outside when we moved in. The weather was getting down below freezing, so I finally brought them inside. So far, so good. It's a very simple set-up. I'd like to add a plant or two, to help keep amonia levels down.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#4 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 08:27 AM

I love aquariums but right now we just have a small betta tank with some snails and a 12 gallon saltwater tank with 2 damsels and 3 hermit crabs.
We're planning on going all out with some tax money and setting up a big saltwater tank but I'm mastering the smaller tank for now

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#5 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 10:51 AM

We have a 30 with: black mollies (3 adults and a baby or two), swordtails (3 adults and a baby or two), 4 khuli loaches, 2 cory cats (they need a school of 6, but 3 of them died for various reasons over the course of a year, I had them in a different tank originally), a rubberlip pleco, a clown pleco and a huge apple snail.

I have a 10 also, but its for hospitalization and quarantine. I had fry in it and my cories and snail, but one of my swordtails got sick so everyone had to go to the 30 so I could hospitalize my sick sword. Now they're all in the 30 and everyone is doing well......so they'll stay there. I take my fry to the pet store when they're big enough.

Yeah, those Balas are gonna need a 50 gallon tank you realize, right?

I LOVE clown LOACHES, but I dont see myself getting a 75 gallon tank any time soon unfortunately. When I first started out, I had a couple.........not realizing how big they get so they had to go back. I had bala sharks too, but a 30 isn't big enough for them either.
#6 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:10 AM

We have a 29 gallon and just bought a 65 gallon and will be tranferring all the fish as soon as we get our hood. We've been cycling the 65 gallon and are afraid that if we put live things in there before we get the hood, our cats will have an accident.

We have 4 discus all around 3 to 5 inches -- a brilliant turquoise, a cobalt, a marlboro red, and a pigeon blood. In addition, we have an inspector pleco, 2 clown loaches, a flower shrimp, and 3 rummynose tetras. We used to have an additional 5 tetras, 2 otos, and a ghost shrimp, but we had to get rid of the the ghost shrimp cause he was eating our tetras (donated him back to the pet store), and I think we starved our otos to death when we replaced our plastic plants with real plants and didn't supplement with algae wafers.

After we transfer everything over to the new tank, we are gonna get new otos, another flower shrimp, 1 more clown loach and a few more tetras. The flower shrimp is really cool -- it's a red shrimp with a stripe down the back. Ours has molted twice already. The loaches are also great snail eaters, and the otos are great at cleaning the algae off the plants.

Quote:
The male tank originally had 2 guppies, 2 mollies, but one of them was very aggressive, so I moved him to our bigger tank and he's STILL aggressive. So we had to go get another tank to isolate him for awhile until I can figure out what to do with him.
Sometimes you get a fish that just doesn't work out. You may have to give him back to the pet store. We had a discus (3") that was very aggressive. He indirectly killed our big 6 inch discus (!) by stressing him out until he got sick and died, and when we got a couple of new discus, he started picking on them too. We even isolated him in a breeding tank for a few days and he tried to attack the other fish through the plexiglass when they swam near him. We finally had to give him back to the pet store before he killed anyone else.
#7 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

We have a 32 Gallon with a Green Spotted Puffer Fish in it.

We let it fully cycle before getting the little guy. Made sure Ammonia was 0 NitrItes was 0 and NitrAtes were 10> before getting him.

He's at SG 1.001 right now. He's a brackish fish. He's not just a eye ornament...he's our real good friend.

Anyway, My advice to ANYONE who is going to start up a tank: RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH..we have the internet now, so it's no longer a shot in the dark, there are hobbyests whom have dedicated their entire lives to fish and which ones are compatible and all that...please, research the fishies before you get them. DO NOT OVERSTOCK...The solution to polution is dilution, frequent waterchanges....Your fish dont HAVE to die...heck, you know the average feeder goldfish can live up to 30+ years if you keep him in the proper size tank with frequent water changes? Yeah.

