Introduce your pets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a newbie, and I am a huge dog freak (and also a big fan of cats). Since there are clearly some likeminded souls here, I was wondering if y'all would be interested in introducing your pets?

I'll start with mine. I have two full-time dogs, two full-time cats, and one foster dog.

First, Leo, a seven or eight year old Irish Wolfhound/? mix, rescued about a year and a half ago:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/48...338c20.jpg?v=0

Secondly, Atakan, a two year old (ish) Anatolian Shepherd, rescued a bit over a year ago:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/73/16...8493a5.jpg?v=0

Next, Atticus, a two year old (ish) tabby cat, rescued about a year and a half ago:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/22...190ff1.jpg?v=0

Finally, Esme, a year and a half old (ish) tortie adopted from friends a few months ago:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/107/2...b99415.jpg?v=0

And then our foster, Friday, a yearish basset hound/foxhound mix, who has been with us for about a month:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/3...8ae12a.jpg?v=0

How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:23 PM

your animals are all so cute (and yay for foster pets)!!! here's my pups http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9.../poopi2004.jpg it's sort of blurry, but it's one of the only ones of all three together where they aren't sleeping

from left to right, Packzi (pronounced poohnchski--a polish donut) a chihuahua pug mix that we adopted (his ears only stand up when he's looking up like in that pic); then there's Heidi in the middle, she's a boston terrier who we adopted from an elderly couple who couldn't keep up with her; and finally Jimmy the beagle, he's a total cutie-pie that we adopted from the SPCA when we lived in North Carolina
#3 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

It is likely that our next foster will be a beagle (we're working with a hound rescue). I'm concerned about the barking and energy level. What is your beagle like?
#4 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:26 PM

I'll play! (And it's nice to see you here, AO!)

turtle and I share the hatchery with five cats, presented here in approximate age order.

Mason, the 22-pound Siamese mix male. We're not sure why, but he speaks with a German accent, and has a penchant for hot-pink pleather hot pants. His middle name is Winston, after the dog a few weeks ago on Beauty and the Geek.

Kissa (KEE-suh), the 8-pound brown tabby I adopted at the same time as Mason. Her name means "kitty" in Finn, and she's named in memory of my Aunt Aune, who taught me to love cats and always had a tabby named Kissa living in her home. Kissa likes high places, paper bags, and snuggling any time and any way she can get it. She chose the shorts I'm wearing in this photo (there's GOT to be an explanation) and her middle name is Marie, for reasons that are not totally clear.

Sevyn, turtle's 20-pound polydactyl mancat. He's got seven toes on each front paw and also answers to Crab-Claws, Catcher's Mitt, and Freak. He loves to torment Kissa and hides under the covers when people other than turtle and I are in the house.

Tamarind, the babymancat. Tam's not yet a year old and is a total lovemuffin. He's starting to realize how big he is and is using it to full effect, hassling Kissa and his baby sister. He's yet to acquire a middle name and sounds like he smokes a pack a day when he meows. He's my heart.

Lychee, the babygirl and turtle's wild child. Weighing in at something under 6 pounds, Lychee's sure the household turns on her whim and she's pretty much right. She's the only cat in the house for whom Mason will pull his big head out of the food bowl.
#5 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazerific View Post
from left to right, Packzi

I knew you must be in or near Detroit when I saw this name! I'm a few towns to your west.

ETA: AO, I can't believe how big Atticus is! He's gorgeous.
#6 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 PM

Welcome AO! I love to post on this forum, but no pets currently.

Three years ago I lost my Ridgie Josie to cancer at age 11. Since then I've been focusing on finding the perfect dog for our lifestyle (definitely NOT a Ridgie although I have a serious soft spot for them) and educating myself about all things I did wrong with her that I won't do with another dog. Our goal is to get a dog this summer, sometime.

Your pets are beautiful. Thank you for sharing their pics!
#7 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...DSCN0125-1.jpg

Here's a pic of my Sammy, she's a bit of a geriatric cat...she's a retired top show persian I've had for many years now. She has AWESOME type, back in the day she had many best cat awards. She has a more gentle and reserved type of personality, she is GREAT with the kiddos, always has been. A very quiet personality. She stays in the background most of the time. She's the kind of girl who sleeps pretty much ALL day, and we just see her at night. She used to be the companion kitty to my Nicky, who passed on early last year. My breeder friend who I used to work with had gotten out of breeding and didn't want to keep Samantha as she didn't get along with Nicky's mom. She got along with Nicky really well (which says a lot, he was such a goofball...and loud ) so she gave her to me. And, they really had a great relationship. I think it was really hard on Sammy when Nicky passed. :

