My dog has big lumps in her throat!**UPDATE** - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is up?
She's a Bull Mastiff about 3.5 years old. She seemed fine yesterday (except for a sore leg that seems to happen every so often).
This morning, she's panting a lot and drinking more water than usual. She has MAJOR lumps in her throat. (They seem like they are in the same place that a human would have lumps with swollen glands- I get that occasionally). She seems like its bothering her a little bit.
So, can dogs have swollen throat glands? What could this be? Should we take her to the vet asap?

Thanks!

eta- she has 4 marble sized lumps, in a line from side to side at the back of her jawbone/top of her throat. This is wierd. I'm definitely calling a vet!

**UPDATE post 13**

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#2 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do call. It may be nothing more than an infection, but it could also be something much more serious. Keep us updated!
#3 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, dp took her to the vet.
He's doing bloodwork. It's swollen lymph nodes.
Dp said the vet seemed to be leaning toward it being an infection, but also mentioned lymphoma.
Question- if it is an infection, is it best to give antibiotics right away, or to wait and see what happens?
(I'd wait if it were myself or ds, but I'm not sure if its different for dogs.)

Does anyone know how common it is that swollen lymph nodes indicate lymphoma vs. infections? I'd guess infections are MUCH more common, right?
Well, I guess we'll see tomorrow (though I've been reading a lot, and it seems that a lot of first tests come back "inconclusive")

#4 of 24 Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM

I wonder if the swollen nodes are related to her leg problem....... Is the vet aware of her sore leg?
#5 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, he did a check up, and dp mentioned it. He didn't say much about it. But the sore leg is a recurring thing- she injured her leg as a puppy, and now every time she plays too hard, she hurts it again.
sigh. I just really hope its a minor will-be-fine-in-a-week type thing.
On the bright side, she's been acting normal this afternoon.

#6 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 12:49 AM

I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the leg pain is related to the nodes, I would think it is NOT a good thing. On the other hand, it could be a sign of an infection in her leg that you may not have noticed otherwise.

Good healing energy her way......keep us posted!
#7 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 01:05 AM

Does she/Did she have a fever?
#8 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

No, no fever. I was a bit disappointed to hear that. I'd read that infections generally come with a fever.
She's such a good dog. We know that bullmastiff's lives tend to be short, but she's so young!

Here's her pic, in case anyone wants to see. http://www.tripfuse.com/keagan/Dogs/index.htm
It's Brooke. And yes, she only has one eye
We still have Shiloh too. Piper, sadly, got hit by a car last year.

Wow. looking at those pics (they are a year or 2 old) I can see that our dogs have gotten FAT! Good thing I'm changing their diet soon!

#9 of 24 Old 01-06-2007, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

The vet just called. The first bloodwork came back normal- no liver problems, infections, etc. (not positive exactly what else it told us.)
The one that will tell us if she might have cancer or not will be in tomorrow.
I had a hard time understanding what he was telling me (english must be his second language, plus I'm not a vet and I don't know all the terms) but it sounded like he was saying she could still have a throat infection, even though the bloodwork came back normal?
So I guess *tomorrow* we'll know more.

#10 of 24 Old 01-07-2007, 12:29 AM

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you.
#11 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Have you heard anything more from your vet??
#12 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
The vet just called. The first bloodwork came back normal- no liver problems, infections, etc. (not positive exactly what else it told us.)
The one that will tell us if she might have cancer or not will be in tomorrow.
I had a hard time understanding what he was telling me (english must be his second language, plus I'm not a vet and I don't know all the terms) but it sounded like he was saying she could still have a throat infection, even though the bloodwork came back normal?
So I guess *tomorrow* we'll know more.
Yes, she can still have an infection without it showing up. I just went through something similar with my dog Dutch. We did xrays, throat scope, blood work and the scope showed a severe case of laryngitis (sp?) but it didn't indicate an infection at all in the blood work. So- it can still just be an infection! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she feels better ASAP!
#13 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

So, the vet called (a day late) and it is lympho sarcoma (I'm guessing that's the same as lymphoma?).
So...we are going in tomorrow to discuss meds, etc. He didn't sound like he was recommending the chemo route- he said it was very expensive. He mentioned another med, but I didn't write it down (he was a bit hard to understand).
I wish money wasn't an issue. Dp isn't making enough money to support us yet (we just moved here a few months ago), I'm not allowed to work in Canada until I get my permanent resident status, and we have already used up most of dp's inheritance that we've been living off of.
When people say chemo "is expensive" I'm not sure how much "expensive" really is. I don't want to not give her the best life possible, because of money. But we really couldn't afford thousands of dollars- we totally don't have access to that type of money.
Plus...I'm not convinced that chemo is the way to go with cancer anyways (I've been reading way too many natural living things). My grandma who had breast cancer (cured with surgery and radiation) said she'd never never do chemo, and obviously she's stuck by that.