We also have a teeny 3 gallon tank for snails...just snails, since they are our Puff's food. hehehe I change the water once a week when DH does the Puffer's water.

Oh yeah, the main reason you want to research the fish you get: Stunting. If you get a tank that's too small for the fish, you will stunt it and it will die a really horrible premature death...it's organs will keep growing but it's body wont...and it will die....it's not fun...so that's another big reason to research your possible fishies before buying them, not just for compatibility but to find out how big they can acctually get.

Some fish dont play well with others, some do pretty well in a community tank.

A Liquid master test kit is a must. The strips aren't accurate...the little test tubes with the drops are.
#8 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowansmomma View Post

Yeah, those Balas are gonna need a 50 gallon tank you realize, right?

I LOVE clown LOACHES, but I dont see myself getting a 75 gallon tank any time soon unfortunately. When I first started out, I had a couple.........not realizing how big they get so they had to go back. I had bala sharks too, but a 30 isn't big enough for them either.
Yep, and eventually the dojo will need to be moved outside to a pond. Right now they're all babies, which gives us time to cycle and set up a big tank- (haven't decided on size yet). Don't worry. I'm not about stunting fish
#9 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Yep, and eventually the dojo will need to be moved outside to a pond. Right now they're all babies, which gives us time to cycle and set up a big tank- (haven't decided on size yet). Don't worry. I'm not about stunting fish
If you can get bio-spira where you live, you dont have to wait to cycle. Just put Biospira in, add fish, enjoy!

No other product instant cycles a tank, and it's acctually the ONLY live bacteria cycle. the stuff you buy at the Local Fish Store (From now on will be reffered to as LFS) that's on the shelves are useless. Bio-spira is refrigerated nitrifiying bacteria. Live stuff...

So for future reference, just get a pack of bio-spira that's meant for your water type (they make both marine and fresh Bio-spira) and voila, no waiting weeks while doing a fishless cycle, nor are you exposing your bubble babies to toxins
#10 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I took our guy out and put him in the tank, thinking that would make things better for the other molly, who was still in with the guppies. Yesterday, I was watching and I noticed the two guppies weren't letting him (or her) eat! He was staying by the bottom, and he would try to sneak up every once and awhile and get some food, and the guppies would chase him away So now he's isolated too, just so that he can eat! poor guy.
#11 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, cool! Thanks Pandora! I was looking for it yesterday at the pet store and they didn't have it. But luckily, I happen to be in Hawaii, fish capital of the world. I'm sure they have it somewhere. We are going to set up a 20 gallon for all the guppies this weekend, and I've been checking craigslist for a big tank. Looks like there's some good leads!

I've been really lucky with my "big guy" tank, as they can all supposedly be semi agressive. So far they all get along really well, just kinda all do their own thing. They each ahve their own little personality and my kids are just really enthralled with them.
#12 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:12 PM

We have a 55 gallon tank with 3 sunfish (from a nearby lake), and 1 goldfish. It's a real PITA, but we only clean it when it's dirty (about every couple of months). Our fish are very hardy, going on 3 years old. We feed them minnows from the local gas station. The goldfish has like quadrupled in size, fat little sucker! I'm surprised they've lasted this long .

#13 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_opihi View Post
Ah, cool! Thanks Pandora! I was looking for it yesterday at the pet store and they didn't have it. But luckily, I happen to be in Hawaii, fish capital of the world. I'm sure they have it somewhere. We are going to set up a 20 gallon for all the guppies this weekend, and I've been checking craigslist for a big tank. Looks like there's some good leads!