Then, there is HEAVEN. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...y/DSCN0885.jpg Her name is so fitting, as she had to have been sent from above! We adopted her at the end of last year, her personality is just outstanding. She is super loving, playful, outgoing and affectionate. She talks to you...just the right amount of talking . At night, when I am doing stuff she follows me around (follows DH sometimes too if I am vegging on the couch ). We play with her all the time, and she even makes up her own "toys." She's known for stealing the kids toys and playing with them . She just is pure joy and being around her just makes everyone smile and feel good. I can't talk about her enough. When Nicky died last year I was so sad, didn't know if I would ever find another special kindred kitty spirit to share my life with. I was so sad at his loss...he was such an awesome cat that I grieved his loss immensely, it was so tremendous.: Many months after he died, I pushed myself towards looking for another cat. I sent several emails out to breeders who I knew were reputable, describing my family situation and the personality type Nicky had (which I was looking for a similar outgoing/affectionate/lovable kitty personality). I originally started out looking for a white, but I left myself open to just going for a cat which had a super awesome personality. I found Heaven that way, I waited several months for her (she was raising a kitten), and when she came I was in awe of just how wonderful she is. I admit I still am. I am so madly in love with this cat it's not funny .

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#8 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM

Owen, my terrier mix. We adopted him from a shelter. He's four, and we *think* he's a mix of Jack Russell Terrier, Rat Terrier, Feist, and something feline. He's very flexible, curls into shapes I've only seen cats accomplish. Plus he has meowed on more than one occasion. This is the only decent picture I have of him, as he is afraid of cameras (you can see he's already poised to run). All other pictures are mainly of his butt as he runs to hide under the bed. Nicknames include Little Man, Kitty Kitty, and Prince Prissy Paws.

Pagan, my German Shepherd. She's seven, and she's a very big baby. Nicknames include Wafflenose, Monkey Butt, and Princess Pooty Pants. She loves butt scratches, mandarin oranges, comfortable couches and long walks in the rain. She is NOT afraid of the camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/96025878@N00/390251118/
#9 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 PM

Owen is just beautiful!
#10 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

He is adorable. Is he high energy?
#11 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
He is adorable. Is he high energy?
Surprisingly, no, not if he gets enough time outside. Occasionally he'll get hyper and tear around the house like his butt is on fire, but it's not an everyday occurance.

He's asleep on the chair right now. lol
#12 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Owen is just beautiful!
Thanks! He thinks so too! lol
#13 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:53 PM

We have a standard poodle, Jericho. He came to us from a breed rescue. We're his third home and we adore him.

He's fond of kale spines, leather couches, and hiking. He's less fond of vacuum cleaners, Ikea furniture assembling, and fennel.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#14 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Jericho's gorgeous! I don't blame him about the fennel.
#15 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

aw this made me sad because I have no pets to tell you guys about im hoping to get a dog at some point this year though *sigh*

esme is a very unusual colour, very cute pets!
#16 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:08 PM

We have Winnie an 18 month old German Shorthair. Pautzke a 1 year old terrier/poodle/border collie/???? (she is my true american mutt). Murphy a 11 week old white lab. And Callie our kitty she is an adoptee so we are unsure of her age. We also "technically" have a Chessie but when father in law's Chessie died 3 years ago he started hunting alot with O'malley and They just became inseperable... so he lives a few miles away with Papa.

I will upload pics when I have a chance.
#17 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:15 PM

This is Tiger. She is our almost-3-year-old rescued Dane. We thought she was a dumb dog, but oh no. We have come to realize that she is an evil genius who will stop at nothing to find new ways to get into the trashcan. When she is caught, she feels horrible about it and a simple "What did you doooooo?" will send her off to her bed to sulk. She is my 4yo dd's best friend in the whole world and they play together all the time. She is very patient with her and has been known to wear tiaras, earrings, headbands, skirts, and ponchos, but only for dd - never for us. She is the best dog in the world and better live forever because there will never be another like her. We could not have asked for a better furkid for our family. Yes, she can be a PITA, but so is my kid and I still love her madly! (Bet you never thought I'd say that, huh Danemom? )

This is my firstborn furchild, Guinness. She is a 9 year old, teeny-tiny, 6-ish lb. Manx. Dh didn't really want me to get a cat, so he told me I could only get one if I could find a black Manx. ISYN, not even a week later, I found her and adopted her from the cat rescue at Petsmart! She follows me everywhere, she won't let me knit because it takes attention away from her, she is still mad at me for giving birth 4 years ago, she used to "discipline" my dd by smacking her on the head whenever she would throw a tantrum. She's a cool little kitty. She likes to sleep with me under the covers next to my leg and has never once complained about me rolling over on her. Oh yeah, and she is obsessed with fried chicken!
#18 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:17 PM

I LOVE that photo of Tiger and your daughter. So happy!
#20 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
And then our foster, Friday, a yearish basset hound/foxhound mix, who has been with us for about a month:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/139/3...8ae12a.jpg?v=0

How about you?

