Any other Westminster junkies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 02-12-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I LOVE WKC show...every year I must obsessively watch it and comment to my *mostly bored* husband. Ds only likes Dalmatians (which are usually on for a very brief moment) and Ridgies so he isn't that interested in watching the whole 6 hours with me.

I can't be alone in my love of this show...not on this forum! Come on and post!

I read on msn that Bill Cosby's Dandy Dinmont might actually have a chance?! WOW. Dare I hope that a terrier will not win best in show tomorrow night? I am the type to root for any non-terrier to win! Enough already, 42 wins or something like that.

Goooooo Hounds! (Yeah right, I can dream okay?)
#2 of 54 Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Do you watch the breed videos online? That's the highlight of my month, watching as the breed videos are uploaded. The Group competitions are extremely interesting, but being able to see an entire ring full of Dandie Dinmonts or whatever is so. cool.
#3 of 54 Old 02-12-2007, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Joanna, I can't-at work! DANG IT that does sound neat. I would love to see the ridgies.
#4 of 54 Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 PM

Ah, fellow dogophiles! Glad to have found you!

What did you think about last night? I think the Akita looks really strong--she's absolutely gorgeous and has fantastic movement. I don't like the Dandie Denmont, personally, but that's probably just preference. And I am anti-poodle.

Looking forward to the hounds tonight--they are my second favorite group (after my much beloved working dogs).
#5 of 54 Old 02-13-2007, 09:36 PM

I'm such a cat person, yet I did switch it on Universal HD last night. Nothing like HD programming to make you feel like you're right there. Watched the best of the toys. It was interesting.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#6 of 54 Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 PM

I'm watching right now.

I just learned that the Irish Wolfhound should be fast enough to catch a wolf and strong enough to kill it. Yikes.

I like the long haired dachshunds. I don't like wired haired things, and most hounds (especially slobbery ones).

My dog is a husky/shepherd mix, and those are the face I like, long nose pointy ear, curved up tail. Lots of fluff.
#7 of 54 Old 02-13-2007, 11:37 PM

love it and watching it now too

my pup is a sheltie
#8 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 AM

I love the Dandy Dinmont Terrier! (The little grey guy with the funny white wig and pigtails)

He is so cute and looks like a little english judge.
#9 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 AM

I don't usually watch because everytime I turn it on, it's always the dogs I am not interested in. When are the big dogs going to be on? Those are the ones I like!
#10 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just watched the PWD video online last night. I knew someone who was showing her dog! So cool.
#11 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well..I did love the Akita but I had a feeling it was going to be the Springer Spaniel. I punched dh when they announced the winner, SEE! I WAS RIGHT! just like my 3 year old does.

I am honestly so tired of terriers winning...I always root for the hounds, 24 years without a best in show win. But it was nice to see some new faces in the BIS along with the ubiquitous standard and toy poodle every year.
#12 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 AM

The big dogs are on first thing, sadly. The working group was strong, too, it's a shame you missed it.

I predicted the winner as well, though honestly I thought the PBBV deserved to win. He was such a perfect little show dog. But hounds never win. Bums me out.

My permanent dogs are a Wolfhound mix and an Anatolian Shepherd, so you can see where my heart lies. My current foster is a bassett/foxhound mix.
#13 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I thought the working group was one of the best groups of the whole thing. Of course, I always pay particular attention to the hound group. I was disappointed in the Rhodie...he won out over 50 other Rhodies in the breed showing!!! the biggest breed entered WOW, are Rhodies becoming popular now? But when the time for group came, he looked listless and rather bored. Maybe the huge breed judging took too long and took it out of him. I did notice that his sister got an award of merit or whatever so that is great for that kennel.

Okay, I know no one wanted to talk about the Ridgies but I had to get it out somewhere! :
#14 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 AM

I'm fine with talking about the Ridgies! I felt the same way--he was a gorgeous dog, but wasn't showing well and did seem listless.

The Wolfhound was one of the better show Wolfhounds I've seen, but very small. The Deerhound, Margot, I've seen several times before and think is a beautiful dog.
#15 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:51 AM

I used to be fairly addicted to dog shows of all sorts, until I owned an Australian Cattle Dog. They NEVER place. Not EVER. I've never seen an ACD get anything other than best in breed, obviously.

It makes me wonder if the AKC should start working on a new standard for the ACD.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#16 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Isn't that the truth? You root for the dog you have, and unless you own an poodle, terrier, or toy...9/10 you're gonna be disappointed at Westminster.
#17 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM

The reason I like to watch it is less because I root for "my" breeds (somehow, I don't really think the Anatolian is ever even going to win the group) and more because it introduces me to the beauty and good attributes of breeds I wouldn't normally think about. For example, the spaniel that won last night--I'm not a spaniel-type person, but that was a gorgeous dog (even though I think it shouldn't have won over the PBGV).

That being said, I always harbor a secret hope that one of my pet breeds will pull an upset...
#18 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I agree with you AO...I just appreciate the beautiful dogs that are at the top of their game. I don't watch the toy and terrier groups though...although I was rooting for the bull terrier who won BIS last year...somehow you can't hate on a dog that cute
#19 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I don't watch the toys either. They just don't do it for me. I'm a fan of some of the terriers, though. And I get really bored during the very very long spaniel section. How many different types of cocker spaniel are really necessary?
#20 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my GOD I was thinking the same thing. Why not just have a spaniel group? Seriously.
#21 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM

Oh my WESTMINSTER!! Yeah I'm addicted. I only saw a total of about an hour and a half this year, but man I love that stuff...

