Dog itching his eyes, mouth and ears like crazy! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This started back in July, and has been getting worse and worse. He is 2 years old now. He scratches himself until he yelps and is sometimes bloody. I don't know if this is a food allergy that has developed? I don't see any fleas on him anywhere, nor does he exhibit the pattern itching of fleas.

Any ideas of what this could be?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 07:59 PM

That does sound like food allergy. But it could be ear infection, or tooth infection.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#3 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

But what would the chances be of him having an ear and a tooth infection at the same time, because he is itching both.

If this is a food allergy, does anyone have a spot where I can get references for what to feed him as an elimination diet? TIA

#4 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 09:53 PM

I'm just trying not to overlook any possibilities. I'm not implying he has both ear and tooth infections at the same time. He may possibly have one or the other. In either case, the painful areas may overlap. Take a look in his ears. Are they red, painful, smell bad, have discharge? Take a look in his mouth. Are his gums red, swollen, or bleeding? Is there a lot of tartar on the teeth? Are any teeth broken or discolored?

What does he eat right now? I'll try to look up something with totally different ingredients. What pet stores are near you - small specialty, or large chain stores? Are you comfortable feeding fresh raw meat? Would you feed a frozen raw meat diet? Would you only feed dry kibble?

What breed is he? Describe his temperament. Does he eat things he isn't supposed to? What does he get for treats and chew toys? Did anything change in his environment in July? Does he run loose?

#5 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Do you use a plastic bowl? I have seen some cats and dogs have a reaction to some plastics and the rashiness went away after replacing it with stainless steel.
Another question: what breed? Some breeds require washing of folds around the mouth and if he has droopy ears they may get gooky too.
Food allergies usually show as irritation on the back, flanks and tummy.
#6 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Do you notice any hair loss? How about his feet?
#7 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

He's a chow mix....looks like a lab. He's eating out of a ceramic bowl. His penis and his back itch also. I have looked in his ears and they look normal, as does his mouth.

I am not opposed to any certain diet. He was on Iams up until a month ago (since he was a puppy). Dh changed his food and put him on Costco's generic brand (which I wasn't really happy about). I would say that his itching has gotten a little worse since the switch. He gets dry biscuits for treats every day, but I don't think he was getting those in July. He went to the kennel in July, and this is when the itchy ears started. He was at the vet, and they looked in his ears for parasites (because he was shaking his head a ton) and they said they saw nothing there.

I am trying to avoid the vet, since it is $$$$ and dh just got laid off this week. I truly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

#8 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 01:41 AM

I'd like you to eliminate grains first, especially corn and wheat. See if you can find...

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php...D%271246%27%5D

http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/...id=81&code=120

Also check out our sticky for Natural Pet Foods. There are a lot of other excellent brands listed.

ETA: Also no more cheap biscuits. Try freeze-dried beef liver for treats. It's available at most pet stores.

#9 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 03:10 AM

It may not be a food allergy, it could be an allergy to anything. A better quality food is worth a shot though. You can give Claritin or Benedryl to see if it helps w/ the itching but you should call your vet for the dosage amt for your dog.
#10 of 12 Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Someone mentioned to me that this could be mites? What are the symptoms of that? He has lost a little bit of hair around his eyes, but that's only from so much scratching...he's getting scarred up a little.

#11 of 12 Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Thats what I was thinking when I asked about his feet. Usually demodex is most common and you'll see intense itching and hair loss on the face, feet and ears. The skin starts to look like elephant skin after its gone on awhile too. Stress usually triggers it. The vet would need to do a skin scraping and look under the microscope for actual mites.
#12 of 12 Old 12-18-2006, 10:41 PM

ear mites could cause the symptoms that you're experiencing. the only way to diagnose them is to have the vet get a sample from his ears and prep it on a slide to look under the microscope.

otherwise demodectic mange could cause itching and hairloss that would need to be scraped from his skin for a diagnosis.

User Tag List