Build your own cat tower! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Who's done it? What plans did you use? Would you do it again or just fork over the money for one?
#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2006, 06:47 PM

We've built one, looking back we should have just spent the money on the 100 dollar one at Costco. The work/return wasn't worth it, at least for us.

This is what we did, bought at 8 foot 4by4 or maybe it was a 6 by 6 either way.....

We then got a few L brackets and attached it to a large board for the base. We also used some sort of pressure screw thing so that it would be secure from the floor to the celling.

We took some scrap would and covered them with fabric and padding, knoched out slots for the ledges and then covered the whole pole in sisal rope.

The only thing that cost any real money was the rope. It was still cheaper than store bought but, well it doesn't look pretty, and the cat don't use it.

We made it before kids, it was actually way more time consuming than we thought it would be.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM

my folks built us a 6 ft cat tower. It has three levels and a tall scratching post. They used giant cardboard tubes from the middle of wire spools (they do construction). the base is a sheet of plywood, and it's covered with carpet scraps. the post is wrapped with sisal. they didn't use plans, dad just drew something up and built it. Dad said the hardest part was wrapping the post with sisal. They'd totally do it again! The whole thing cost about 10 bucks to build because they had all the stuff laying around.
#4 of 6 Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hm. I'm thinking that, despite my overwhelming frugality, during a major move around the holidays maybe I'm better off just buying the thing.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
#5 of 6 Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM

We built our own and I think it's awesome! It's about 2.5 years old now and parts of it didn't survive the kittens getting heavier or adding a third cat, but the main parts are still there (and the kitties love it!).

we used some left over plywood we had and bought landscaping timber (something like 1.99 for 8 feet at the home despot). The most expensive part was the carpet to cover the base and the top "sitting areas". But I know that we should be able to find carpet scraps for cheaper somewhere.

I did like that we could customize the color and give them a huge long pole of sisal rope to scratch on.

It's def. not as sturdy as the ones at the pet store, but we did buy one from costco, and while the bottom part of that one is super strong, they ripped off the top towers that screw in and we can't do anything to get them to stay. (it was really designed to withstand the force of young kittens, not crazy full grown cats!)

I would def. say, if you build it, remember that big grown up cats will be tearing up and down it. We didn't really think about that and that's why we lost some parts of it.

If you like DIY stuff and can find the materials cheap enough, I say go for it!

~Julia
#6 of 6 Old 12-19-2006, 04:44 PM

We used to have a cat tree a while back (had to throw it out...DH tried cleaning it, the wood underneath got soaked and moldy so we had to chuck it). I bought it at a cat show...I thought it was reasonably priced, had four levels and was pretty high (6 feet or so) for $60.

You can always check out ebay as well, I've seen some really good deals on there. I'm scared off from cat trees now as I have toddlers LOL.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page