Euthanasia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our 9 year old dog is dying from oral cancer that can't be surgically removed. We don't want the last thing we do with him to be dragging him (80 pounds) into the vet's office. There are no vets in our area that do home euthanasia.

We could start an IV on him ourselves. One of my sons is a nurse and another a phelbotomist. Our dog has good veins and is great about getting blood drawn. I have to have home IV medications and we have the equipement we would need.

Has anyone heard of unassisted home euthanasia? How could we get the medication? Could it legally be considered neglect? If we can't do it ourselves, are there antianxiety meds we could give him so the vet visit isn't so traumatic for him?

The tumors are hanging out of his mouth and are beginning to bleed easily. We will need to do something soon, probably should have already done it. However, he doesn't seem in pain unless something touches his face and he can eat and drink.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 PM

I don't know how you would get your hands on some Euthanol but I think doing it at home would be acceptable, if it were possible. When euthanized, they are giving an overdose of a barbituate which causes their heart to stop working. I guess any drug, given in a large enough dose could serve the purpose. If you do end up taking him to the vet, they should be able to give you some diazepam to administer at home to sedate him so it's not so traumatic. So sorry you and your pup are going through this.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 PM

I would re-visit the idea of coaxing a vet to your house. It's possible somewhere out there is a vet who does not officially offer that service, but would come out to your house if the dog was in a severe enough state.

I know nothing about home euthanasia. I would be worried that without experience, it could go badly.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Old 02-05-2007, 11:32 PM

I agree with heartmama. The hard fact is that even with euthanol, it doesn't always go perfectly, I'd be horrified to think you were doing it at home just hoping for an od, kwim?
My guess is that if you start calling around to vet clinics asking the question above...someone will have pity and come out to your house.
Failing that though, how about placing an IV at home and having the vet come to your car to put him down? Is he upset by leaving the house or by actually going to the vet?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM

If you can't find a regular vet to do it you may be able to get a large animal vet to do it. They are mobile vets mostly anyways.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM

The real problem with home euthenasia and why vets don't usually do it is because the active pharmaceutical is a controlled substance (as a street drug it is sold under the name "special K"). They could get into a lot of trouble for doing it.

There are definately meds that they can perscribe to make transport easier. One of them is called "Ace" (can't remember the whole name) and is given orally.

I'm really sorry to hear about your pooch . to you and your family.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Ketamine is used in anesthesia, but although it could certainly kill a dog I don't think it's euthanol. Isn't Beauthanasia (such hideous names for the drugs) something like sodium something and pentobarbital?

Anyway, your point still stands. They ARE controlled substances.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 PM

I think you should call a large animal vet. They do carry euthanasia solution in their truck. It is a controlled substance, so I don't think you'd be able to just get some.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Ketamine
I believe this is what was used where I worked. There seem to be different kinds though.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:43 PM

Ketamine is a dissociative drug used for anesthesia...it would take a large amount and probably a long time to kill an animal. We never use it for euthanasias.

Beuthanasia or Fatal Plus is pentobarbital. It is used in a concentrated form and thus a huge overdose is given.

Please, please do not do this yourself. Not only could it be very traumatic on family members if it does not go smoothly, but I have no idea who is going to actually "dispense" beuthanasia to you. If caught, they will lose their license and go to jail. If, and I know this is a big if, you fell on the needle, the dog jumped and you injected yourself, etc., you could kill yourself or at least inhibit your breathing.

Call each vet in your area and explain that you will pay (because of course you'll have to pay more for this) whatever they want for them to do a home euthanasia.

I guarantee that you will find one, and if you don't, please PM me and I'll find one for you.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 PM

I have never heard of using Ketamine for euthanasia. That just doesn't sound right at all. Ketamine is a dissociative anesthetic. It just makes an animal less aware of minor surgical procedures like debriding a wound. And in cats if it's not used along with a muscle relaxant it will make them crazy hyper.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:06 PM

I too have never heard of Ketamine being used for euthanasia, that would be a horrible death and would take a long time--even with overdose.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 AM

[QUOTE=Marvelleaux;7223999]
There are definately meds that they can perscribe to make transport easier. One of them is called "Ace" (can't remember the whole name) and is given orally. QUOTE]

It's Acepromazine..... I believe it is in the same drug family as Diazepam, Lorazepam, etc.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 AM

How about something like a "Vet on Wheels", a traveling vet? You may have to search surrounding areas, but they're usually more than willing to drive a few extra miles. Or you might want to call the local Humane Society and ask who their "on-call" vet is. I know out here the HS doesn't usually have a vet on staff, but one they call out when they need to... they may be more willing to make a house call.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM

I agree with Cristeen. I would call the local shelter or spay/neuter clinic and ask if they know anyone. We have a mobile unit that makes the rounds to all the shelters (for all vet care) and some stores (for vacinations only).

I am very sorry you and your dog are going through this. My dog has inoperable cancer too, and it is one of the hardest, saddest things I have ever experienced. I hope you find someone to help you.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 PM

Have you ever euthanized a dog before? I have so I wanted to offer some advice.

I understand how you feel about dragging him to the vet. But that said, when I took our dear Molly of 13 years it was really less dramatic than I thought. At first the vet will give her a sedative and that works pretty fast. They calm right down and are a bit sleepy. This way you can hold your dog or sit with him etc to say your good-byes without him being upset and scared. Then the vet will ask if you are ready and then administer the dose of medication that euthanizes. It is fast and painless and your dog will not suffer.

I hope you can come to a conclusion about this that works for you and your dog.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is not easy for anyone. My thoughts are with you and your family friend. Hugs to you.

goorganic.jpgsaynovax.gif Daycare Provider Who Strives To Encourage Children To Follow Their Innate

www.allnaturaldaycare.com
Old 02-07-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
I don't know how you would get your hands on some Euthanol but I think doing it at home would be acceptable, if it were possible. When euthanized, they are giving an overdose of a barbituate which causes their heart to stop working. I guess any drug, given in a large enough dose could serve the purpose. If you do end up taking him to the vet, they should be able to give you some diazepam to administer at home to sedate him so it's not so traumatic. So sorry you and your pup are going through this.
I wanted to apologize if my previous post sounded non-chalant. I worked at a vet's office for over 8 years and euthanasia was a daily job for me. We did many home euthanasias so that was where I was coming from when I responded. Again, sorry.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Our large animal vet has euthanized several of our dogs at our home and it's totally legal and possible. There are two drugs involved- one puts the dog to sleep and the other stops the heat from beating.

...and the sweet precious man that he is... cries every time.

I hope that you can find someone who can come to your home. I would suggest that you may be getting a "no" answer because Vets are used to people being stingy... I think if you called a large animal vet and said, "I would like to schedule a farm call to euthanise..." they would understand that you are willing to pay for the entire cost.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005mommyto1beauty View Post
Ketamine is a dissociative drug used for anesthesia...it would take a large amount and probably a long time to kill an animal. We never use it for euthanasias...

It's very possible that I was wrong about what was being used. I hope it wasn't Ketamine.

User Tag List