Okay, Foster is sooooo beautiful! Where do you live?
#21 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Austin, Texas. Are you nearby? Looking?
#22 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Here are SOME of mine

http://tnrgliders.com/index.php?modu...unc=main&gid=3

All the cats and dogs are rescues in with their own crazy little stories. The rabbits are all pedigree show rabbits but they'll probably never get shown again and my rabbit Livingston (a 14 lb flemish giant) is neutered now.

I'll try to get the rest uploaded to my website today. And better kitty pictures too.

Mom to DD 14 and DS 12
#23 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM

I have a kazillion pictures in my signature links, but right now we have

-at home: Clue, 7-mo-old Cardigan Welsh Corgi. She is our first foray into dogs under 50 lb and we LOVE her. She is the most in-tune-to-me dog I've ever owned, and super fun and clever.

Tosca, 9-year-old Maine Coon Cat. She has no need for people. She loves sleeping on the kids' legs at night, but otherwise spends most of her time upstairs where she can't be touched or looked at too hard. She's not scared, just aloof. She got that way after she ran out the door and didn't come back for a YEAR. We thought she was dead for sure, but she had just gone feral. But then one day we saw her in our woods, and we captured her and reacclimated her to the house, at least as much as she will be acclimated! She's happy, just not cuddly.

Away: Mitch, 4-year-old Great Dane boy, whom I love and adore but who is MUCHO happy with his girl, who came to our rescue when we needed a place to stash Mitch while we were househunting and ended up keeping him.

I also co-own about half a dozen Danes across the country, and we have a revolving door of Danes coming in and out while their owners are on vacation and so on.

The doggish family WILL grow--I am a multiple-dog person through and through. No idea when the next one will come, but it'll happen. In fact, I *may* be fostering a Weim puppy pretty soon; it's a ticklish situation where the family are fed up and want to get rid of the puppy, but don't want to go through rescue. If I can get my hands on him, he'll stay here until rescue has a place for him.
#24 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It is likely that our next foster will be a beagle (we're working with a hound rescue). I'm concerned about the barking and energy level. What is your beagle like?

he sleeps in an XL crate with the chug at night and when i'm not home, and the only time he howls/whines is when i first get up in the a.m. or get home from being out, and that's only because he's excited. otherwise he's not too noisy. as far as the energy level goes, he's kinda manic--he's either totally crashed out on the couch, or he's up and playing hard with the other 2. he loves to run in big laps around our yard (we're on a triple lot, so for the city it's a nice big fenced yard) while the other 2 try to catch him. we call him nascar jim since he's from the south and nascar is actually considered a sport there (and a popular one at that!)
#25 of 99 Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
I knew you must be in or near Detroit when I saw this name! I'm a few towns to your west.

when we lived in NC no one knew what the heck we were saying when they would ask what his name was.
#26 of 99 Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 PM

Here is a picture of all five cats together:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0007.jpg

Here is Phantom, my 4 year old male:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1113.jpg

Fiona, my first cat, 5 years old:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1109.jpg

Isis, 2 1/2 (auntie to Lily and Luna):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1146.jpg

From left to right - Lily (9 mos), Luna (Lilys sis), and Phantom:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_1099.jpg

My Blue Headed Pionus, Captain (2 1/2):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0433.jpg

Davy the Parakeet (1-ish):
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...a/IMG_0436.jpg

So, that's most of the crew (not pictured are a corn snake and four goldfish).
#27 of 99 Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Zamber, we should have a kitty playdate!

They're gorgeous, every one of them. I don't think I have a single shot with all five of ours. I see this as a challenge!
#28 of 99 Old 02-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Leo! Leo is the beautiful one! I love his expression!
#29 of 99 Old 02-15-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

My Leo? He's seriously the closest thing to an angel I have ever seen. I honestly believe he came to us from a higher power. And I'm not a person who generally says that kind of thing.
#30 of 99 Old 02-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi, I have a 3 year old fawn English Mastiff named Brutis: . A 2 year old fawn English Mastiff named Duster: . A 2 month old black Great Dane named Duchess: . A 2 year old white and gray cat named Puma: and lots of feeder fish in a rather large tank.

User Tag List