I've been really lucky with my "big guy" tank, as they can all supposedly be semi agressive. So far they all get along really well, just kinda all do their own thing. They each ahve their own little personality and my kids are just really enthralled with them.
You'd have to talk to the manager of your LFS. It's in the refrigerated section. Dont accept any subsitutes lol. Anyway, if they dont have it on hand they probably could order it for you. But make sure it's refridgerated, if not it's no good.
#14 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmany View Post
We have a 55 gallon tank with 3 sunfish (from a nearby lake), and 1 goldfish. It's a real PITA, but we only clean it when it's dirty (about every couple of months). Our fish are very hardy, going on 3 years old. We feed them minnows from the local gas station. The goldfish has like quadrupled in size, fat little sucker! I'm surprised they've lasted this long .
>.>

You should be doing at least weekly water changes. The nitrAtes can go through the roof and kill your fish slowly. Nitrates are poisons...

If you get a Python hose, water changes aren't so difficult to do....You set up the python, flip the switch, turn on your cold water to drain the tank. Then, when you're ready to fill, flip the switch, walk over to your tank, put in as many pumps of dechlorinator treatment in the tank as gallons approximately taken out, and turn the faucet on and there you go.

Easy water changes. No buckets.

Trust me, if we didn't have to prep our water in advance for our Green spotted puffer, I'd do the changes like that, but he's a brackish fishie..so he needs a set amount of marine salt in his tank.

We need to find a pump soon so I can do the weekly water changes for my Puffer....when DH goes away...I can't lift 5 gallon buckets over my head LOL
#15 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 PM

We have 2 small tanks, 7 gallons. Right now we only have the one up and running, with a single Chinese algae eater. We don't seem to have a lot of luck keeping the other kinds alive We were doing tetras or barbs and never managed to keep any for more than a year. Everytime we cleaned the tank, they would start dying off We had an algae eater for about 4 years, we never cleaned his tank : As soon as we started, he died :
My dh wants a big saltwater tank but I told him he has to be able to keep the freshies alive first
#16 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

Did you put dechlorinator in the water before putting it back in?

you shouldn't take ALL the water out of a tank, usually a %50 water change once a week is just fine for keeping the toxins at bay.

The bacteria that's needed is in the substrate (Gravel) Filter media....and also the remaining water. Bacteria is what converts the Ammonia to NitrItes and NitrItes to the final NitrAte that gets removed. If you wash out the filter media with chlorinated water you kill off all that bacteria, same if you wash the substrate and do a %100 water change. also %100 water changes stress the fish to no end.

So a %50 once a week is a real good start, get a good Dechlorinator water treatment product (it kills the chlorine) a Python hose, and you're all set for a basic freshwater setup.
#17 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 PM

Man I need a python hose.......I do the old fashioned syphon method.......what a pain in my booty.

I'd love to be able to hook up to the faucet and do water changes too.......but I'm stuck lifting buckets. The tank is in Rowan's room......he doesn't have a sink in there.
#18 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Man I need a python hose.......I do the old fashioned syphon method.......what a pain in my booty.

I'd love to be able to hook up to the faucet and do water changes too.......but I'm stuck lifting buckets. The tank is in Rowan's room......he doesn't have a sink in there.
we use our python to just drain the tank. Since Bubbles need a SG of 1.001< we need to prep his water in 5 gallon buckets about 24hrs before a water change so the marine salt can dissolve properly so it doesn't burn his little gill (he only has one set of gills..)

I think once the baby is born and we get a little extra cash DH is gonna get me a pump, because he doesn't know when he's gonna get called to go across country for his next training course, and well, there's *no* way I can live 5gal buckets above that tank's water level to do the syphon in....And the brilliant thing with a pump: I can set it, wait till the bucket is drained, move it to the second, then the third, and voila. Done while nursing the baby lol
#19 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora114 View Post
we use our python to just drain the tank. Since Bubbles need a SG of 1.001< we need to prep his water in 5 gallon buckets about 24hrs before a water change so the marine salt can dissolve properly so it doesn't burn his little gill (he only has one set of gills..)

I think once the baby is born and we get a little extra cash DH is gonna get me a pump, because he doesn't know when he's gonna get called to go across country for his next training course, and well, there's *no* way I can live 5gal buckets above that tank's water level to do the syphon in....And the brilliant thing with a pump: I can set it, wait till the bucket is drained, move it to the second, then the third, and voila. Done while nursing the baby lol
That sounds awesome!! I need some newfangled gadgets!! LOL!
#20 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 07:55 PM

Fish geek here!

