My 2 year old Bichon Frise bit my DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

My daughter was trying to pick something up that was on the floor next to the dog's bed. The dog first growled at her, and then bit her on the arm. The bite was minor - it did not break the skin. We yelled at the dog, and put her in her crate upstairs for a time out. Is this something that you can fix with training? She seems to get grumpy with the kids when she is sleeping or resting and does not want to be bothered. In general, the dog is great with the kids. I am at a lose as to what to do here. I do not want to re-home my dog. She really is a very sweet dog.

Thanks,
Lisa
#2 of 2 Old 10-30-2006, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the growl is actually good. A growl is a warning--please stop what you are doing because it makes me uncomfortable. However, whatever has convinced the dog that she has the right to tell the kids off needs to stop. And yes, this is absolutely solveable with training, at least for most dogs.

If you have the money, I'd schedule an appointment with a behaviorist asap. There's lots of advice I could give you, but without seeing the dog I could be reading the situation totally wrong. There's a big difference between a dog who nips because she's ticked off and a dog who nips because she feels threatened. That's why whenever a dog has actually touched a human with its mouth, I advise that a professional see the dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page