Help with my crippled cat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-28-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a five-six year old cat who, about two years ago, had a mysterious accident (found him on the front porch, don't know how he got out or what happened) that broke his back low, near the tail. When it happened he couldn't move from about the middle of the back down and was very sick. My boyfriend and I took care of him and in a few months he was walking (and jumping!) again. Unfortunately he can't walk normally, run, or jump more than about a foot high. But, most importantly, he never regained the ability to control his peeing and pooping. We have to "express" (squeeze) his bladder twice a day and the poo, well, kinda comes out whenever it needs to . Otherwise he's a healthy and very happy cat. He's so affectionate and cheerful! But now my boyfriend and I have a baby (3 months old) and we're really concerned. Picking up a little cat poo wasn't such a big deal before we had the prospect of a little baby getting to it before us. I've tried diapers that were designed for small dogs but they just slide right off because his back slopes down since he walks flat on his hind feet. I even tried to make my own but I'm not that talented with sewing. We can't really give him up because no one else knows how to squeeze a cat's bladder and a shelter certainly wouldn't be able to find him a home either. But he's otherwise so happy it's not justified to put him to sleep. We certainly feel responsible for this cat since we kept him when others might have put him to sleep but we didn't know at the time if he'd fully recover or die--the vet never explained the possibilities (I learned later that he never expected Ivan to live). And we actually didn't plan for this baby who has changed everything. We don't know what to do. We'd like to find Ivan a new home, but how? Are there any vets out there who could adopt? Any kind of shelter for crippled cats? Any cat diaper makers, at the very least? We're completely stuck!
#2 of 4 Old 10-28-2006, 03:11 AM

Is there any rhyme or reason to the pooping? Like a few minutes after eating? I guess I'd try to set definite meal times and see if you can confine him to one easily cleanable area until you know he's done his business and will be fine for a few hours.

However, having lived with lots of babies and lots of animals, I have to say that kids get into a lot worse than poop, and that the *real* likelihood that the baby will find it before you do is not that high. There's going to be a period of maybe six months when the baby will think it's a toy, and after that they're very teachable. Right now Tabitha is the poop-spotter of all time (she's two) and will come running, yelling, "Dog poop! Puppy poop! GIRLS! Get the spray!"
#3 of 4 Old 10-28-2006, 03:22 AM

We have a baby on the way and a 2 year old. We just had to make the difficult decision to remove one of the cats hind legs. I was so worried how I would handle it with a daughter but it is turning out ok. I think you might want to just take it one step at a time. As someone who EC'es my kid I understand the poop on the floor issue.
#4 of 4 Old 10-28-2006, 07:37 PM

Have you consulted with a chiropractor? Chiropractic or acupuncture might be able to help improve bodily control.

Maybe you could help the diaper stay up with a harness and some extra straps between the harness and diaper -- like suspenders.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page