What can I give my dog for car sickness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's four and has never "outgrown" motion sickness. He can't even go on a quick ride into town w/out vomiting. We've tried limiting his food and water before rides, ensuring everything was squared away w/his ears, easing him into going on rides (like the day one look at car, day two get in car for few minutes, day 3 ride around the block only, etc.), and we ensure windows are cracked and that he can see outside while we ride, and the ride isn't too hot or too cold him. Poor guy still always gets sick. Is there anything we can give him?
#2 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wish I had an answer for you! I can take the dog on short trips around town but if we get on the freeway or drive for more than, say 15 minutes straight, he vomits.

When we first got him I asked the vet for help and he prescribed a sedative. It made him out of it and he still vomited. I went back and said, can't I just give him Dramamine? He looked at me like I was a loon and kind of laughed and said no, that's people medicine, it won't work.

So we don't take him on long trips.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Dar

You can definitely give him dramamine. Just adjust the dosage for the weight of your dog. Your vet was, um, uninformed... my vet told us we could, and it works, and it's cheap.

Here's one cite; if you google "dramamine dog" you get a bunch.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 PM

My parents once had a dog who got carsick.

One day I had to transport a donkey so I took her along with me. I drove very slowly as it was a windy road and didnt want to upset the donkey or make the dog upchuck. Anyway that was all it took was one very sllllloooooowwww drive. After that she was never carsick again and loved to go for drives. We also had a window open for her. I know my carsickness is made worse but heat and stale air.
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, everyone! I'm going to see if my whole foods store carries MotionEaze or maybe PetAlive, I think it was, or something similar to that (thanks Dar for the search starting point). If not, I'm strapping those wristband thingys for pg sick mamas to be on him, heheh. I have to find something, b/c believe it not, he LOVES to go on rides (and we like travel).

Would anyone happen to have any experience w/the more natural remedies? No worries if not...I can always report back, or always travel w/puke bags, tee hee hee.
#6 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 05:09 AM

Feed very small amounts (a few kibbles at a time, if you feed dry food, or a few tiny pieces of dried liver or whatever you've got around) frequently during the whole car ride. For some reason, that seems to work well for a lot of dogs.
#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Feed very small amounts (a few kibbles at a time, if you feed dry food, or a few tiny pieces of dried liver or whatever you've got around) frequently during the whole car ride. For some reason, that seems to work well for a lot of dogs.
Hey, that's what I did when I was pregnant! Only with people food, not dog kibble...

And it totally makes sense. Dd and I both get car sick and I try to make sure we've both eaten a decent meal before we go on long trips.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#8 of 8 Old 01-05-2007, 11:40 AM

My vet also recommended dramamine, and it does work.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page