I have a 120 gallon freshwater planted aquarium. It has a school of lemon tetras, bleeding hearts, black phantoms, clown loaches, some angel fish, a albino bristlenose pleco, yoyo loaches, banjo cats, and a few left over neons. The lemons keep reproducing. I have a quarintine tank that is 5 gallons that has some more angels in iso. You would figure 2 angels would not fight in 120 gallons of water, but I guess they are both males.

I also have a 29 gallon with some fish I'm sitting for my mom. She is building her house right now.

I also have a 15 gallon nano reef and a 75 gallon reef. These are still in the making. The 15 is soft corals and the 75 has a few sps, lps and soft corals. It will be mostly LPS when I add more. It currently has several nice trumpet, candycane and hammer corals. There is a pair of black polymnus clowns, a bicolor blenny, a clown goby and a cherub angelfish. The 15 has a injured polymnus clown and a percula clown that seem to be doing good together. I have a 30 hex quarintine aquarium for my saltwater.
#21 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:28 PM

OMG, I'd do a saltwater tank JUST so I could have a blenny.........oh man, that is one cute fish!!!!!!!!!!
#22 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

hehehe Well Bubbles is gonna be going full marine eventually

Mmm Protien Skimmer and Live Rock...Chaching.... :
#23 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
hehehe Well Bubbles is gonna be going full marine eventually

Mmm Protien Skimmer and Live Rock...Chaching.... :
Uh oh......someone's got the bug.
#24 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Uh oh......someone's got the bug.
Well that's what he needs when he gets all grown up

The consolation of having a full marine is less water changes are needed because the live rock and the protien skimmer keep alot of the toxins at bay.

One of these days when we get like extra cash (Read when hubby reaches Master Corperal with spec pay lol) we'll probably get a 150 make it full marine and get a baby porcupine puff or a stars n stripes, not sure...

By then we'll have our own real house. So it'll be all good. We're looking at being here for quite a long time....and even then we can move with the fish if we fly out to Greenwood...
#25 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 PM

My dh wants a saltwater tank......at least 150. I told him he needs to learn how to handle a FRESHWATER tank first! He hasn't the first clue.
#26 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

We had a saltwater tank for years, but then dh decided it would be a wonderful idea to get a lion fish. Let's just say we had a lone lionfish for quite a while.
#27 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
My dh wants a saltwater tank......at least 150. I told him he needs to learn how to handle a FRESHWATER tank first! He hasn't the first clue.
LOL Basicly he wants the eye candy of a salty while you bust your hump maintaining it.

LOL

Get a porc if you do go salt. hehe at least the 150 will be big enough for him.
#28 of 30 Old 10-26-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
LOL Basicly he wants the eye candy of a salty while you bust your hump maintaining it.

LOL

Exactly!!!
#29 of 30 Old 10-30-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, my little mean fish died. I know it's silly, but I am feeling so bad about it. I hope he didn't suffer too much. He was looking pretty bad for a couple days - we tried isolating him in a smaller tank with an oxygen stone and rock salt, but I think he was too far gone. Poor little guy.

On the other hand, now that he's out of the tank, my other fish are flourishing. We added some rocks and some plants this weekend and they are doing great I think my little rainbow shark might be blind - it's an albino- he just kind of swims around the tank bumping into things, takes a little nibble and then goes off too something else. He's super cute!

We're getting a 20 gallon for our guppies today!

I'm still looking for bio spora and a 30 gallon or bigger tank. I'm afraid to order the bio online because by the time it got too Hawaii it would probably be rotten. They've gotta have it here somewhere. I'm thinking the tank will be a Christmas gift to myself.
#30 of 30 Old 10-30-2006, 03:54 PM

Aww, that sucks. I don't like losing fish either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page