We haven't seen our cat in 13 days. :( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sad. He's an indoor/outdoor cat, we've had him for 3 years, and he was a very sick rescue (he had chronic UTIs and peed all over all of our furniture for the first year). Now that he's all healthy, and was finally starting to be a loved member of the family (it's really tough having a kitty with such impossible behavioral problems like those resulting from chronic UTIs), he's gone.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but he's gone! Just like that!

I don't know when to give up on him.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#2 of 10 Old 11-30-2006, 09:41 PM

we just went thru something similar (my post is below). Our indoor only cat went missing in our house for 5 days. But she reappeared today....

See some of the replies to my post "Have meant to post here for ages...", I was given some good ideas in case she was lost outside.

I hope you find him, I will keep my fingers crossed.
#3 of 10 Old 11-30-2006, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, unlike you, we unfortunately were unable to negotiate with our cat and make him an indoor cat. We live in a small city, and we've never been very comfortable with having an indoor/outdoor cat in our area, although there are about 15 cats in the neighborhood that are in that situation (which is why we vax, and get him checked up with the Vet every 6mths), so at least people drive VERY slow around here and are aware of the cats in the area.

He REFUSED to be an indoor cat. We could only stop the flow of urine from him to our furniture by letting him go outside. I tried to just let him go out with us in the morning when I took the dog out, but he would literally cry all night. I never knew cats could cry until we got him. He was soooo miserable, and I couldn't find a country family for him to go live with that would regularly interact with him and bring him to the vet and such. I tried, but seriously, people who take their pets to the vet to get vaxed and checked out are so slim around here even with indoor cat owners, finding someone who wanted a relatively high maintenence outdoor cat was impossible.

The little boy needed his trips to the vet to make sure he was ok. I couldn't think of any better situation, and once we installed a cat door, he was literally the.happiest.cat.EVER.

I just feel, like you, so guilty (only I have more to be guilty about than you do since you kept yours indoors). All I wanted to do was to give this sick little runt a home where he could get the care he needed. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but I spent $2500 on him in 18 mths getting him all fixed up and healthy again. That was over 10% of my yearly grad school fellowship income. I REALLY wanted to do right by him, but now this.

I called the Humane Society tonight, and there are two new male orange tabbies that have come in since I was there on Sunday. I'm going over there tomorrow when they open at noon, but I'm not very hopeful. They were both found fairly far from our home, and each across a major street.

Thanks for the support mama. I'm really just glad my little one is too little to miss him. I think, however, my 10 yr old Lab misses him. She's been moping since we got home from Thanksgiving (when we discovered he hadn't come back).

#4 of 10 Old 12-01-2006, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I take care of a semi-feral cat colony. Two of the cats disappeared for nearly a year. Because they can't be kept indoors and they like to roam, I sadly assumed they had come to an untimely end somewhere. But one returned right back to my yard one afternoon nearly a year later as if nothing had happened. I think she was fed by some other person. The other cat who returned was picked up in my area by the local humane society who called me because the cat had a microchip. You never know. Cats can be strange that way. They can be gone for a while but then return in almost the same condition as before.

Does your kittie have a collar or a microchip? I'm a big believer in microchips as several of my cats have been returned to me thanks to the chip.

I hope your cat comes home soon. Please keep us posted.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#5 of 10 Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 PM

I hope you didn't think I was being critical because your cat goes outside. And boy, do I understand about the litter box lapses. We had two cats that were piddlers, it gets real gross after awhile. We only really lost some throw rugs, but furniture....that's a drag.

Please don't feel guilty either, many people would have just evicted a litter box lapser without making any effort to help him. It certainly sounds as if you did a great deal for your pet - you sound like a caring and compassionate person.

Do check your humane society even if you don't think it's likely, you do read about lost cats who really travel!

I will continue to hope for the best for you.

Janet
#6 of 10 Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

oh, no worries, I didn't think that you were critical, actually the other way around, I'M critical of MY decision to let him go out. If I hadn't let him go out, then maybe we wouldn't be w/o him now. Maybe a house that reaks of cat urine, but we'd still have a cat.

I did go to the Humane Society today, there were 3 new yellow tabbies since Sunday, and none were ours. I didn't tell my DH that I was going to go b/c I didn't want him to be hopeful and then I'd come home with no cat. It was a rough night, I thought about it all night.

#7 of 10 Old 12-02-2006, 12:14 AM

We have a cat who disappear for WEEKS at a time. He would come home then be gone weeks once again.

We where so hoping he would plan his coming home time around the time we would be moving so we could take him with us.

He did

He is a big time hunter so we figure that what he was out doing.

We lived and still do live out in the country.
#8 of 10 Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

momto l&a I'm glad to hear that the cat came back. I'd feel much more hopeful if we lived out in the country. He's a big hunter (brings all kinds of nice presents into our house through his cat door and leaves them for us under the stairs in the basement). He would have loved living in the country, but was sooooo people oriented that he never could have been a barn cat or the like w/o contact with people.

Anyway, I just hope he is still out hunting, and not smooshed on a road somewhere. It's so cold here all of a sudden (like 10 at night), I'm worried for him to be out this much.

Also, we saw tracks in the snow around our house in his usual path (!!!), but my DH had closed the cat door to save on heat, so I'm hoping maybe it was him, but he just couldn't get in. I hope he tries again and doesn't think we've given up on him.

#9 of 10 Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 AM

my neighbor's mom's cat disappeared for over a month a couple of years ago. He made his way home with an injured (vet speculated he was caught somewhere). He lost a couple of toes but is otherwise OK. She reminded me of this when I told her my cat had gone missing.

So, Amy, there may still be a possibility. Cats are funny that way, I think they are more likely than dogs to get home somehow. My dog (before he died in Sept.) had gotten out when one of my sons left all the back doors open. He ended up over 1-1/2 miles from home and was finally picked up by Animal Control (lucky for him!) and brought to the shelter. But he didn't seem to have a clue of how to handle being outside - and this cat did.

Good luck, Amy....
#10 of 10 Old 12-02-2006, 08:43 PM

My cat was gone for three weeks one time. He was an un-neutered tom (bad me, I know). I was sure he was gone. Then one day, I was leaving for work and saw him curled up in the compost pile. He had a big abcess, and was pretty sick, but he was alive. I called work to say I'd be late and dropped him off at the vet (they didn't have an appointment open, but said the dr would see him between appts if I just left him). I told them that if they had to knock him out at any point while treating the wound, neuter him too. They did.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page