Need to euthanize our old dog... please help: DIY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have an old dog who needs to be put down. : She's in pain, and really doesn't have any quality of life yet. It's getting really cold here and she can't come in the house anymore because she is constantly leaking urine.
So... I have a few questions.
First, we would like to do it at home instead of transporting her to some unfamiliar, cold place. I've heard of people putting their own pets down using ether, but I don't know the specifics of how long, how much, where to get it, etc. Does anyone know how to do it, or any other options?
Also, we have another dog, and they have been friends for the younger dogs whole life. Is there anyway to help him cope with her death? Should he be present or would that make him fear or hate us?
I'm so confused.... :
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Call your vet and have him or her either come to the house or recommend someone to come. There's no DIY method anymore that's humane.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Most vets will do housecalls for euthanasia. Also ask to get a sedative pill you can give your dog before the vet arrives. She'll be pretty sleepy and relaxed for the euthanasia. Allow the other dogs to examine her body after she has passed. They will understand.

I know how hard this is, but you are doing the right thing. (((HUGS)))

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 PM

Please don't try to do this yourself, euthanasia is not a DIY procedure and in some areas of the country you could be charged with animal cruelty. Call a vet and find someone that will come to your home to perform the service. I don't know of a vet in my area that wouldn't do a house call for euthanasia or refer you to someone that will.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:52 PM

When it was time for our rott to be put to sleep, I checked the yellow pages and found a house call vet. Actually, we called him a few months before 'the time' b/c our rott was getting bad (had hip dysplasia) and it was extremely difficult to get him in/out of the car. The first visit we had cost about the same as a regular vet visit, the euthanasia visit was around $250, including transport and cremation. It made a very, very hard time easier, knowing our boy wouldn't have to experience the discomfort of being in a strange place for his last few moments.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is so interesting . . . I didn't know it was so common for vets to do housecalls for euthanasia. I wish I would have known this when our dog needed to be put down
Old 11-27-2006, 12:47 AM

our vet does housecalls for euthanasia too. I think it is really common in more rural areas.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:27 PM

I agree....euthanizing your dog is not something you should do yourself. If you truly love your dog, have it done by a competent vet and there are plenty who will come to the home to do it. Just ask your vet and also think about if you want your pet cremated as this can be done very inexpensively and there are various options. Making the plan for cremation or home burial or whatever ahead will make it easier for you emotionally.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I had 15yr cat euthanized a few months and it was very hard.

Take care.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for all your replies. I'm going to call around for a home visit vet tomarow. Thanks again!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 PM

in finding a vet and that your dog is at peace.

I'm sorry for your loss.

User Tag List