The hounds are my favorites. Gotta love the hounds! I love the ridgebacks!! I was really surprised, too, that they were the largest breed group at the show??!! I didn't realize that they were so popular. And the foxhounds!! I. Love. Foxhounds. I also love to watch the working dogs...I'm fascinated by dogs with jobs....I don't care for the terriers too much : except, of course, for the bully ones...the bull terriers, the stafordshire....

One little guy born 6/17/07 : :
#22 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 02:30 PM

Just curious, but when a breed wins at Westminster, does that have the same effect on their popularity as a breed appearing in a movie or on a tv show?
#23 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM

I keep watching the breed videos- but I can't make myself watch the toy breeds I keep watching the Danes and Mastiffs over and over and am ready to wet my pants, waiting for my puppy is making me crazy! I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it is for the handlers, though. Joanna and whomever else shows, do you get super nervous, or is it all fun?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#24 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:00 PM

If you'll let me get all teacherly for a minute, the development of breeds and varieties is actually quite interesting. For the cocker spaniels, for example, they all used to be just cockers. One dog would be represented as best of breed. But then two things happened--and I don't know which happened first, because I'm not a cocker historian, but I would guess they went in this order:

(before all this happened, cocker and field spaniels split; they used to be considered the same breed, but the heavy ones became the Field Spaniel breed)

1) The members of the Cocker Spaniel breed club began to disagree on the way the breed should go. There was a group that favored the gloriously showy tons-of-hair, carefully stripped and clippered and trimmed, extremely showy movement cocker, and that breeding for a smaller, cuter head was part of that. The other group disagreed; they wanted a more fieldy spaniel who was presented naturally, and liked a longer head. Eventually the split was (I would guess) acrimonious enough that the longer-head breeders split off and petitioned the AKC to let them form their own breed. This is not uncommon in breeds--the Toy Fox Terrier and the Rat Terrier were originally the same breed and split as the TFT people thought that the dogs should be smaller, and the Pembroke and Cardigan corgis were registered together for a few years too (though in that case there was very little interbreeding at any time, because the two types were so different and the breeders of each thought that theirs was superior and wouldn't have anything to do with the other).

Anyway, the longer-faced-spaniel breeders named their breed the "English Cocker Spaniel" to emphasize the fact that they believed that theirs was the original and most true form, and the American Cocker Spaniel people went on to change the form of their dogs to one made especially for family companionship and for optimal beauty. Very few are still hunted.

2) The American Cocker Spaniel club began to naturally restrict itself into color "families." The black and black-and-tan group bred to each other's dogs and maybe the buff ones, but they didn't breed to the parti-colored dogs. There was also a marked preference on the part of the judges for particular colors. It began to feel to certain breeders that they could NEVER win. So they petitioned to have different varieties for the breed, forcing the judge to pick one black (or black-n-tan), one that was any other solid color (almost always buff) and one that was parti-colored. In that way the other colors could get championships and could have a chance in group competitions.

So you go from one breed (small flushing spaniels) to three breeds (English Cocker, American Cocker, Field), and additionally three varieties within those breeds. So yes, once you add in the large flushing spaniels (English Springer, Welsh Springer) and the heavy spaniels (Sussex, Clumber) there are a bunch of them in a row! It's all because those breeders were passionately dedicated to the idea that their version of the flushing spaniel was the very best to encompass flushing spaniel type.
#25 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:01 PM

I wasn't able to watch, but my mom made sure to point out to me that a spinger had won it. We have a springer. I LOVE them.

Mom to K (06.23.06) & A (09.13.09)
#26 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I like the IDEA of that Joanna...but watching it...I mean I guess if you are breeding or showing cockers it's one thing. But I am just : yelling at the TV, PLEASE get on with it already!

I would like one westminster for all the dogs who have never or rarely one, and one for all the groups who routinely win. That way, the hounds and working groups would have a chance to actually hold a blue ribbon at the end of the night...and the terriers/toys/non sporting groups can have their yearly win, too. Sound like a good idea?
#27 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM

: Cocker Historian :
#28 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I keep watching the breed videos- but I can't make myself watch the toy breeds I keep watching the Danes and Mastiffs over and over and am ready to wet my pants, waiting for my puppy is making me crazy! I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it is for the handlers, though. Joanna and whomever else shows, do you get super nervous, or is it all fun?
It depends on whether you have a personal stake in any of the dogs. If one of my dogs are out there, or if I see a dog that really rings my bell or that's doing something very important for the breed (if a natural-eared Boxer gets out there, for example, or an uncropped Dane) then of course I'm tense. You sit there and just vibe the judge as hard as you can--point to that one! Come on, point to that one! I realized just HOW tense when I was showing Clue myself--I realized as I was walking in for my class that I was shaking so hard that the leash was rattling! I wasn't nervous, just very concerned to do the best by her.

If I'm watching a group that I'm unrelated to, I get excited because I can feel how hard the owners are wishing and hoping, and because the dogs are so gloriously on edge (because they know it too), but it's not the same level.
#29 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM

Aww! Martha has the Springer that won, her Frenchies, and her Chows on her show right now!

(I think Frenchies look like pigs! We have one that goes up to our local dog park.
#30 of 54 Old 02-14-2007, 04:49 PM

I'm with you, Racheepoo. I'm sure all those different cockers and other spaniels are fascinating for people who are into spaniels, but they seem to take forever to me. Especially given that there are whole breeds the AKC refuses to even acknowledge, and other breeds that could be split into several categories and haven't been.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page