The vet said that diet changes don't make a difference. But I've read that Hill's has a cancer diet for dogs. So it seems that SOME people believe diet can make a difference.
I'm already planning on getting a higher quality kibble like Innova, and adding some raw meals in. (I'm still concerned about missing needed nutrition in a totally raw diet. I know most people who do raw say that's not an issue, but I've been too conditioned by pet food companies...lol).
But I'm wondering if it would be better, for Brooke in re: to the cancer, to just go right away to a grain free totally raw diet.

Anyways, sorry for the babbling. The vet just called a few minutes ago. Dp is at work, so I'm going to have to tell him when he gets home. THAT will be a huge major bummer. Brooke is his first dog ever. This is going to be super duper hard on him. (It will be hard on me too, but I've lost many dogs along the way since I was a child. So I think it will be different for me than for him).

#14 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM

I am so sorry!

I would not do chemo. I'm friends with someone who did the whole shebang with her bitch--chemo and then a bone marrow transplant (one of the first canine bone marrow transplants in the US) and she did buy her a couple of years, but in my opinion it was not worth it. It was thousands and thousands of dollars, I do know that much.

If I had a dog with lymphoma, I'd watch quality of life very carefully and get ready to say goodbye. It usually goes pretty quickly.

Again, I am SO SORRY.
#15 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Oh, Becky! I'm so sorry. :
#16 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gals.

Oh, and I'm a frickin doofus- she's 5.5 years old. She was 3 when ds was born, and ds is 2.5yo.

#17 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM

PM Karen (Puppyfluffer) she had dog with cancer who died fairly recently but I know she bought a decent time and it was good healthy time with diet and some herbs.
#18 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 09:11 PM

I'm so sorry...... :
#19 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 PM

i dont have any suggestions but I wanted to offer a hug.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#20 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
PM Karen (Puppyfluffer) she had dog with cancer who died fairly recently but I know she bought a decent time and it was good healthy time with diet and some herbs.
Thanks for that info. I contacted a butcher and I'm going to pick up some raw chicken backs and other meat tomorrow. I've tried to research supplements, but everything I'm finding for cancer involves a diet with rice and veggies making up more than the meat (and no bones). so...

I figure a raw prey-based diet can't hurt, and even if it doesn't help, she'll certainly enjoy eating it, and that's a huge plus

Does anyone have an idea where I could start looking for herbs and other supplements? I do have cod liver oil I was thinking of giving both of the dogs.

#21 of 24 Old 01-08-2007, 11:41 PM

i'm so so sorry :
#22 of 24 Old 01-09-2007, 04:24 PM

I'm so sorry.
#23 of 24 Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM

I'm sorry to hear your dog's diagnosis - but there are dogs w/lymphoma who've had complete remissions (both w/tradit. & w/alt. med.), so there is hope; here is a website w/a lot of good info: http://cancerfiles.smallpawsrescue.org/
I did do chemo w/a lrg. breed dog of mine, back in '93 - he was treated for a year, then stayed in remission for another 4-5 yrs. after ending treatment.

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#24 of 24 Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, so I've looked through our natural options.
The vet put her on Prednisone, so we're doing that. He really doesn't recommend chemo for lymphosarcoma, and the nurse seemed against it as well. The nurse said that, with people, you understand why you are feeling sickly, and that it is supposed to make you better. With dogs, they have no idea why they feel sicker. kwim? My goal is not so much about prolonging her life, but I really want her time left to be as healthy and fun as possible.

Anyways. I've decided on a part-time raw diet, with Canidae for the rest. I'm going to the hfs and get a bottle of Reishi and other mushrooms (maybe astragalus and cat's claw too- I haven't decided on those, as they both have possible side effects).
I'm going to give her fish oil (this seems to be a common recommendation among online cancer sites), Vitamin E and Vitamin C (at relatively low doses, I think).

There are other herbs and minerals that I've seen recommended by some that I'm not choosing because I'm not comfortable with the chance of side effects.

They (I have 2 dogs) LOVE the raw diet, and they like the Canidae a lot. It's nice to spoil Brooke with food that she really really enjoys!

So, that's it for now. Definitely subject to change, because it's changed three times today. lol.
At least I have a plan...Hopefully it will keep Brooke happy as long as she's living

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page