Hurt dog (open wound), can I treat this at home? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dog came home this morning with slobber on his back and his hair was a bit ruffled. I put him in the house, b/c I was running late. When I got home, he was bleeding on his neck. He has an open wound that's one inch long and open like a circle. It's deep. I can see flesh.

I think it's a bite from another dog, because some bully dogs were at our neighbors house this morning. My dog is NOT a fighter, though. I am a little worried it could be a gun wound too, since it's round. I don't see anything inside, but he's not letting me look at it really well. The slobbery hair leads me to believe it's a bite.

Can I treat this at home? What do I do? My vet is expensive and we don't have the money for this right now!!

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#2 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Well...

The best thing to do would be to take him to the vet. However, I have been in the situation where my dog had a minor injury and I treated it at home. I am not a vet or a tech, so my advice might not be right, it's just what I have done. It sucks that vet care is so expensive. If there is any inkling in your mind that there might be something stuck in there (splinter, bullet), take him to the vet!

Is it on the front of his neck or the back? My dog was playing in the park with another dog, and the other dog pushed Samson into a bush. A branch went into his neck near the collarbone, making a roundish, about inch long hole. I took him to the vet b/c it would not stop bleeding, where they gave him a few stiches. It cost a lot b/c he is a larger dog (anesthesia is quite a lot for him!).

If the dog is not letting you look at it... is he nipping at you in pain? If it's that painful, I would just take the animal to the vet and try to work out some sort of payment plan. Is it gaping open and bleeding a lot or just a little open and oozing? Bleeding more than a little that you cannot stop needs medical attention.

If he was just pulling away, I would take a look. First, try to trim away as much hair from the area as you can. This will help it to heal and also the hair will not get in the wound and irritate it. Wash it. If you can try to irrigate it, that would be best. Put some neosporin on it and if you can bandage it. I HTH.

I have a book called "The Dog Repair Book" that has come in very handy

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#3 of 8 Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Everything said above except scrap the neosporin-it seals a wound and since there's a good chance its a bite, you don't want it sealed. Go get a big bottle of contact lense solution, that is sterile saline and they usually have a squirty tip-squirt that into the hole, over 24 hours you will need to use that whole bottle (get a big one!)
The main concern with dealing with it at home is keeping it clean, that means preferably the coat is shaved around it and irragating it a couple times a day with saline. For the first day I like to follow saline with hydrogen peroxide mixed half and half with betadine--betadine will kill the infection and the peroxide bubbles up and just lifts the bacteria out of the wound (do this outside)
Generally most dog bites can be taken care of at home without antibiotics--but only if you take the time to keep them 100% clean.
If you have a horse supply place near you, Furacin is an excellent salve as is hibitaine ointment.
Can you take a picture of the wound and post it??
If he won't let you keep it clean easily, he needs to go to the vet.
#4 of 8 Old 01-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Oops on the neosporin! I will remember not to put that on the next time we have an injury.

How is your dog doing Pacifica?

#5 of 8 Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 PM

I was wondering how the dog was too...and don't feel bad on the neosporin. It's a common mistake--even among vets. The referral clinic I worked at had a wound clinic, that's the only reason I know for sure, otherwise to be honest, it's one of those debated things, but I have seen wounds that shouldnt' be terribly bad blow up because they were sealed. Neo/polysporin is best left to scrapes or scratches rather than deep punctures.
#6 of 8 Old 01-13-2007, 04:10 AM

My cat got bit by a dog and had a nasty wound on his hind quarters that became abscess after not coming home for a few days. I took him to the vet they put a drain in and stiched it up. I asked them to shave him to make sure there were no other places.. they did not and after another day he had a big raised place on his back. I took him back and it was another abscess that closed back up and they shaved him that time put in another tube. He would have prolbaly died from his wounds but he is still around fatter than ever. (it was a pit bull that attacked my cat in my yard, it was not tagged or anything!)
#7 of 8 Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. When my dh came home, we agreed to take him to the vet. He ended up having 3 other spots (must have been a dog fight). She irrigated it, put some medicine in it, penicillien shot, rabies shot, and anitibiotics for 6 days.

I want the dog repair book, though!!

WTA, no stiches.

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#8 of 8 Old 01-14-2007, 02:01 PM

So glad to hear he is on the mend!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page